Apple iWatch Coming April 2015

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
ahh n
but Christian if all you want in a watch is a stop watch then why Hublot :confused:(which BTW I think is the nicest looking watch out there but it like all wrist band watches has truly come to the end of the road) BTW I will bet you the accuracy of the stop watch on the iWatch is better than the accuracy on your Hublot as the iWatch syncs with an atomic clock

Again, I love the Hublot although I would have gone with the Big Bang series but for a stop watch only not for me

I admire fine automatic watches mostly because of their craftsmanship, intricate design...movement complication. Electric watches have no soul so to speak...;)

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
It's not a watch, like the iPhone is not a phone so comparison to a mechanical watch is beside the point. Yeah, it's on your wrist and tells time, that being one of its 1000s of potential functions. In what circumstances would It be easier to not pull out your phone? Several of these were demoed; payments, tickets, home automation trigger, some alerts, etc -- so probably it will lead to less phone use, and yet probably drive add'l iPhone sales as well.

On top of all this are the biometrics, which I expect will be vastly expanded in V2. In fact, I'd expect a bigger jump from V1 to V2 than any other Apple product.

A big unanswered ? for me is upgradeabiliy, particularly for the more expensive pieces. A lot to pay for anyone really to be obsolete in a year. Anything but timeless :)

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
A big unanswered ? for me is upgradeabiliy, particularly for the more expensive pieces. A lot to pay for anyone really to be obsolete in a year. Anything but timeless

but each new version of anything will make its predecessor obsolete.

I do agree about the biometrics. I use the Health App religiously daily for the past 6 months

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
It is kind of ironic that smartphones made a lot of people not wear watches anymore. But here we are trying to convince them to wear one again! :)

I hate having to charge a watch. It is one last thing that doesn't need charging in my life. I will be kicking and screaming before I get a smart watch for general use. Wearing one to exercise and such, sure.

Steve Williams

The other issue this watch has is battery life. From what I hear, a charge only lasts 18hrs requiring daily charging.

and all automatic watches to function properly need a winder for when you remove it. So what am I missing here

Steve Williams

It is kind of ironic that smartphones made a lot of people not wear watches anymore. But here we are trying to convince them to wear one again! :)

I hate having to charge a watch. It is one last thing that doesn't need charging in my life. I will be kicking and screaming before I get a smart watch for general use. Wearing one to exercise and such, sure.

I would have to bet that if asked of the purchasers that 100% will answer that they bought it for everything other than a watch. The biometrics, health, home and car data will be top tier

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
and all automatic watches to function properly need a winder for when you remove it. So what am I missing here

My Hublot watch has a 72 hour mechanical power reserve. As long as it's back on my wrist before then, it never needs manual winding. I don't use watch winders and have been wearing fine auto watches since 1999. I rotate my collection on my wrist so that they are all used on a monthly basis to prevent lubricant drying.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
but each new version of anything will make its predecessor obsolete.

I do agree about the biometrics. I use the Health App religiously daily for the past 6 months

But you don't want a 10k+ item to be obselete in a year. And as I think there will be big jumps in early iterations, this may be an issue.

How are you using the health app Steve? Very curious.

It's not a watch, it just happens to be on your wrist and will leverage that positioning. What percentage of smartphone use is 'phone'?

If Apple can make it useful enough, people will accept it as something worth charging. The same argument was made against the iPhone when it came out. Battery life will get better in succeeding gens too.

Last edited:

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
My attention span is short enough already without having something on my wrist to constantly buzz and beep at me

I think what will be very important, and what was suggested in the presentation, is robust ability to filter what you want an alert for and what you want as a non-event.

Steve Williams

My attention span is short enough already without having something on my wrist to constantly buzz and beep at me

I think what will be very important, and what was suggested in the presentation, is robust ability to filter what you want an alert for and what you want as a non-event.

Precisely that. You can configure this device to be anything that you want

Steve Williams

How are you using the health app Steve? Very curious.

Since both knee replacement surgery last year I work out daily and have my iPhone 6+ always with me. The Health App BTW is always on so you don't need to activate it. I watch my steps taken, my walking and running distance taken and stair cases climbed. When I started last October I was doing 4000 steps per day, a little over a mile and 2-3 flights climbed. Presently I am doing over 12,000 steps per day, 7-8 miles taken and 11-12 flights climbed. As more health apps are written by developers these will integrate seamlessly with the health app.

BTW as far as charging the iwatch it is quite easy with a round cylinder with 3 metal connections that grasp the back of the watch. No batteries to replace.

I am going to buy the 42 mm iwatch in Space Black stainless steel with a Space Black link band

http://www.apple.com/watch/apple-watch/space-black-stainless-steel-case-space-black-link-bracelet/

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Since both knee replacement surgery last year I work out daily and have my iPhone 6+ always with me. The Health App BTW is always on so you don't need to activate it. I watch my steps taken, my walking and running distance taken and stair cases climbed. When I started last October I was doing 4000 steps per day, a little over a mile and 2-3 flights climbed. Presently I am doing over 12,000 steps per day, 7-8 miles taken and 11-12 flights climbed. As more health apps are written by developers these will integrate seamlessly with the health app.

BTW as far as charging the iwatch it is quite easy with a round cylinder with 3 metal connections that grasp the back of the watch. No batteries to replace.

I am going to buy the 42 mm iwatch in Space Black stainless steel with a Space Black link band

http://www.apple.com/watch/apple-watch/space-black-stainless-steel-case-space-black-link-bracelet/

Thx for the info Steve. I never carry my phone when I'm working out but will have to give it a shot.

The watch your picking was the one I gravitated to when I was looking them over on the site. Looks cool.

Steve Williams

Thx for the info Steve. I never carry my phone when I'm working out but will have to give it a shot.

The watch your picking was the one I gravitated to when I was looking them over on the site. Looks cool.

By using the iWatch I can work out without having to carry the iPhone on me at the time and it will all integrate with the health app.

BTW there are several sleep apps that I have also been trying out

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
By using the iWatch I can work out without having to carry the iPhone on me at the time and it will all integrate with the health app.

Steve, did you notice the iOS update for iPad/iPhone last evening that specifically listed features and changes specifically implemented for the iWatch?

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ

Being free of the phone for working out really appeals to me about the watch. Any impressions yet of the sleep apps?

Steve Williams

Steve, did you notice the iOS update for iPad/iPhone last evening that specifically listed features and changes specifically implemented for the iWatch?

Yes, I downloaded iOS 8.2 yesterday and it installs the iwatch app on your phone

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing