Apple iPhone 5 vs Samsung G/S4

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Did you just call everyone who owns an Apple iPhone an idiot?

Oh you missed a couple of beautiful posts on this by me and Keith - both deleted; actually I crafted mine so that Keith's would be rightly deleted :D

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
What I don't understand is how someone can make such an inflammatory statement and insult the intelligence of lots of people on this forum and their post wasn't immediately deleted. I have said far tamer things and had my posts deleted immediately.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
John,

You'll never catch me with a monstrosity like that Samsung Note :)
But Apple is not in this to fill every single market niche and segment. That's what Samsung does. When you have over 100 models out there, it gets pretty tough to properly support all of them. So Samsung just drops support for the older stuff.

alexandre

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
An iPhone is a crippled gadget with the advanced features hidden because Apple assumes their users are idiots. Which they are. It's like comparing a pocket calculator to a spreadsheet and complaining that the spreadsheet is too complicated.

I don't think the analogy is particularly valid, personally, but let's assume for the sake of argument that it is, and I want to do some basic math, I want a calculator, not a laptop and Excel. This makes me an idiot?

Tim

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Works perfect for you? That's great! Unfortunately, even Steve Jobs thought that MobileMe was rubbish: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/05/09/jobs_swear/

Even Apple engineers thought it was rubbish, and they blamed Steve Jobs for the screwup.

Perhaps you are one of the few who has not experienced major outages on iCloud, to the extent that even the Apple fanboi site The Verge recently published an article lambasting iCloud. Everybody, even Apple, has acknowledged problems with their cloud services. YOU seem to be the notable exception.

If you want cloud services that work - try Google Drive. Or Dropbox. Or even Microsoft's Skydrive.

In any case, I observe a consistent pattern among the Apple fanboys here. Even notable Apple fails such as iCloud and Apple Maps are to be defended at all cost, because Apple Can Do No Wrong. Even as Apple loses market share, wiping billions of dollars of value, the Apple fanboys here continue to claim that iDevices are selling "like there is no tomorrow". Gentlemen, this is called denying reality. This belief in the God-like powers of Apple, the fervour of which its reputation must be defended, even to the extent that the poster is willing to sacrifice his reputation and dignity is more akin to a religion than a phone company.

Apple fanboy here. I use Dropbox and Googlemaps. But I'm still an idiot.

Tim

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I'm sure for the basic stuff an Android works just like an iPhone. But if it won't work with iTunes, my airport extreme, MacBook, iPad, Airport express and Apple TV it is a crippled device in my houseful of idiot devices that all work together seamlessly, almost as if they were made to do that. And if it can't easily reach outside of it's "closed" system and share all of the above with my son's Playstation and my wife's PC and play their files as well as its own Apple files, it is a very limited device. Can I do most of the above with non-Apple devices and operating systems? Yes, I can. But thats where it starts to get hard, and less than stable.

Tim

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
John,

You'll never catch me with a monstrosity like that Samsung Note :)
But Apple is not in this to fill every single market niche and segment. That's what Samsung does. When you have over 100 models out there, it gets pretty tough to properly support all of them. So Samsung just drops support for the older stuff.

alexandre

LOL...yes, you and lots of other people, but it works for me. I use my phone for work 90% of the time and have dozens of lists in the form of notes and/or spreadsheets that I access several times times during the course of a day. With 200-250-300 lines of data per note/shreadsheet the larger screen allows me to locate data much more quickly. I guess I look at the phone as more of a mini-laptop as opposed to a communication device (email/texting/phone calls)

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I'm sure for the basic stuff an Android works just like an iPhone. But if it won't work with iTunes, my airport extreme, MacBook, iPad, Airport express and Apple TV it is a crippled device in my houseful of idiot devices that all work together seamlessly, almost as if they were made to do that. And if it can't easily reach outside of it's "closed" system and share all of the above with my son's Playstation and my wife's PC and play their files as well as its own Apple files, it is a very limited device. Can I do most of the above with non-Apple devices and operating systems? Yes, I can. But thats where it starts to get hard, and less than stable.

Tim

Here! Here ! Idiots Unite ! Maybe we can start a 12 Step Program. "Hi. My name is Chuck and I'm an idiot."

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
What I don't understand is how someone can make such an inflammatory statement and insult the intelligence of lots of people on this forum and their post wasn't immediately deleted. I have said far tamer things and had my posts deleted immediately.

I haven't done anything apart from state the obvious. If you pay too much money to be imprisoned in a closed system, where you are fed what your tech dictator Overlords want you to eat, where you are lied to and drip-fed incremental upgrades which are still years behind the competition - and if you don't have the good sense to get out, and are resistant to doing so because "it is too hard" ... there is only one word that describes you.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I haven't done anything apart from state the obvious. If you pay too much money to be imprisoned in a closed system, where you are fed what your tech dictator Overlords want you to eat, where you are lied to and drip-fed incremental upgrades which are still years behind the competition - and if you don't have the good sense to get out, and are resistant to doing so because "it is too hard" ... there is only one word that describes you.

Seriously, Keith. How old are you? What you wrote above sounds like a teenager. "Fight the man!", and so on and so forth...

alexandre

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
Seriously, Keith. How old are you? What you wrote above sounds like a teenager. "Fight the man!", and so on and so forth...

I bring up points for debate, and all you can do is try to denigrate me as a teenager? Do you have any points to contribute to the debate, Alex? No response to the tiny screen on the iPhone 5? The backwards software which hasn't changed for six years? The incredibly lame Apple maps, or Siri, or iCloud? The Orwellian tendency to censor apps from the app store? The fact that the iPhone 5 costs more than the competition yet offers less? No response to lack of LTE on iPhone (until i5) apart from "I live in Brazil so I don't need it"? And what about answering Amir's question - what is it that you find so difficult about Android? After all, you are a self-declared mobile phone professional. These are all worthwhile questions to be answered, yet the best you can do is try to shoot the messenger.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I bring up points for debate, and all you can do is try to denigrate me as a teenager? Do you have any points to contribute to the debate, Alex? No response to the tiny screen on the iPhone 5? The backwards software which hasn't changed for six years? The incredibly lame Apple maps, or Siri, or iCloud? The Orwellian tendency to censor apps from the app store? The fact that the iPhone 5 costs more than the competition yet offers less? No response to lack of LTE on iPhone (until i5) apart from "I live in Brazil so I don't need it"? And what about answering Amir's question - what is it that you find so difficult about Android? After all, you are a self-declared mobile phone professional. These are all worthwhile questions to be answered, yet the best you can do is try to shoot the messenger.

Sorry, your post just brought me back to the days when *I* was a teenager writing the same kind of thing on BBSes, in the pre-Internet days. Deja vu and all that.
Most of the things you mention in your so called "points" are absolutely no issue to me, and it seems, to a lot of other folks here. And I have even MORE reason to be mad at Apple, because I've had my fair share of grief with them over the app approval process. And yet you don't see me here on this forum, or anywhere else for that matter, calling them "Orwellian". It's their playground, it's their rules. You kind of get over it, you know.
The first thing people do when they look at an iPhone 5 screen is "wow, that's beautiful". And not "wow, that's tiny". YOU think it's tiny. I don't, and lots (and I do mean LOTS) of other folks don't. Again, learn to live with different opinions, get over it. Refusing to do so is... well... so teenagerish.
Android just got a proper IDE last month. It was HELL to develop on it. You can pick an iOS programmers out of trees here, they're everywhere. Of course, not all of them are good. But the tools make it so easy, that you end up with an App Store full of beautiful apps, that generates tons of cash for developers.
Android, OTOH, is a nightmare. I've heard it from the mouth of their developer evangelist a few years ago that "real mean code interfaces in XML". Yeah, sure. All while Apple had the most beautiful and easy to use IDE out there.
And I didn't answer Amir's post because I thought other people did it well enough. After all, I don't have an agenda, and I'm not obsessed enough over this to thrawl forums rebutting every single argument against my platform of choice.
I do think Android is a very worthwhile platform, and it's great to have it out there. It serves a purpose, as John made it perfectly clear, and Amir too. If only Apple and Blackberry existed, they'd have to settle down for something that's not exactly THEIR personal choice. I'm really honestly glad that Samsung is out there, cranking sh*tty model after sh*tty model.

alexandre

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Calling all mods-I'm appalled that Keith has been allowed to call all Apple iPhone owners idiots and not just once. I didn't know that this type of behavior was tolerated on WBF. Usually insulting a single person (no matter how much they deserve it) isn't tolerated and now we have an individual who is insulting lots of people on this forum at the same time who don't deserve it and that's ok??

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Calling all mods-I'm appalled that Keith has been allowed to call all Apple iPhone owners idiots and not just once. I didn't know that this type of behavior was tolerated on WBF. Usually insulting a single person (no matter how much they deserve it) isn't tolerated and now we have an individual who is insulting lots of people on this forum at the same time who don't deserve it and that's ok??

The funny thing is it's a fricking phone. Remember Telephone booth's ?
I have only seen this level of passion with regard to analog versus digital source. Now that is something to get worked up about...;)

mep

Apr 20, 2010
The funny thing is it's a fricking phone. Remember Telephone booth's ?
I have only seen this level of passion with regard to analog versus digital source. Now that is something to get worked up about...;)

I do find it ironic that someone could be so passionate about their 'brilliant' choice of phone and equally passionate about other people who choose to buy iPhones that they feel compelled to act like a know-it-all blowhard and insult everyone who isn't as 'smart' as they are and don't realize they should own the same phone.

In fact, I'm so stupid that I actually really like my iPhone. I think it works great and does everything I need a cell phone to do. But then, unlike some people I know, my life isn't centered around my cell phone which possibly contributes to my stupidity.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Mark

I agree with you. Keith, Im really surprised that in your zeal you find it necessary to make such broad sweeping statements. Simply put Keith we really like our IPhones and I must tell you that your method of argument by ad hominem attacks is unacceptable. It seems anything Apple touches a nerve with you. I say let it go Keith. You've made your point more than once so I strongly advise you to either ease up, drop the attacks or just let it go.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I do find it ironic that someone could be so passionate about their 'brilliant' choice of phone and equally passionate about other people who choose to buy iPhones that they feel compelled to act like a know-it-all blowhard and insult everyone who isn't as 'smart' as they are and don't realize they should own the same phone.

In fact, I'm so stupid that I actually really like my iPhone. I think it works great and does everything I need a cell phone to do. But then, unlike some people I know, my life isn't centered around my cell phone which possibly contributes to my stupidity.

Don't worry about it Mark. If we just start a handful of Apple fanboy threads, Keith will be stuck in a loop in them until his head explodes, and the problem will take care of itself. Should I put a smiley in here now? Can't hurt....:)

Tim

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Don't worry about it Mark. If we just start a handful of Apple fanboy threads, Keith will be stuck in a loop in them until his head explodes, and the problem will take care of itself. Should I put a smiley in here now? Can't hurt....:)

Tim

Tim-We should do a poll on how many people on WBF are dumb enough to own an iPhone to see what the percentage is of stupid people on WBF. I would think the percentage of stupid people who own iPhones on WBF is fairly high. My wife and I both own iPhones so that makes my family double stupid.

In fact, I'm so stupid that I have downloaded the 'remote' app and my iPhone acts as a remote control for my music server. I can pull up every music folder on my server from my listening chair with my iPhone and scroll through every song and play whatever I want. It's a pretty stupid capability, but I like it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing