Apple’s iPhone 6 is supposedly launching sooner than expected

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
By Chris Smith, BGR

Apple may launch the iPhone 6 earlier than anticipated, Economic Daily News (via Reuters) reports, with the 4.7-inch version reaching stores in August rather than September, followed a month later by the bigger 5.5-inch iPhone 6 model.

Recent reports indicated that the 4.7-inch iPhone would arrive late in the third quarter this year, while the phablet version would only be available to customers in late fourth quarter due to various delays related to potential battery supply issues and Sapphire display production.

Reuters says that “people involved in the supply chain” had earlier confirmed the 4.7-inch and the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 models.

The Economic Daily News reported that Apple will sell no fewer than 80 million iPhone 6 units this year, including both the 4.7-inch and the 5.5-inch model. In order for Apple to sell that many iPhone 6 units this year, the company has to bring at least one of them to stores earlier than expected, as it’ll likely need more than one quarter to move so many units.

So far, Apple’s best quarter is last year’s Christmas quarter (or Apple’s first quarter in fiscal year 2014), when the company sold 51 million iPhones, a mix of iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c and iPhone 4s models.

Recent reports claimed that Foxconn and Pegatron have already received iPhone 6 orders, although neither company would confirm them.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Sometimes I believe I am the only one who does not want a larger iPhone. My 5s is almost too large to carry in my front pocket. I have no issues with the screen and it does everything I currently need it to.

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
These early release rumors appear every year and every year it's a Sept release. What I wonder is whether they're keeping the current size as well. None of what I've read mentions that, but perhaps (very likely) it's assumed as it's the best-selling phone in the world.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Sometimes I believe I am the only one who does not want a larger iPhone. My 5s is almost too large to carry in my front pocket. I have no issues with the screen and it does everything I currently need it to.

You're not alone. I don't see the fascination with these huge phones that barely fit anywhere, let alone in a pocket. For larger screen browsing and such, I keep my iPad mini in the backpack, and only pull it when I need it. For just about everything else, the iPhone works beautifully.

Of course, if Apple pulls a miracle, and is able to do a slightly larger screen without the bulk (by maybe getting rid of the bezels), I won't complain :)

alexandre

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
September release suits me perfectly as that is when my current mobile contract expires, so I can upgrade, wipe my Iphone 5 then put it up for sale ;)

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
September release suits me perfectly as that is when my current mobile contract expires, so I can upgrade, wipe my Iphone 5 then put it up for sale ;)

Maybe you should sell it now and get a cheapie to tide you over until September.
You'll get a lot less for it if you sell it after the 6 is released/ announced

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Maybe you should sell it now and get a cheapie to tide you over until September.
You'll get a lot less for it if you sell it after the 6 is released/ announced
It's a bit hard as part of my contract is paying off my phone, so I figure if i'm paying off a phone I might as well get the use out of it. Also technically I don't really own it until my contract is finished. Not to say I can't sell it, but the dough still has to be paid off :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing