Anyone want to Buy a Domain Name?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
It's live now. It is easy to have that happen though if you don't put in auto-renewal and a valid credit card.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Amir-It's still not working correctly. Only portions of the site are working. I was afraid some hackers had taken over and everyone's CC info was compromised.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
It was working last night. I was about to renew my yearly blue book subscription but got called away to make dinner. Somebody is in SERIOUS trouble over at the Gon if this was all about an expiration!

If it indeed is, oh man, who the heck was hiding in the bushes ready to ambush them?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Very strange, the site was up about 4PM PST and now down again. Same domain name issue:(
I wander how many other members like myself are running ads on their site right now:confused:
Somehow, i doubt they will be giving any kind of a refund due to the site being down:(

I may have to buy their domain name myself, just for the heck of it:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
How does this domain-host thing work anyway?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Jack, I'm by no means an expert on the subject:rolleyes:, but my understanding of how the domain-host thing works is as follows: The host....usually an online Company like Go-Daddy etc, is able to register any domain name that is a .com,.net etc. with a domain acceptance registry. ( assuming of course that the domain name is not already reserved). Upon registration, the domain name is assigned to you- the user. This registration is assigned for a specific amount of time, with an expiration date. ( You pay a registration fee and an annual fee). Upon the expiration of the contract (wherein, you have failed to pay the renewal fees), the domain name gets inactivated for a period of time ( I believe it to be a month). In that time, you and only you can re-register the name and re-activate your domain name site. If you fail to pay the renewal fees, after the expiration of the time, then the domain name goes out to the public domain.
It would appear that A'gon failed to pay their renewal fees:(:(

I will wait and see if the name goes into the public domain......NOT holding breath though:rolleyes:
In the meantime, the site is still down.... a disgrace considering the scope of this particular company:(

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Adding more detail to What Dave just said, there is a "distributed database" on the Internet which maps from host/domain names (e.g. whatsbestoforum.com) and the actual numeric address of the server (IP address). This translation is mandatory as the computer protocols to communicate relies on having the IP address.

Originally a single service provided all of this who is now called Network Solutions Inc. They were the only registry for new domain names. Once you registered with them, then a set of servers around the world would "cache" the same data so that when you wanted to talk to another computer, you wouldn't have to go to NSI's servers. Today, your ISP provides such a cache as do other third-parties.

When you register a new domain name, it takes a few hours sometimes for the name and address pair to propagate across the Internet. And when you lose it, it also takes a bit of time for it to disappear. This may be the reason why some of us could see Audiogone but others could not.

Companies registering your domain name charge a year fee. Smart thing is to set it up for auto-renewal but this doesn't always work. If your credit card company changes your card number as they do every few years or the expiration date changes, then the automatic billing doesn't work. The registrar will send notices but people forget what email address they put in the record and notices are lost too, leading to domains expiring.

BTW, there is strong federal law protection against someone stealing your domain name even if it did expire. All you have to show is that the domain name is a brand under which you have been operating and you can get it back. Indeed, we had to do that for my business. We had a guy to do the registration for us. As has happened here, I went to do something, and that deleted all the domain registry records. Went to fix it, only to realize I had no authorization to do that! I could delete things but not add it back in!!! Suffice it to say, over a weekend, we lost everything: the domain name, email, everything. I went back to the guy and asked him what is up, and to get control back and he refused! Had to get my attorney involved and $1,000 later, he relented when he realized he didn't have a case.

So be very careful when you get domain names registered. Make absolutely sure you own the domain even if you change ISPs. Some will hold it hostage forcing you to use them forever.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Thanks, I was hoping you would step in Amir:cool:

Your advice about getting domain names registered is very appropriate. I wander if A'gon is being held hostage by one of these less than scrupulous parties:confused::confused::confused::eek:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing