Anyone older in age eventually go from their beloved speakers to headphones instead? Please share!

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Not clear on what your “Never!” refers to.

I did not say I prefer headphones. I said I would not choose them unless it were necessary.

I’m sure your M3s are excellent. I like my speakers better than headphones too. But my happiness is not tied to the speakers. My happiness is tied to the music.

Sorry, I wasn’t clearer. What I meant is that our regular speakers aren’t replaceable by a set of headphones. I don’t hate headphones (we’re looking at a new setup now), they are awesome as another source, but if that was all I could own - I wouldn’t. They would remind me too much of what I’m missing with regular speakers. And thus they wouldn’t be satisfying long term ...

That’s just me. I know a guy who sold his main setup and now has a very high-end headphone system and is very content.

Reactions: Alrainbow

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I wonder why no one has created a suit that lays on you and injects vibrations. Gives the tactile headphones lack. I guess you could sit in a swarm of subs. But that would be very annoying to others.

I also wonder why no one has taken that egg type chair with all the speakers and not built upon that for a fully sealed enclosure. Climb into the listening pod.
Then you could really feel it. Might as well throw some video in on that system.
They make chairs and couches or cushions
They also make neck pillows as well.
ive tried a sub it’s pretty cool and does make cans seem more like speakers a bit

Reactions: Audire

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I’ve tried 10 pairs of bone conduction phones most stink but the best I found on clarity is olandance
but non can compare to good ear buds

gadawg58

Apr 7, 2018
I use a pair of Focal Clear headphones with a Chord Hugo 2 DAC when I'm in my office working or traveling and want to listen to music. I've listened to higher end headphones with better headphone DAC's and for me it's never going to replace the experience of my full system and room so what I have is good enough for its limited use. I agree with Joe above ... if headphones were all I could have I think I would have nothing ... would just keep reminding me of what I don't have.

George

Reactions: Audire

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
They make chairs and couches or cushions
They also make neck pillows as well.
ive tried a sub it’s pretty cool and does make cans seem more like speakers a bit
Yes the LoveSac will give you an immersive experience. Uses Harman Kardon speakers.

IMG_0834.jpeg

Reactions: Alrainbow

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I use a pair of Focal Clear headphones with a Chord Hugo 2 DAC when I'm in my office working or traveling and want to listen to music. I've listened to higher end headphones with better headphone DAC's and for me it's never going to replace the experience of my full system and room so what I have is good enough for its limited use. I agree with Joe above ... if headphones were all I could have I think I would have nothing ... would just keep reminding me of what I don't have.

George
sort of reminds me of athletes who would rather sit out the season than a $300 million contract. It 's liken cutting off your ears to spite your head.
Given the choice i would definitely choose headphones over nothing. Not to mention over a lot of but not all speakers.

AS always, your is your choice.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
18k all in too I looked into it. Got a large Sonos and new couch lol.
Wow 18k for that! That would purchase a good sound system and a lawn chair to listen to it in. ;)

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Not clear on what your “Never!” refers to.

I did not say I prefer headphones. I said I would not choose them unless it were necessary.

I’m sure your M3s are excellent. I like my speakers better than headphones too. But my happiness is not tied to the speakers. My happiness is tied to the music.
That's a great approach - no matter the gear used, music is always the top priority! :)

Reactions: Another Johnson

Cincy2

VIP/Donor
Jun 2, 2016
Tampa, Florida
To the OP,

Yes. A few years ago I sold off my two channel speakers and amps with the intent of simplifying the system and accounting for my gradual hearing loss (I'm 70). I experimented with all manner of headphones and amps. Upgraded my front end to make sure they were getting the best input possible. At the end of the day, I settled on Abyss headphones and a dCS Lina amp. While the sound was very good, it could not replace the immersive soundstage a good two channel system can provide. Hence, all headphones and amps are for sale and I am finishing off a very good two channel system I will take to the grave. Even with my high frequency loss, it's still sounds amazingly good.

Cincy

gadawg58

Apr 7, 2018
sort of reminds me of athletes who would rather sit out the season than a $300 million contract. It 's liken cutting off your ears to spite your head.
Given the choice i would definitely choose headphones over nothing. Not to mention over a lot of but not all speakers.

AS always, your is your choice.
I certainly understand your analogy but I want to explain where I'm coming from ... I think it's totally subjective in that if you wanted a $600MM contract(don't we all?) are the headphones like a $300MM, $30MM, or 3k contract? Only that athlete can decide at what point they sit out. I think we can all agree that for some amount sitting out probably makes sense much as most of us would get no enjoyment listening to music via AM radios. Now I'm not saying a high end head phone setup is like AM radio but for me music is all about an emotion, an image, a feeling, a memory I get either at a live musical event or listening via my 2 channel system in that order. For me, I get zero sense of emotional engagement from any headphones that I've ever tried. I'm not opposed to the idea just haven't heard any that moved me in any meaningful way. I'm certainly happy for and totally respect those that do enjoy a great set of headphones much as I enjoy my 2 channel setup .. keeps more folks engaged with the music and our hobby and maybe someday I'll find those perfect set of cans for me!

I'm just thankful I don't have to make that choice today as I like keeping my ears where they are! :cool:

George

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Life, like an athlete's career, is short. Doing nothing for a significant period of time is a loss. Curiously you claim doing nothing is an option, then you switch back to channel. You don't need to justify your choice to me.
If your system was down, I could satisfy you with a headphone setup. It would not be that complicated or expensive.
BTW Lamar Jackson resigned with Baltimore. Thank goodness.

gadawg58

Apr 7, 2018
We will just have to agree to disagree with me being satisfied by a headphone setup for now! After my divorce a long time ago ... the audio system at the time had to go and all I had left was my receiver and cheap speakers from high school .. didn't listen to music much for years until I could afford something that was closer to what I was used to so I've actually been in kinda that situation and that's actually what I did ... neither of us have to agree ... its just what was right for me.

Guess you weren't a fan of Lamar's?

Cheers!

George

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
FWIW, the Sennheiser HD800S headphones and Sennheiser HDV820 headphone amp do present a very pleasing sonic picture. And the HD800S headphones are quite comfortable on my head. They’re quite pleasant when I want to listen to music with high dynamic range, but don’t wish to disturb others nearby.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
FWIW, the Sennheiser HD800S headphones and Sennheiser HDV820 headphone amp do present a very pleasing sonic picture. And the HD800S headphones are quite comfortable on my head. They’re quite pleasant when I want to listen to music with high dynamic range, but don’t wish to disturb others nearby.
The HD800S is especially pleasant when paired with a slightly warmer-sounding system. I've tested it with Pro iDSD Signature and it blew me away - especially in terms of the soundstage.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
We will just have to agree to disagree with me being satisfied by a headphone setup for now! After my divorce a long time ago ... the audio system at the time had to go and all I had left was my receiver and cheap speakers from high school .. didn't listen to music much for years until I could afford something that was closer to what I was used to so I've actually been in kinda that situation and that's actually what I did ... neither of us have to agree ... its just what was right for me.

Guess you weren't a fan of Lamar's?

Cheers!

George
We can disagree on the objective. Your preference is your preference.
I ama big fan of Lamar Jackson the quarterback. I just don't care much for him as a negotiator.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I think we have a third option and it’s one I’ve gone to.
nyc is my home to 2 big rigs
Down south my home is iems , various headphones and now Apple home pods
I use 6 in my home office also a second media surround. using the HomePods is easy like headphones and still fills the room with sound

bozebuttons

Nov 6, 2022
I am 71 & have been in both camps for a long time I have a large collection of headphones.
I also have a 2chanel speaker system as well & enjoy listening to both as they both have there strengths.
I enjoy listening to music with both..

Reactions: Another Johnson

bozebuttons

Nov 6, 2022
Hey @bozebuttons! What headphones are there in your collection?
Sony OGR10 bass heavy,Quilia 010,AKG1000,Akg701Akg340,Hifiman Susvara,He500 hardwired wire world eclipse cable,OG jade
Sennhieser HD800 Sdr,Hd650 Beyer. Dynamics T5p hardwired Black dragon
AudioTechnics ATH2000 hardwired enigma cable
Grado HP1000 HP1 HP2 Hp3,GS1000 prototype,Og RS1 button early OG sr60,HF1,Hf2, GH2
Abyss 1266 Tc ,Audez Mobius
Iems Custom UE11,JHaudio 3a ,shure E500,Yuin GH2
Sold
Senn HEV90./2 he90s Senn HE60
Stax Omega 007
MK1,SRXMK!
Senn HE600
GradoPs-1
Beyer Dt990

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing