Anyone heard Jean Maurer?

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
They've been around awhile I guess, but not common outside of Europe I guess?

I enjoy watching their video of building. Their choices with some things are interesting, and they make everything in-house.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I wouldn't call them audiophile speakers but they have a solid design and sonically similar to early larger Proacs.

david

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Do they sell them at some sorta lifestyle place in Switzerland? I’m never sure what “not audiophile” means since at first Klipsch fit that, but doesn’t anymore... You see them at places like Dartzheel’s listening room.

The few videos on YouTube don’t sound good but that isn’t tell tale of everything. Their technique for reducing woofer vibrations is kinda neat, and one of the most effective uses of sand (people often use it poorly).

The mysterious part to me is their choice of wood. But I wouldn’t hold it against then without hearing. They claim very low distortion, which opens another big bag of curiosity - mostly if it means they sound thin.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Do they sell them at some sorta lifestyle place in Switzerland? I’m never sure what “not audiophile” means since at first Klipsch fit that, but doesn’t anymore... You see them at places like Dartzheel’s listening room.

The few videos on YouTube don’t sound good but that isn’t tell tale of everything. Their technique for reducing woofer vibrations is kinda neat, and one of the most effective uses of sand (people often use it poorly).

The mysterious part to me is their choice of wood. But I wouldn’t hold it against then without hearing. They claim very low distortion, which opens another big bag of curiosity - mostly if it means they sound thin.
I don't know where or how they're sold but I've heard them in other people's systems. Audiophile speakers are like mc cartridges they enhance the sound and beautify it somewhat, why some mm cartridges are so sought after by some. They have a clean dynamic sound but the bass isn't as expansive as a 70's-80's JBLs which were closer to the old Klipsch. It's a tight bass and doesn't sound as low it is. Sound is difficult to explain, you'd know what I mean if you were familiar with early Proacs.

david

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Sadly I am not, but it sounds like they’re average over damped/wrongly damped speakers. I’m not surprised. But sometimes when I see something very different going on I wonder if they know something.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Sadly I am not, but it sounds like they’re average over damped/wrongly damped speakers. I’m not surprised. But sometimes when I see something very different going on I wonder if they know something.
When you say over damped I think of the current Wilson speakers or Rockport Altair’s, it’s nothing like that. The Maurer sound is fast and dynamic but a bit dry which isn’t necessarily a bad thing just that the bass is tight like British studio monitors of the 80’s, ATC is another brand from that period with a similar bass presence.

david

Last edited:
Reactions: bazelio

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I’ve heard them many many times as their factory is 20min drive away from my place and i do enjoy going there as the entire family is just wonderful. Speakers they produce do look as they are stuck in time since ‘70s but Jean has been upgrading them constantly. Sound wise i can just say that they produce music in the most positive way and I was never disappointed with the performance. Once i was there with several hifi buddies after visiting one of the most hot sellers in the industry at the moment and the guys preferred what they heard at JM as it was just pure joy to listen to their system and speakers. Maybe its not the ultimate HiEnd by today standards but still those speakers don’t let down IMHO at all. 4EF3802E-654A-4859-AE34-81A515B7A9EA.jpeg
61D72216-2E57-4448-A4FD-A61146B8293D.jpeg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing