Anyone have experience with the SPL Performer s800?

jimbones

Sep 1, 2018
Thinking of getting this amp, was looking for info..

jimbones

Sep 1, 2018
just bought one, will give it some time to break in and do some listening.

Reactions: Addicted to hifi

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Word is the SPL phono is pretty decent as well. Looking forward to learning how you like the amp...

jimbones

Sep 1, 2018
So far from initial listening it has a great extended high end, no graininess very clean. It is quite good. I suspect that it probably sounds a lot like the Benchmark. It doesn't favor any part of the musical spectrum. Very neutral. It runs exceptionally cool and has loads of power. It runs full Class B. I am convinced in its price range it is extremely competitive. My Wells has a more colored sound I just happen to like. I could live with both, the only thing is the input impedance is 10K ohm so be aware.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
So far from initial listening it has a great extended high end, no graininess very clean. It is quite good. I suspect that it probably sounds a lot like the Benchmark. It doesn't favor any part of the musical spectrum. Very neutral. It runs exceptionally cool and has loads of power. It runs full Class B. I am convinced in its price range it is extremely competitive. My Wells has a more colored sound I just happen to like. I could live with both, the only thing is the input impedance is 10K ohm so be aware.
What speakers do you have?

jimbones

Sep 1, 2018
@KAL I design and build my own. I am currently using a pair of WWT Satori MW16P and TW29R with GR Research H Frame subs (dual 12 each side). Satori drivers are very detailed and revealing, almost too much so. They will reveal any weakness upstream.

Reactions: Kal Rubinson

KESM

Oct 29, 2022
Old thread…I just purchased the SPL S800. It’s driving a pair of Spendor Classic 4/5 monitors in a desktop setup. I realize this is arguably overkill relative to the speakers spec. but the amplification provided is truly remarkable.

For the uninitiated…the input and throughput (output) is balanced…so you’ll need an RCA to XLR adapter cable to make an unbalanced (preamp) to balanced connection.

This amp isn’t noted much online…my speculative opinion…likely due to the balanced only input and possibly price prohibitive…along with the ‘no return’ policy at some online retailers/dealers. I found one @ Amazon from Hi-Fi Heaven. The stock status immediately changed to currently no longer available. Not sure what that!’s about. Hi-Fi Heaven later reached out to me to inform me that a black model would have to be ordered. It arrived in about 2 weeks.

I’m hesitant to describe the sound quality as your mileage may vary, from my initial experience, given this amp is true to whatever source signal it’s fed. I can say the noise floor is dead silent…a must for me…& it has raw power to make light work of dynamic swings…so it can carry the weight of a movie score…& the hushed passages when called upon.

PROS:
Power on tap will assuredly drive most speakers (reducing the need to upgrade)
L&R channel trim is an unexpected nice-to-have and is an effective feature (to modify amp ‘gain’).

CONS:
No standby button on the front panel—on/off rocker is located on the back (you must power this amp on last and cut it off first to avoid potentially throwing it into protective mode); this applies to users who don’t leave their systems constantly on. Note: this may be a one off (isolated experience).

No RCA output as aforementioned (adapter cables required if warranted).

Reactions: CKKeung
Oct 31, 2022
I picked up a S800 a couple months ago and had quite a terrible experience with it. I used a REL Tzero subwoofer that connected to it using a high level input cable and the subwoofer barely moved. I had though maybe it was my subwoofer but when I swapped the S800 out with a Schiit Aegir, the subwoofer came back to life. I swapped the S800 with a new replacement unit and after one day of using it, the right channel went out. I just requested a refund after that.

I'm surprised that all the reviews on this unit have been positive because the amp was very lacking imo. The Schiit Aegir that I used to test was a two tiers above in enjoyability and musicality. The SPL was closed in and "neutral" but lacked dynamics. The only thing I thought it did well was clear vocals with a pretty solid center image. Needless to say I was extremely disappointed by my experience with the S800. I think there's probably a good reason why there aren't as many S800 owners as there are AHB2 owners.

rossb

May 24, 2017
That's surprising. I bought an S800 some time ago as a back up for my Pass XA25 during summer. I ended up selling the XA25 because I prefer the SPL amp. I find it extremely powerful and dynamic, as well as very musical. I use it with an SPL Elector Mk 2 preamp, which replaced an EAR 868.

Oct 31, 2022
Yeah, I was just as surprised that nobody warned me. I can possibly chalk it up to bad synergy but I was so disappointed in it. I rarely find a piece of gear that I had such a disliking to that I've personally purchased after doing the research.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I picked up a S800 a couple months ago and had quite a terrible experience with it. I used a REL Tzero subwoofer that connected to it using a high level input cable and the subwoofer barely moved. I had though maybe it was my subwoofer but when I swapped the S800 out with a Schiit Aegir, the subwoofer came back to life. I swapped the S800 with a new replacement unit and after one day of using it, the right channel went out. I just requested a refund after that.

I'm surprised that all the reviews on this unit have been positive because the amp was very lacking imo. The Schiit Aegir that I used to test was a two tiers above in enjoyability and musicality. The SPL was closed in and "neutral" but lacked dynamics. The only thing I thought it did well was clear vocals with a pretty solid center image. Needless to say I was extremely disappointed by my experience with the S800. I think there's probably a good reason why there aren't as many S800 owners as there are AHB2 owners.
REL subs with fully balanced amps can cause some issues due to common ground. Heard about this with my Ampzillas. It’s just not compatible.

KESM

Oct 29, 2022
I have the Schiit Aegir amp. I’ve had it for well over a year…while great…after swapping in the S800…I’ve decided to sell the Schiit. The results are night and day…and highly remarkable…with the SPL 800 outperforming the Schiit Aegir in every way in my desktop system. It’s not even a close contest to my ears (readily notable). I don’t know that it’s fair to compare the two amps, other than the compact size, as the designs are likely for different applications. The Aegir amp seems poised for high efficient speaker set ups. Albeit my experience doesn’t discount anyone else’s…as I’ve been disappointed with touted amps as well along my audio journey. I think in my case the additional power of the S800 fed into the (84db) Spendor Classic monitors was the heard difference (synergy galore). The dynamics are profoundly notable.

I have a REL T5i sub and have the SPL 800 connected via high level connection (Arrow wireless). I experienced a grounding noise issue but it was eliminated by following the REL guide (link below). In my case…I ran a RCA output cable from my preamp to the LFE input on the REL Arrow. The end result was dead silence. See link below (2 methods to eliminate ground noises are offered by REL).

I’ve thought to sell the REL sub..as the SPL has increased the LF in my set up tremendously. The REL is just added muscle for kicks. I don’t know that it’s required…as I’d thought…given what the S800 brings to my set up.

Note: The SPL has lived up to its name (Performer)…powerhouse in a small package…it controls the speakers extremely well…the bass is taut and present…even at low listening levels…and the mids are gorgeous via the Spendors…with high frequencies that don’t offer any ear fatigue. It is a complete amp in my rig…lacking in no way…yet it walks a delicate line…& delivers hushed tones and decay like no other amp that I’ve owned (ex. Schiit, Hegel, Krell—which are no slouches in their own regard).

I cannot speak on the Benchmark AHB2 amp. I considered it..given its small scale and high power output..& easier distribution here in the US. One would have to try it to know if it would work in their set up like all things I suspect. I did purchase the Benchmark RCA to balanced cable to connect my preamp to the S800.
PC>Hafler 75 DAC>LTA MZ3 preamp>SPL S800

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2022
I was in shock to have heard the SPL S800 perform so poorly in my system that I was convinced it was defective. After getting another unit, it sounded quite dead and boring. Maybe the synergy was just really off with my system. Just wanted to let it out there that not all experiences with the S800 have been so amazing.

KESM

Oct 29, 2022
Understood. I’ve found similar hits and misses when I’ve swapped out amps, speakers, DACs as well. I think we have to demo it in our systems to know for certain. I also think a significant omission on audio forums…is the lack of transparency around our individual equipment chains….given audio separates rely heavily on other pieces of equipment to operate/perform. So we can’t conclude a unit is good/bad and then conflate that personal experience onto others. It’s still great to share when something works to our excitement or fails to our dismay…either to encourage or warn others…& reviews are great windows…but ultimately I’ve found you have to bite the bullet and try out a component to conclude/educate yourself with a particular piece…given our equipment chain and rooms are all differently composed and designed.

Best to all in figuring it out.

Scott Naylor

Mar 19, 2021
Just another voice in the wilderness stating how happy I am with my SPL 800. (It replaced a BEL 1001 mk II that finally gave up the ghost). A couple things noted about the SPL are it’s relatively low input impedance at 10k and ample sensitivity. I found in my system by using the amp's input gain adjustment to lower that sensitivity and asking my preamp to work a bit harder allows the best dynamic range and contrast.

And as mentioned above, the supplied feet are really quite poor and makes one wonder what was the design criteria when you see how well made the rest of the amp is? The quality of what it sits on and the cables plugged into it are revealed very clearly. IMHO it’s not an amp to “fix” a system weakness. HTH

Serenade

Nov 30, 2022
Performer S1200 owner here. I auditioned S800 and S1200 and ended up with the S1200. The S1200 is better by a wide margin in all areas of sound. Excellent amplifier without even taking into account price. Ergonomics dodgy, looks dull, and casing is purely functional. But sound wise, it punches way above it's price and looks.

I got a lot more from my amp by using Harmonix footers and switching power cords. There will be differences/improvements with various cords and footers. It is up to you to experiment and find those that work for you. My experience is that both the amp and pre do respond positively to careful tweaking.

rossb

May 24, 2017
Performer S1200 owner here. I auditioned S800 and S1200 and ended up with the S1200. The S1200 is better by a wide margin in all areas of sound. Excellent amplifier without even taking into account price. Ergonomics dodgy, looks dull, and casing is purely functional. But sound wise, it punches way above it's price and looks.

That is interesting. Can you describe if possible how the S1200 sounds better "by a wide margin"?

I have the S800 and it is ideal for my small speakers (Penaudio Cenya Signature). I don't need the extra power of the S1200 and certainly would prefer not to have the extra size and weight, but if it sounds significantly better I may have to look into upgrading.

Serenade

Nov 30, 2022
This is how it went at the dealer's. I was there to audition a totally unrelated product. I had exceeded by allocated time slot. A present S800 owner with an appointment came in and asked for the S800 to be played as a reference before auditioning the S1200 to see if worth the upgrade. The S800 was played. I stood towards the back, casually listening and surfing the net. The S800 sounded ordinary to my ears. Then when the S1200 was plugged in, my ears picked up even though I not paying attention. This plain-Jane amplifier had bass grip, deep bass, staging, imaging, speed and HF refinement. The jump from S800 to S1200 was big overall and apparent.

Fast forward six months. My Audio Research Ref 5SE and Karan KAS180mk2 were getting long in years and needed renewal. As I needed to simplify my system, integrateds from Gryphon, Vitus, Goldmund, Vinnie Rossi and Pass became targets and auditioned. All sounded like a sideways move despite a hefty top-up. In the interim, my speakers had gone from Sophia 3 to TAD Evolution 1 with a corresponding need for more power. In my audition at home of SPL gear, the SPL Director was quickly eliminated, being not good enough. The built-in DAC added a layer of noise, grain and robbed some of the dynamics. Compared to the simpler Elector pre.

I ended up buying an Elector and SPL1200 together. They are a cost effective way to renew my system. I did get a small upgrade in the bass region along with more details in the mids compared to the old gear. I am a happy camper with Elector and S1200.

Reactions: CKKeung

rossb

May 24, 2017
Thanks, that is a very interesting account of your experience.

The SPL amps have certainly seen off some much more expensive competition - beating Gryphon, Vitus, Goldmund etc is quite an achievement! In my own case, I sold my EAR 868 preamp and Pass XA25 after getting the SPL amps.

Your comment about the Elector vs Director is unexpected. I bought the Director, intending to use the internal DAC. However, I was not too impressed with the internal DAC and ended up getting a Bricasti M3 which is much better. I had not considered that the Elector might sound better than the Director as a preamp. I certainly prefer the Director to the EAR 868 which preceded it.

Sounds like I might have to try both the Elector and the S1200.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing