Anyone have a Tesla S?

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I'm on the waiting list, number 10098. Just wanted to see whether anyone has one and what they think. My $5K deposit is fully refundable until the point at which they call me that my car is ready to be built and what accessories, etc. I want with it.

Thanks, Larry

Last edited:

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Indeed. I had a personal demo at Fashion Island and was thoroughly impressed. Now if I only had a spare 80K.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
My local Tesla store opened today. Checked out the new model S. Very puzzling to me, because this car is either going to be great or a TOTAL flop:confused:. The interior looked kind of futuristic BUT also kind of cheap and nasty. The BIG screen center console was trick, BUT would you want that kind of distraction while driving?? The chassis, which was separately displayed looked cheap, BUT probably would suffice for its purpose. I wasn't sure IF I was looking at Hyundai with an electric motor and a $25K+ price difference, OR I was looking at the next BIG thing in motoring history and a great car:confused::confused:
One thing's for sure, I did NOT put up the $5000- deposit.

For some reason, I kept on having flash backs to the first time I saw the DeLorean.:b

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
Big difference, Deloren had big forces working against his success and Tesla has the same pushing theirs , 10 yrs "forward" the Deloren will still have more value .

:)

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
My electric DeLorean, I mean, Tesla arrived yesterday - they deliver it to your house, since there are no dealerships. Got to drive around town and on the freeway some yesterday and today. Lots of fun for a big car - quite easy to handle and with a one speed engine, it has lots of torque at low speeds. With the discounted electrical rates for electric vehicles at night, it looks like I can get a fill up at home for about $5 - that will take me between 200 and 250 miles. Sound system is pretty good - it connects to an iphone by bluetooth but I haven't figured that out yet (I haven't figured out how to put music in my iphone!). There is some music service called Slacker (never heard of it before) that comes with it. It lists four classical music stations - but two of them have movie soundtracks - boo.

The car has two USB ports, but no DAC for hirez music files. I will have to figure out whether it will recognize a portable hard drive loaded with 44.1/16 files.

Larry

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Larry

congratulations on your new ride

I saw them first in the Tesla store just down the road from you in Santana Row in San Jose. Gorgeous car. I'm surprised that a full charge is only $5.00

What is great is that PG&E, our and your former electric utility, has a special electric vehicle rate, where you can charge at off peak times for slightly under 4 cents/kwH. So 100 kwH costs about $4. The car's batteries hold 85 kwH, so it is actually less than $5.

BTW, the car costs as much as two pairs of interconnects, 1 set of speaker cables, and 3 power cords from Nordost Odin.

Larry

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Enjoy your new ride.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
BTW, the car costs as much as two pairs of interconnects, 1 set of speaker cables, and 3 power cords from Nordost Odin.

Larry

Larry, that's a good one. However, remember that the technology in the Odin's is FAR more advanced than in the Tesla and the complexity of build is far more encompassing.;)

On a more serious note, a colleague of mine has owned one for about a month now. Looks great in the garage and he just loves it. I like it more and more every time I see it.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Tesla’s Elon Musk slams New York Times review

By Hayley Tsukayama

Tesla chief executive Elon Musk is taking the New York Times to task for what he says is an unreasonable review of the Tesla Model S.

The prominent entrepreneur, also known for founding SpaceX and PayPal, said that a Times reviewer did not follow instructions during his review of the Tesla Model S and did not include important portions of the trip in the resulting article — accusations the paper calls “flatly untrue.”

The electric car, which is supposed to offer the ride of a high-end sedan, is advertised with a 265-mile range per charge. The company says that can get up to 300 miles, in ideal conditions. But the New York Times reviewer had several problems completing the journey between the company’s two East Coast charging stations. In fact, the car actually shut down on him during the drive after he repeatedly called Tesla personnel for help, forcing him to coast off the highway and call a tow service.

Musk questioned the reviewer’s actions, however. He said diagnostic data from the test model shows the article left out several key points, including the fact that the reviewer reportedly took an undisclosed detour through city traffic instead of the more fuel-efficient highway.

The executive also said that the reviewer didn’t properly charge the car, and drove too fast.

“He did not charge up the car to full capacity; not even close,” Musk said in an interview with Bloomberg West.

He said that the company was able to check the newspaper’s review by checking diagnostic data from the car. Generally speaking, Musk said, the company only turns on the tracking tool by request, but always keeps the tool on during press reviews.

To prove his assertions, Musk said that the company will publish the driving log from the car used for the review.

The newspaper disputed Musk’s version of the drive, and repeated what Tesla personnel told the reviewer in the story — that cold East Coast temperatures may have been a key contributing factor to the car’s poor performance.

“Our reporter followed the instructions he was given in multiple conversations with Tesla personnel,” the Times said in a statement. “He described the entire drive in the story; there was no unreported detour. And he was never told to plug the car in overnight in cold weather, despite repeated contact with Tesla.”

In the Times review, Tesla official J B Straubel said it was “disappointing” to him that the car didn’t work as planned and added that road trips in an electric car “takes more planning” than a traditional vehicle.

This is not the first time that Tesla has struck out against a negative review. In March 2011, the company sued the BBC for “libel and malicious falsehood” when the British car show Top Gear claimed its Tesla test car had a range of just 55 miles under track conditions, showed the Tesla Roadster overheating and that the brakes on the models they were provided did not work.

An English court threw out Tesla’s suit against the broadcaster last February, saying that manufacturer’s estimated ranges are always affected by their driving conditions, and there was no basis for a libel claim.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
My present dream car... Waiting for them to work out the kinks and hopefully hop on the bandwagon. :)

@Astrotoy

what range are you experiencing?

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
My present dream car... Waiting for them to work out the kinks and hopefully hop on the bandwagon. :)

@Astrotoy

what range are you experiencing?

Haven't driven far enough yet. I've only driven about 30 miles. I do fill it up every night (2 nights so far). My understanding is that if you leave it out overnight within being plugged in, then it will lose some of its charge. This is more pronounced in very cold weather (which we don't have in the SF Bay Area).

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
You must be very busy :) .. I would have logged much more on it ... Impressions so far .. About driving, finish? Looks? Sound System?

carolkoh

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Tesla has released the logged data.

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/most-peculiar-test-drive

This reminds me of the early days of online games with server logging and metrics. Many print-magazine journalists got caught - but were never called out in the same manner. They would say something like the game was too hard and their character died 10x in in the first 10 minutes of the game... and Devs could look at the server logs and determine that they skipped the tutorial, only died 3 times in the first hour and twice was because they went into combat with 2 health.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
So far my range looks very close to the EPA estimate of 265 for a full charge. I am doing the normal charge, which is better for the life of the batteries - so the range for a 90% fill is about 235 miles. This is what the usage looks like with a combo of city and freeway driving, including a 15 minute crawl at the SF Bay Bridge toll plaza last night. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten my white car pool lane stickers yet (for electric vehicles) which lets me in both freeway and bridge toll car pool lanes. Being in a more temperate climate and also plugging my car at night to recharge keeps it fully charged every day and doing a typical range. I haven't tried to stomp on the car or baby it, just driving normally.

In addition to the NYT article, Consumer Reports just released an article which says that range decreases with colder temperatures. Again they didn't plug the car in at night and risked running out of charge when they passed the Milford CT Tesla supercharger. It would be like running an ICE on empty and passing a gas station to see whether you can make it to work.

Larry

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing