Anyone have a TechDAS Air Force III or III Premium?

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Just wondering what owners thought about it, pro and con.

Thanks.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I have AF3P since end 2018 and i can speak only well
I dont know if their price range competitors sound little better or little worse but

Sound is very very good
Look is awesome
Construction is awesome
since 2018 never one small problem
you can put 4 tonearm
pump absolutly no noise

I suggest Premium version because has platter of 29 kg against the normal AF3 with platter of 9 kg plus pump little better

Attachments

• IMG_8092.jpg
    IMG_8092.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 60

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
It’s an excellent turntable. I mean the AF3P. it only needs a nice isolation base. IMHO
if it had a better motor (lower wow&flutter) and an isolation solution added to the package then it would be an end-game turntable. new rubber suspension feet isolates a little and sounds better but don’t do the trick.
IMHO it is one of the best turntables on the market.

Reactions: Lee

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
love my AF3P
is used on an active isolation base.
plus small Artesania damper on the motor
plus longer MS SF-1L belt to make 4 arms more easy

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Shakti - how would you compare and contrast the AF3P against the MS SX-8000II ? I recall that you've owned and sold the Micro Seiki.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
difficult to compare, as I had them not side by side.

From my memory SX-8000 was playing bottom up with more substance, AF3P has more detail and is a little more vibrant.
If you change the OE alloy tonearmbase of the AF3P to the OE gun metal Micro Seiki Tonearmbase you can customize AF3P
to a better tonearm match, which can make a difference.

Both can be improved with a "better" motor. The final stage of my SX 8000 was using the Dereneville motor.

Both are benefitting from a good and solid base. The MS Air base had a "tone" ,
So I preferred HRS or an active base in critical resonance situations.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
@shakti did you have a stock, unmodified motor for the SX-8000II at any point? When you say "more substance" do you mean a warmer, thicker sound?

Thank you.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
@shakti did you have a stock, unmodified motor for the SX-8000II at any point? When you say "more substance" do you mean a warmer, thicker sound?

Thank you.
I mostly used the original SX 8000 MkII motor (which is one development step ahead of the MkI Motor) But as I had Sperling and Dereneville motors available, I tried them. Sperling was below the original motor, Dereneville ahead (if you are looking for micro details)

and no, the SX 8000 MKII is not "warm or thick" in sound at all. The heavy cast zinc chassis of the SX 8000 is just better, than the milled alloy chassis of current production TechDAS. It is more easy to follow the deeper bass notes with SX 8000 MkII.
(at least in my former set up)

As everything is a compromise, you see myself listening to an AF3P.
But I can understand everyone, who's decision will prefer SX 8000 MkII .

Reactions: Lee and bazelio

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing