Anyone got a simple foie gras recipe?

caesar

May 30, 2010
A tiny foie gras appetizer costs $15-$18. Does anyone have any simple home recipes?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I have never made it but what I have seen on TV is usually just floured and then fried just so that it doesn't fully melt. Then serve with a sweet (orange, etc.) sauce to offset the fattiness. I know, not very helpful but thought I increase my post count. :D

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Liver - one of my wife's and kid's favourite foods. I avoid it because of my cholesterol - but I love foir gras (fat liver :) )

With foie gras, I don't like to flour it. I think that it detracts from the flavor. But it takes practice to get it perfect. Because it is an expensive ingredient, you might waste some learning to get it right. It is usually simply seared on a dry skillet and then various sauces are dribbled on it.

You will need a good, heavy skillet (not a non-stick surface). I use an 8" Le Creuset egg pan. A steel copper clad skillet will do just as well. You will also need a good turner. I use a very flexible stainless steel turner (I think it's MIU).

Slice the foie gras to about 1/3 inch. Not too thick, not too thin. Soak the slices in a bowl of milk for about 1 hour.

Heat the skillet dry until it is very hot and just beginning to smoke.

Place a one slice on the skillet, sprinkle with fleur de sel (preferably French and grey).

Place another slice on the skillet, sprinkle.

Place the third slice on the skillet, sprinkle.

Using the turner, turn the first slice. Pause.

Turn the second slice. Pause.

Turn the third slice. Pause.

Pour in 1/8 cup of Martell Cognac Cordon Bleu. Flambe. When the flames die down, plate and serve with the sauce (below). Serves one. Gotta decide wife or kids first. To absorb the juices, serve the foir gras on a slice of toast or french bread.
Use a new pan for the next serving. Don't re-use the last pan without cleaning and drying it well first.​

If the pan was hot enough, the slices will be seared brown and heated through. If the pan was not hot enough, the slices will stick and make a huge mess. If the pan was too hot, the slices will be burnt. Each slice 1/3" thick at room temperature should cook in about 50 secs to a minute. So, the pace and rhythm are important.

A few sauces:

1) Good, aged balsamic vinegar. Reduce in a sauce pan to half the volume. When it can coat the back of a tablespoon, it has reduced enough.

2) Reduce a half-bottle of sauternes to about 1/4 cup.

3) 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, 1/4 cup chicken stock, heaped teaspoon thin-cut marmalade. Reduce to less than 1/4 cup.

You can also do this with chicken livers and duck livers. Everytime I buy a whole chicken, if there is a liver in the cavity and I have time to slice it in two and soak it in milk, I'll just sear and flambe it and let the wife/kids fight over it.

carolkoh

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I have a feeling that caeser was asking about making pate. :D

Here is a friend's recipe - that I've had, but not made. (He's a lawyer in DC, a medievalist and a fine, fine cook.)

~~~
Papa Bear's Pate Recipe

1 pound liver (remove all stringy connective tissues. Just keep the squishy parts, that way the pate will be smoother and more spreadable).
1 stick butter
4 slices regular bacon
1/4 cup of red wine or brandy
1/2 cup cream
1 tablespoon dried tarragon
1 tablespoon ginger (Powder - not fresh)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons coarse ground pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic POWDER (not garlic salt)
1 large egg

1 bread loaf pan, glass preferred
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Fry the bacon, saving all the rendered fat. Throw into a large blender. Melt the butter. Throw into that selfsame blender. Pour in the wine or brandy, and the cream first (this will cool the butter and the bacon and keep the egg from curdling). Throw in all the seasoning. Then, add one raw large egg. Blend this mixture until exceedingly fine. Then add your de-sinewed livers. Blend for two or three minutes until the whole thing looks like a chocolate milkshake. Pour into the loaf pan. Cover with aluminium foil. Place in a bain marie (a larger pan filled with water that comes up at least half way up the side of the loaf pan). Cook in oven for two hours. Take it out of the oven, cool on a cake rack, and then refrigerate in the pan for at least two hours.

THERE IS NOTHING LOW CALORIE OR LOW FAT ABOUT THIS RECIPE! This is intended to be a spread like peanut butter, butter, or triple-creme cheese - that if used in moderation, one or two ounces at a time, provides protein as well as immense satisfaction.

Nota Bene: the nitrates in commercial bacon will help preserve your pate, and if well-refrigerated, it can keep for up to two weeks.
~~~

Enjoy!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing