Anybody heard the Grimm SQM cables?

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020
Looking for informed opinions about the Grimm SQM XLR cables. Need to upgrade my cable loom. Also looking for used ones if anybody has any to part with.

Grimm SQM Balanced

SQM-XLR-box-open_small.jpg

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020
Checking back in, I may be purchasing these in the near future. Anybody have any experience with them?

msimanyi

Jan 13, 2023
I haven't heard them, but I seem to recall they're very reasonably priced.

Edit: and given the amazing job they did with the MU1, I have to say they likely put together another solid product in those cables.

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020
Well, I'm answering my own question. I got a pair of XLR to demo for a couple of weeks. My comparison cables are a custom design I formulated out of Duelund 20AWG tin-plated copper with cotton in oil dielectric which is also mixed with ultrapure solid silver in cotton. This cable is a Tone cable in that it really creates a vivid in the room sound. They are also more forward of the speakers than strictly neutral. Really excellent tone on vocals and brass, cymbals etc. A good mate with my system overall.

The SQM is a very solid well made cable, not too stiff, a pleasure to connect. The SQM was a much more recessed, behind the speakers presentation. overall it is a tiny bit polite compared to mine, which are anything but. I ultimately thought this behind the speakers presentation was a bit too much for my own tastes, but I am sure there are many that prefer that. But they did a lot more things right than my cables. SQM is a very quiet cable with dark deep background and soundstage, they really do reduce noise, allowing more detail, sculpture around images etc. They had a very natural balance overall. Probably the most balanced sound I've heard from a cable (which is what their reputation is). Bass was really excellent, went a bit lower than mine with really excellent delineation.

It is clear that the SQM is excellent at time and phase accuracy, definitely the best I'd heard to date. And something that my cables fail at in comparison!

So my overall assessment of the SQM is time and phase accurate, super transparent, while being just a tiny bit on the dark side, image definitely falling deep behind the speakers, extremely quiet, extremely balanced, excellent bass. Compared to the kilobuck cables I've owned back in the day, they are an easy win. I'd guess they are competitive with cables in the $1.5K+ USD meter pair XLRs in terms of overall performance (they are less than $600 USD). I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to someone looking for a sub $1K XLR.

What is most excellent is that I analyzed the design of these cables, and decided to do some of my own experiments with star quad design, shielding across a range of frequencies, super tight winds, new shielding materials etc. And I've come up with my own DIY that I think successfully betters it in almost every parameter :D. I'm looking forward to recabling my system with this, after I am done finalizing this design. Should cost quite a lot less than the SQM (though not if I count all my experimenting)!

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing