Any up and coming Mastering Engineers we should know about?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
With the recent passing of George Marino and with none of the other more celebrated ones getting any younger, I was wondering if any of you knew about a few that show promise? Did George have a protege or apprentice and do the others, like SH and KG have one? I'd like to think that their knowledge and experience is being passed along to a new generation. It would be a true travesty if this was lost.

Are there any particular ME's who's work you seek out? I'm hoping to hear from Bruce on this issue and offer up his insights.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
There are a few off the top of my head.

Brad Blackwood - Grammy for Paper Airplane
Sangwook "Sunny" Nam - Past Grammy nominee (under Doug Sax)
Silas Brown - Grammy for best classical album 2010
David Kutch
Brian Gardner
Gavin Lurssen - past Grammy winner

just to name a few

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Paper Airplane is pretty yummy. Now somebody tell me it's compressed. :) If it's compressed like Blue Country Heart, well, what can I say? I can live with that.

Tim

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Paper Airplane is not peak-limited; there may be some gentle compression but it's not apparent in the waveform. IMO, it's also one of those albums where the 24/96 version is clearly better sounding than the CD.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
All good choices Bruce.

There are a few off the top of my head.

Brad Blackwood - Grammy for Paper Airplane
Sangwook "Sunny" Nam - Past Grammy nominee (under Doug Sax)
Silas Brown - Grammy for best classical album 2010
David Kutch
Brian Gardner
Gavin Lurssen - past Grammy winner

just to name a few

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Paper Airplane is not peak-limited; there may be some gentle compression but it's not apparent in the waveform. IMO, it's also one of those albums where the 24/96 version is clearly better sounding than the CD.

Have you compared the waveforms? I wonder if they're the same master?

Tim

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Have you compared the waveforms? I wonder if they're the same master?

Tim

The waveforms look the same, and the amplitude stats appear to be the same as well. I think the fact that it is well-mastered to begin with makes a difference, but don't actually know that.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com

Several issues ago of Sound On Sound, producer Mike Shipley said Paper Airplanes was done 100% to Pro Tools with no zero compression used during the mix or mastering.

However, compression and limiting was obviously used during tracking.

In my opinion, the 96/24 download yields very, very little dividends over the CD. The bottom line is that music recorded on computers in many cases is DOA.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Interestingly enough, a number of listeners claim the LP sounds better than either digital version...

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Same master according to Mike Shipley. I find the CD and 96/24 download to be virtually indistinguishable.

Which is nearly always the case for some listeners when the mastering is identical. For others...

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
At CES. I the albums in both versions. I put it on in the Soulution room with Magico Q3 with a Soulution server. The Soulution rep and several other listeners really had a hard time telling them apart.

Which is nearly always the case for some listeners when the mastering is identical. For others...

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
It's a full generation removed on the LP. "Better", or more pleasing? Certainly not as transparent to the source.

That seems obvious to me, but apparently not to everyone...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing