Any experiences with Soulution 755 phono preamp?

ShawnZH

Sep 20, 2020
A friend of mine is interested in Soulution 755 and asking for my opinion. I never seriously listened to 755. I saw very positive feedbacks from TAS reviews by Jonathan Valin.

Anyone has any experiences with 755, especially if comparing to EMT JPA66, Allnic H8000, Asthetix IO, CH P1, etc.?

Thanks for any comments and opinions.

Brahmsian

VIP/Donor
Aug 2, 2020
I have listened to both the CH P1 and 755 and I own the P1. The 755 is a outstanding performer - clean, fast, engaging, emotional and has all the details you ever need. It is better than the P1 for 3 reasons: depth /space, top end clarity and the bass. The P1 is no slouch but it is not in the same league as the 755.

However, the 755 is more expensive and it works best if you go directly to the amp. That is, if LP is your sole source then 755 is where I would go as you don't need to have the pre-amp. But LP is not my main source and as I l already had pre-amp, the P1 was a more sensible choice for me. The other reason you may want not to get the 755 is the Soulution sound signature - it is a bottom up sound and some people may not prefer this (muscular is another way of describing it). I personally love the Soulution sound but the 755 did not meet my needs.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: CKKeung

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
755 cost in Italy near double than P1,a better comparison would be with P1 with X1

Brahmsian

VIP/Donor
Aug 2, 2020
755 cost in Italy near double than P1,a better comparison would be with P1 with X1
Hi Gian,

I agree with your comment. My comparison included the X1, although the X1 served both the P1 and L1. And even though I did not buy the 755, it was a better phono for me.

ShawnZH

Sep 20, 2020
Hi Gian,

I agree with your comment. My comparison included the X1, although the X1 served both the P1 and L1. And even though I did not buy the 755, it was a better phono for me.
Thanks Brahmsian for your reply, truly helpful. I ordered a 755. It shall arrive in a few weeks before Christmas hopefully. I will report back when it is here.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
How does the Solution 750 compare to the 755 or the CH P1?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
How does the Solution 750 compare to the 755 or the CH P1?

can't speak from personal experience. but i did investigate this question recently and found that the 755 is a newer generation and another level or three above the 750 even with the added power supply (750PSU). the 725 + phono is in between those other 2.

in this case the price does match up with performance. the 750 is $25k + $7500 for the PSU. the 725 + phono is $47k, the 755 is $72k (prices from my memory).

i wanted to really like the 750 as a step up from my dart internal phonos, but it's more equivalent, and not as good as my CS Port + EMIA SUT's. the 755 would be a step up.

as far as the P1 my info is that it's similar without the X1 power supply. add the X1 and it might be better. but the 755 is equal or better than the 4 BOX CHP1 phono. my info is 2nd hand, but reliable.

the hot tip solid state phono is the Pass XS. not cheap, but not crazy either.

Last edited:
Reactions: XV-1

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Mike, you need to get out and listen to the Solution phonos ;)

the 750 has 60db gain - probably fine with my low output versions of my Lyra Atlas and Etna, but I would prefer a bit higher gain. The 755 is out of my price range. My Accuphase has 70db.

I am looking for at least a 3 input MC phono stage that is neutral and extended in the upper frequencies. My Dag pre and power are on the pure sophisticated side, so don't need anymore.

ShawnZH

Sep 20, 2020
ABC74921-4B99-4630-AA25-9F9B2362C608.jpeg

Finally the Soulution 755 arrived after a long wait and I spent some time in listening to it, in order to build a more complete view on this phonostage.

Reactions: XV-1 and dan31

ShawnZH

Sep 20, 2020
In a nutshell, 755 is by far the best phono amp I've experienced at home, among: CH P1+X1, EMT JPA66, Allnic H800, Karen PH1, Phasemation EA1000, Thoeress phono...

There're 3 inputs, 2MC and 1MM. Loading of MC has a very wide range that can cover almost all carts, with 2 levels of gains, 72db and 78 db. MM has also 2 levels of gains: 60db and 66db, and a set of capacitance values to be used. Interestingly, 755 can be used as a pure pre-amp with volume control, but no additional inputs for any digital or external phono sources. Though the manual says 775 has upto 83db gain, I assume it refers to the total gain if 755 is used as a pre-amp to directly drive the amps. Even, the 72db and 78db are a bit over-stated, since I don't feel such a high gain, though enough for most of the carts.

As Valin commented on TAS, 755 is a "bottom-up" phono amp, meaning it is powerful and with a velvet-sounded tone. Due to its power supply design, the 755 gives me a muscular presentation to the carts amplified by 755 and the sound is full of details. Somehow the layers of details are rich enough to give this velvet-sounded or bottom-up feeling, leading people to believe it prioritizes the mid and bass. If you listen with good attention, you don't feel there's anything missing at the top. This is actually quite interesting since most of the Soulution gears are transparent, clean and fast. 755 seems to stand on the other side of the pallet, with rich and analog sound.

It is as quiet as any 2 or 3 chassis phono amp, housing the power supply in one unit. Pitch dark. Sound stage is vast and deep.

(to be continued)

Reactions: hogen

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
can't speak from personal experience. but i did investigate this question recently and found that the 755 is a newer generation and another level or three above the 750 even with the added power supply (750PSU). the 725 + phono is in between those other 2.

in this case the price does match up with performance. the 750 is $25k + $7500 for the PSU. the 725 + phono is $47k, the 755 is $72k (prices from my memory).

i wanted to really like the 750 as a step up from my dart internal phonos, but it's more equivalent, and not as good as my CS Port + EMIA SUT's. the 755 would be a step up.

as far as the P1 my info is that it's similar without the X1 power supply. add the X1 and it might be better. but the 755 is equal or better than the 4 BOX CHP1 phono. my info is 2nd hand, but reliable.

the hot tip solid state phono is the Pass XS. not cheap, but not crazy either.

The top pass phono has limited dynamic range, and while it gives the impression of good flow it is a constant color. The preamp is h the same. Transparency to upstream changes including recordings is pretty low, as well as nuance with violin.

I like the Soulution preamp and would be interesting in investigating the phono especially in a system with a valve power amp. I have never liked the Soulution power amp, and the pre power combo gives very poor tone. The preamp on its own and especially with a valve power amp is excellent

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing