Any Birdy photogs out there ?

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
I photograph my own parrots. My African Grey (who is 1 year old this month and starting to talk in recognizeable English), and my Cockatiel who wants to be rubbed on the head all day. Thoroughly enjoy birds. One of nature's true gifts.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Thanks guys. Bird Photography is similar to high end audio....it requires a high level of attention to detail. The setup (finding and getting a bird species to come to a nice perch and background), capturing the moment well exposed and sharply focused and finally the post processing part (photoshop to maxinmize the image quality).

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Ah, how did I miss this thread before? Really nice gallery Christian. I am really jealous of your owl pictures. I have so few in my collection. I even went on a dedicated tour on Hokkaido Island with a pro who knew where they were but none where in their nests! :(

I have never shot smaller birds like songbirds. Love to learn though.

Here is a tiny portion of my gallery. Too lazy to post more :): http://amirviews.smugmug.com/

I love the idea of getting together on a photo tour as Steve suggests. Next time you are going on a shoot, drop me a line or better yet, post here and maybe more people can come. The economics become so much better when travelling as a group and of course more fun!

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Hi Amir,

Small songbird photography is quite a different animal... many small birds like Warblers in the spring don't make themselves available for photo's, thus one needs to attract them to a suitable perch to take the photo. This is done by setting up a perch on a lightstand far enough away from the background so that is is out of focus and smooth. I use an ipod with bird calls on it that I use to call the bird down to the perch. A small battery powered clam shell speaker is used near the perch. During migration, when the bird's hit their territory and set up shop, they respond to the calls and come down to investigate, hopefully by landing on the prepared perched. I am usually sitting back around 25 feet hidden in a blind. Many times they don't land. It is a game of patience and persistence. The owls I have in my gallery were all attracted within shooting range via owl calls save for the short ear owls that were just sitting out in a field when I took those. Lovely photo's in your gallery Amir. Thanks for sharing.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Wow, those are great photos. The time and patience required must be phenomenal.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hi Amir,

Small songbird photography is quite a different animal... many small birds like Warblers in the spring don't make themselves available for photo's, thus one needs to attract them to a suitable perch to take the photo. This is done by setting up a perch on a lightstand far enough away from the background so that is is out of focus and smooth. I use an ipod with bird calls on it that I use to call the bird down to the perch. A small battery powered clam shell speaker is used near the perch. During migration, when the bird's hit their territory and set up shop, they respond to the calls and come down to investigate, hopefully by landing on the prepared perched. I am usually sitting back around 25 feet hidden in a blind. Many times they don't land. It is a game of patience and persistence. The owls I have in my gallery were all attracted within shooting range via owl calls save for the short ear owls that were just sitting out in a field when I took those. Lovely photo's in your gallery Amir. Thanks for sharing.
Ah, so you don't chase after them with 500mm lens on foot! :D

I had read about set ups like that. I need to try them. It is embarrassing to not have any small bird pictures :).

Didn't realize you could attract the Owls the same way. What is a good app for all of these bird sounds?

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Terrific pics Christian! ...have you considered launching a screen-saver CD ?

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
I photographed this owl with an HD video camera that happens to have a very fast ISO. Available light was the front porch light, about 110' behind me. The owl was not visible to the nake eye. I saw it fly across the driveway and heard it land in the tree. Using the camera's viewfinder, I scanned back and forth the area, until I found the owl. Focused and rolled video recording for a few seconds. Then I picked a few frames in the editor and saved them a JPEGs. Here is one of those frames:

"Owl At Midnight"

If that link doesn't work, here is a direct link:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b28/mweiss/Owlatnight05.jpg

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
I fixed the link for you Mark.

Just curious, why didn't the link initially appear? I pasted the img code from Photobucket as it, no modification, so I'm perplexed as to why it didn't appear as it does now.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Mark, sometimes people have the URL address of the image right beside another character.
And sometimes it can interfer.

Other times it can simply be an omission (http:/blah-blah-blah), or of a letter, or number ...
But in your case you simply transfered it as is, so it can't be.

Perhaps Amir remembered.

Or, perhaps you omitted capital letters:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Just curious, why didn't the link initially appear? I pasted the img code from Photobucket as it, no modification, so I'm perplexed as to why it didn't appear as it does now.
You had post two different links. The one used in IMG did not match the one that you had post as text. When I clicked on the text link it worked so I simply put that in the img tags. I don't know enough about your photo service to know what the other link was about. Only that the other worked so why not use it! So however you got the text link is what you want to use in the future.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing