Analog vs Lampizator

elescher

Member Sponsor
Sep 12, 2010
New York
For starters I just want to restate what has been repeated many times. The Lampi DAC(s) are just incredible with any tube! that I have heard with it, with the exception of a particular $50.00 range 5u tube (trying to remember manufacturer, but nothings happenining). When I first put the GG in my system a year ago I couldn't believe how much better it sounded than anything else I had heard, and it has allowed me to enjoy listening to music like I never imagined.

The KR 242's are sounding better and better. I don't think that anyone is going to be disapponted with their sound, regardless of music type, etc., etc., and I'll stand by that. They have balls. I am able to compensate for gain with each of the inputs on my preamp independantly, so I am not being influenced by the difference in gain.

I started listening around 3:30 am this morning after shutting down the system last night at around 8:00. I'd say there is only 15 hours on them. I listen 90% classical but there are a few other genres I like for the sake of comparing these sort of things. Two are from Dimeola's "World Sinfonia" The first cut is ideal for evaluating leading edge on guitar plucks, soundstage depth, and any noise that can interefere with what I perceive as being FAINT bells in the background. Then there is "No Mystery" which with most systems will throw a VERY wide soundstage, but it is the density of the instruments that appear "outside the room" that I pay attention to. Gotta run right now......will continue later......

elescher

Member Sponsor
Sep 12, 2010
New York
For starters I just want to restate what has been repeated many times. The Lampi DAC(s) are just incredible with any tube! that I have heard with it, with the exception of a particular $50.00 range 5u tube (trying to remember manufacturer, but nothings happenining). When I first put the GG in my system a year ago I couldn't believe how much better it sounded than anything else I had heard, and it has allowed me to enjoy listening to music like I never imagined.

The KR 242's are sounding better and better. I don't think that anyone is going to be disapponted with their sound, regardless of music type, etc., etc., and I'll stand by that. They have balls. I am able to compensate for gain with each of the inputs on my preamp independantly, so I am not being influenced by the difference in gain.

I started listening around 3:30 am this morning after shutting down the system last night at around 8:00. I'd say there is only 15 hours on them. I listen 90% classical but there are a few other genres I like for the sake of comparing these sort of things. Two are from Dimeola's "World Sinfonia" The first cut is ideal for evaluating leading edge on guitar plucks, soundstage depth, and any noise that can interefere with what I perceive as being FAINT bells in the background. Then there is "No Mystery" which with most systems will throw a VERY wide soundstage, but it is the density of the instruments that appear "outside the room" that I pay attention to. Gotta run right now......will continue later......

This is an insane hobby. Think about what we listened to in the 70's compared to now. I really am trying to provide some useful information that will help anyone thinking about the 242. I guess if I were to evaluate on the basis of strictly technical merit, the 242 would be the one. The Elrogs are a different animal. My feelings are consistent with what has been ascribed to the 300b tube for years. Sweet, involving, nuanced, soft, easy, relaxed, and textured. I had the EmL 300 and prefer the Elrogs by a large margin. When I put the Tak 274 in the system, that put everything over the top. Imo, the Tak 274 is a must. As far as the Elrog v. KR, you gotta try em out. I like them both.....a lot.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
This is an insane hobby. Think about what we listened to in the 70's compared to now. I really am trying to provide some useful information that will help anyone thinking about the 242. I guess if I were to evaluate on the basis of strictly technical merit, the 242 would be the one. The Elrogs are a different animal. My feelings are consistent with what has been ascribed to the 300b tube for years. Sweet, involving, nuanced, soft, easy, relaxed, and textured. I had the EmL 300 and prefer the Elrogs by a large margin. When I put the Tak 274 in the system, that put everything over the top. Imo, the Tak 274 is a must. As far as the Elrog v. KR, you gotta try em out. I like them both.....a lot.

my KR242's did not work well enough on my SE GG to even comment......but to my ears the Elrog-Tak 274b seems to capture my idea of how the GG ought to sound. everything....all the detail, tonal complexity and depth and dynamic nuance......is there, and it's 'glorious' when it should be. Elrog-Tak 274b is very Lampi-like.....whatever that might mean.

just my very subjective take on things.

I no longer lust after other tubes. I just listen.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Elescher, did you not also have a VPI with the A90? What do you find yourself listening to more these days?

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Elescher,
Did you try leaving the tubes on all night
and start playing in the morning?
They should sound better that way as the tubes take 90mins to reach their peak...nothing to do with tube break-in which is another matter altogether.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
my KR242's did not work well enough on my SE GG to even comment......but to my ears the Elrog-Tak 274b seems to capture my idea of how the GG ought to sound. everything....all the detail, tonal complexity and depth and dynamic nuance......is there, and it's 'glorious' when it should be. Elrog-Tak 274b is very Lampi-like.....whatever that might mean.

just my very subjective take on things.

I no longer lust after other tubes. I just listen.

Mike...sell the 242s and get a pair of px25s. Not tube lust...but for variety. You dont drink just ONE type if wine, do you?

elcorso

VIP/Donor
Nov 19, 2013
Rainforest
Elescher,
Did you try leaving the tubes on all night
and start playing in the morning?
They should sound better that way as the tubes take 90mins to reach their peak...nothing to do with tube break-in which is another matter altogether.

+1

Also regarding tube life it's beter let the Lampi ON all the time. Factory recommendation.

In my case love the KR242 (Lampi B7 SE, 308mV absolute maximum signal volume), even with a 50 hours break-in as today. I guess optimum will be at 100 hours or more.

For regulators I own Takatsuki 274B or Philips Miniwatt GZ34 metal base NOS 1957. I still don't know which one I love more!

Own also the Elrogs 300B, and others 300B, but I found them obscure (midrange lacking). Before the KR242 I loved better the 101D Replica. Own also Emission Labs 45 and their regulator tube. Tried EL 45 Lampi Anniversary Edition (a friend loan).

My very personal taste / system matching.

Roch

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
+1

Also regarding tube life it's beter let the Lampi ON all the time. Factory recommendation.

In my case love the KR242 (Lampi B7 SE, 308mV absolute maximum signal volume), even with a 50 hours break-in as today. I guess optimum will be at 100 hours or more.

For regulators I own Takatsuki 274B or Philips Miniwatt GZ34 metal base NOS 1957. I still don't know which one I love more!

Own also the Elrogs 300B, and others 300B, but I found them obscure (midrange lacking). Before the KR242 I loved better the 101D Replica. Own also Emission Labs 45 and their regulator tube. Tried EL 45 Lampi Anniversary Edition (a friend loan).

My very personal taste / system matching.

Roch
Roch...you have some GREAT tubes there.

I see you also got the tube setting switch in place, given that you tried all kinds of tubes.

sligolad

Mar 14, 2015
Have to share this with you guys, If you want to make a major improvement to your Lampi then there is a 200 Euro addition which will beat all other modifications, valve changes.

I have had my Big7 for just over 2 years now and loved the sound from day one but was always thinking it may be held back by the Amanero USB board.

Last year I started playing around with re-clocking, adding Neutron Star Clocks and battery power on the Amanero, they gave small improvements but nothing major.

Earlier this year I jumped on the Singxer F1 bandwagon and this was a major step up for the Big7 both on I2S and over Spdif replacing the Amanero board.

I was very happy with this upgrade until I tried the JL Sounds I2SoverUSB board with the Clock Board attached with Crystek 957 Clocks.

This was an amazing improvement and I mean that sincerely, the improvement was jawdropping.
PCM and DSD never sounded so good, it sounds like my Big7 was in hiding in the long grass for the past 2 years with the Amanero holding it back.

I hope Lukasz has been looking at replacing the Amanero board as these new breed of USB to I2S boards with Isolation are a major upgrade and you will not believe how much your DAC has been held back by the Amanaero Board.

Hopefully some of you will be up to trying this and confirming my findings.
In the coming weeks after I try another USB to I2S board I have had waiting in the wings I will post pictures and the connection diagrams for those handy with a soldering iron.
Maybe Lukasz will offer such an upgrade.....here's hoping :))

By the way my Big7 is old school with 1x & 2x DSD only and I am using Anniversary 45 Globes (part of the Sablon Audio Group buy) and 2 JAN 6X5GT Rectifiers (old version Big7).

Cheers, Pearse.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Wow. Will give you a call one day to understand all that

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Hi khonfused

No need to be....

I just happen to own two at the moment, one is with Duelund caps, the other one with Mundorf. Both have the latest pcm engine on board and differ only in details (frontplate is silver or black), one has an additional AES input, one is 230V, the other one is switchable.
I will sell one of them soon after I get them both back.

I saw you're selling (sold already?) the one with the Duelund caps. Does that mean you prefer the Mundorf caps sonically?
I also saw you chose the new PCM 5942x board on both units. Have you compared the new 5942x board with the R2R PCM board and then decided against the R2R PCM? I have not heard the new PCM 5942x board, but I really liked the R2R PCM board.

Is there a reason, why you didn't order the DSD512 board? There is so much noise regarding DSD512 on the T&A DAC 8 DSD. Have you heard the T&A? I do believe that the T&A sounds great when fed DSD512 but i'm pretty confident that the Lampi "has to be" even better sounding with DSD512.
Has no one heard DSD512 via a Lampi DAC.

Cheers,
Christoph

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi khonfused

I saw you're selling (sold already?) the one with the Duelund caps. Does that mean you prefer the Mundorf caps sonically?
I also saw you chose the new PCM 5942x board on both units. Have you compared the new 5942x board with the R2R PCM board and then decided against the R2R PCM? I have not heard the new PCM 5942x board, but I really liked the R2R PCM board.

Is there a reason, why you didn't order the DSD512 board? There is so much noise regarding DSD512 on the T&A DAC 8 DSD. Have you heard the T&A? I do believe that the T&A sounds great when fed DSD512 but i'm pretty confident that the Lampi "has to be" even better sounding with DSD512.

Cheers,
Christoph

It will take time to get 512 good on the Lampi - generally with Lampi features, wait till Lukasz settles down with his tweaks before getting the upgrade. Also to do the 512 right now T+A sounds great with the SGM, which is big money.

The Mundorfs will not sound as good as Duelunds.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Hi Ked

I want a Lampi DAC for quite some time now and I'm getting kind of antsy.
Even if the DSD512 was not fully supported at the moment, I still would like to have DSD512 because I already have a PC, powerful enough to do DSD512 with all the bells and whistles and I want to do it in conjunction with an NAA.
Sending the DAC to Poland every now and then is quite expensive, so I would prefer having all the features I want right from the beginning.
Btw. in what config did you order your Lampi and why?
I'm especially interested in what caps and which PCM board to order...
Also, can I directly order with e.g. KR tubes instead of the standard issue tubes?

Also what Pearse aka sligolad wrote sounds very promising but also confusing.

Cheers,
Christoph

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
KR 242 and PX25 on your B7, with KR 5U4G recti.

Get r2r PCM and DSD. I would suggest sending Lampi once a year for upgrades, so get the 512 next year.

Ask him for Duelund caps bypassed with Jupiters (or vice versa, I forget). It's a standard. Don't get the volume control since you have a pre. Just keep playing, and then you can do upgrades like Pearse. Don't fret too much, all configs sound great, and is upgraedable. I have DSD 256 r2r. I will get 512 when Lukasz starts playing with the 1024.

khonfused

Jun 15, 2015
Bavaria
Hi khonfused

Cheers,
Christoph

I am afraid I' m of not much help.

I did not compare the Jupiter caps with duelund bypass to the mundorf for I haven't got the mundorf GG back yet, but will have sold the other dac before that happens. I am not worried at all that the mundorf will sound worse, on the contrary.

I did not compare 2016 pcm to r2r but trusted Lukasz that they are on par.

I don't listen to DSD or usb for that matter. I have a streamer and use bnc.

I got the px25 yesterday and am listening in conjunction with KR Lampi 5U4G. A very promising combo. I don' t have a final verdict on my overall favourite combo.

For music tubes I like Elrog300b, psvane we replica 101d, Kron px 25, Lampi Anniversary Globe 45
For rectifier I like Takatsuki 274b and KR lampi 5U4G.

I have no problem sending the GG to Poland if necessary as there is a shuttle service passing through my area once in a while with a pick up and delivery service.

And now back to the music....

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
How does the Tak compare to the KR?

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Hopefully some of you will be up to trying this and confirming my findings.
In the coming weeks after I try another USB to I2S board I have had waiting in the wings I will post pictures and the connection diagrams for those handy with a soldering iron.
Maybe Lukasz will offer such an upgrade.....here's hoping :))

By the way my Big7 is old school with 1x & 2x DSD only and I am using Anniversary 45 Globes (part of the Sablon Audio Group buy) and 2 JAN 6X5GT Rectifiers (old version Big7).

Cheers, Pearse.

I have one of the very first hardwired 6X5 B7 with no DSD as I have never really be a fan of it owning an SACD player beforehand - though don't get me wrong in can sound great in many ways, I think it lends itself better to classical music.

I'm interested in this as I came to the conclusion the USB interface wasn't as good as the optical one.

Can use a soldering iron...:)

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
It will take time to get 512 good on the Lampi - generally with Lampi features, wait till Lukasz settles down with his tweaks before getting the upgrade. Also to do the 512 right now T+A sounds great with the SGM, which is big money.

The Mundorfs will not sound as good as Duelunds.
Its already done and reportedly beats even DSD256. No need to wait just for that.

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
I will receive a GG DSD 512 board in the firsts days of August. To replace my 256 board on Big 7.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing