An Interesting Install

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
'Course the round room brings to mind the joke "How do You Make an Audiophile Crazy?" ;)

When I heard from the customer that the room the system would be installed in would be round, it made my head spin.

I've been in dome buildings and round buildings, and they've always echoed horribly. I still remember being in the dome house of a friend in the Philippines and sitting at the dining table, you could hear everything going on in the bathroom. There was absolutely no privacy because every whisper can be heard anywhere in the house. The house wasn't designed for privacy - the dome shape was supposed to withstand the worst typhoons in Cebu..... it didn't.

The customer had a previous system in the room, and he said that it did sound good, and he had designed the room correctly using principles of physics and math. That was one reason why I had to go - to satisfy my own curiosity, and to make sure that it wouldn't be a negative demo of the "Genesis sound". It worked better than I could have ever imagined.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
The walls (is there in fact only ONE wall since it is a circular room??;)), floor and ceiling must be sonically extremely absorptive not to echo.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
The walls (is there in fact only ONE wall since it is a circular room??;)), floor and ceiling must be sonically extremely absorptive not to echo.

It was absorptive, but the room was still quite "live" - not at all dead. The material was something that I was not familiar with. The surface looks like those trays you buy eggs in. It's a sponge, but the tips were much softer than the valleys. Like a variable density foam. They were in huge sheets.

Anyone know what it is?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing