Amplifier for speakers

Ikehgl

Nov 30, 2022
After some thinking I decided to get Theos spkrs.
I read they require from 20 to 400Watt per channel to drive them.
So if I get a 20w integrated amp it would perform well ?

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
G'day mate,

Good job on the Theos. Those specs are rated as power handling- input power. So it means this is the safe range that the Theos will handle, should you choose an amplifier anywhere between this power output range.

The most important thing to consider is not just power but high current and stable voltage. Electrostats have a notorious impedence swing, they're referred to as reactive loads. As the frequency changes so does the impedence and this can vary from high as 22 Ohms and as low as 0.7 Ohms. That's less than 1 Ohm and this swing takes place in a blink of eye!

This varying reactive load, is what causes many so called power amplifiers to crap themselves. They just don't have the required high current nor stable voltage to handle difficult loads, which is typical of Stats. Hence, power alone is not everything, in fact it doesn't mean anything!

I've used several so called high powered amplifiers to drive Maggie's, Quad ESL's and Apogee's, (without mentioning brand names) most of them simply shut down. They run out of puff and they're more suited to benign loads or much higher efficiency speakers, like Horns.

So the question is, how do you know what type of current or measurable range of current capacity the amplifier can produce? Well, two things you could look for:
1. Check if current values are stated in the specs, most high-end gear will indicate the specs as amps. This is a good indication that it can produce high current and hold steady voltage. Ideal for driving Stats effectively.
2. The power output ratings, sated as RMS power output into 8 Ohms, then doubles at 4 Ohms and triples at 2 Ohms. Ex. 50w/ch x 8 Ohms, 100w/ch x 4 Ohms, and 200w/ch x 2 Ohms. This basically means that the amplifier is stable all the way down to 2 Ohms.

There are other brands that will have specs at 1 Ohm, these are quite rare specs but again ideal for handling such impedence swings found in Stats.

If you're planning on getting a 20w integrated, just make sure it can handle down to 2 Ohms or at least doubles in power at 4 Ohms or below. If these specs aren't stated then it means this amp will blow up like the 4th of July trying to drive stats. It simply won't work.

Also look out for Class A or Class AB power ratings, as this is a very good indication of the amplifier's output stage.

Cheers and all the best,
RJ

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Probably not.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Maybe if it was a Destination Audio 20w Class A integrated... or Audio Note Overture 32w Class tube designs or the Ongaku amps pure Class A, now that would be sweet as! Then again not sure what the budget is here...

I remember when I had the Ethos speakers, even though they had built-in amps to drive the bass drivers, they still required some humpty to get those panels under grip. I used a few: McIntosh mc275, Jas Audio 300B, Quad II 80 monoblocks rated at 80w each, and a CJ Classic 60se and 62se. They were all great but limited, certain dynamics sounded compressed or would break up, except for the CJ amplifiers. A superb match!

When I got the more powerful monoblocks, of course bigger trannies, stiffer power supplies and a whole lot more bias in Class A, the Ethos really opened up! So did the Montis and Summit-X, all benefited by larger power supplies in the amplifiers.

Attn: to the OP
If you're really keen on 20w integrated amps, just keep these things in mind:
1. Current capacity and stable voltage
2. Power supplies in the output stage
3. Ability to handle difficult loads down to 2 Ohms.

Then you're all set!
Cheers, RJ

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
On another note: maybe check with the dealer from where you bought the Theos from... they should be able to recommend a suitable amplifier, that's provided you bought from a dealer.

Dealers who represent ML speakers know their gear well, and will be able to offer a wider selection based on your budget. Usually when you ask us on a forum which amp to buy, you ll get responses from amps costing a grand to 100grand! So it's not easy to guage.

Cheers, RJ

Reactions: AZWink

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing