Amp recommendations for Nola Metro Grand speakers

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Frankly, it sounds like Concert Grands plus Ref75 is a GIANT SYSTEM killer. Does the Ref75 also work for the Grand Ref IV or whatever the 4 tower super-flagship is?

That I don't know.

However the Concert Grand Golds with REF10/RE75(withKT150s) is the best system I have ever owned or heard for that matter.

I am truly enjoying the system and couldn't ask for more. The tweak/change component syndrome is no more for me.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
That I don't know.

However the Concert Grand Golds with REF10/RE75(withKT150s) is the best system I have ever owned or heard for that matter.

I am truly enjoying the system and couldn't ask for more. The tweak/change component syndrome is no more for me.

The sweetspot of audio...satisfaction. Congrats!!! And enjoy.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Is your place the only one in the world that carries both Magico and Wilson? You carry other great brands as well!

Bruce,

At less in the UK and Portugal both brands are carried by the same distributors and dealers. I have often listened to both brands in the same room and similar equipments,

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
At less in the UK and Portugal both brands are carried by the same distributors and dealers. I have often listened to both brands in the same room and similar equipments,

I thought that was against some "audiophile law". You are ONLY allowed to like either Magico or Wilson. There is no "and/or" allowed in this hobby. I guess Europe is way ahead of us here in America.

When I was a kid there was a rule. You could like The Grateful Dead "OR" The Allman Brothers but weren't allowed to like both; or at least admit it. It was one OR the other.

That is what the Wilson vs. Magico thing reminds me of.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...)

Says the owner of an Odin Power cable! :D

Enjoy.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Says the owner of an Odin Power cable! :D

Enjoy.

ABSURD!!
Couldn't agree more.

Ony in this crazy "hobby" would some idiot like me pay more for a power cord than the the amp it plugs into.

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
and the winner is......(insert drumroll)............Ayon Triton Monoblocks.

In triode mode (only!), these amps are wonderful with the Nola speakers.
I can't omit the contribution of the SR Tungsten speaker and interconnects, which created a large soundstage and detached the music from the hardware.
As I played the cable game, it was fairly easy to identify major improvements and I think I've reached a happy stopping point.

Together I have magic in the house, way beyond anything I've ever achieved before, even my wife comes in to listen more often now.

"How do you get the sound to not seem to come from the speakers?" says it all..........and I just smile like a wizard with secret knowledge.

postscript: tried latest SR Atmosphere Level 2 interconnects but the Tungsten were much superior, as the Level 2 killed the soundstage/depth........it may have helped the bass but without the imaging magic, i had no desire to listen further.

baseline cables: 8' SR Tungsten speaker cables (silver UEF), 50' Mogami Gold (balanced, only need 30' really, affordable) pre-amp to monoblocks, 1m SR Tungsten (grey UEF) from TotalDAC D1-dual to Pass Aleph P.
the old SR bullets are far below UEF level performance and should be a no-brainer upgrade for those with older cables
a mix of 1 silver UEF and 1 grey UEF was critical to obtaining the right frequency balance (and imaging, surprisingly..........i expect freq impact, but not imaging............i guess synergy works in mysterious ways)

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
and the winner is......(insert drumroll)............Ayon Triton Monoblocks.

In triode mode (only!), these amps are wonderful with the Nola speakers.
I can't omit the contribution of the SR Tungsten speaker and interconnects, which created a large soundstage and detached the music from the hardware.
As I played the cable game, it was fairly easy to identify major improvements and I think I've reached a happy stopping point.

Together I have magic in the house, way beyond anything I've ever achieved before, even my wife comes in to listen more often now.

"How do you get the sound to not seem to come from the speakers?" says it all..........and I just smile like a wizard with secret knowledge.

postscript: tried latest SR Atmosphere Level 2 interconnects but the Tungsten were much superior, as the Level 2 killed the soundstage/depth........it may have helped the bass but without the imaging magic, i had no desire to listen further.

baseline cables: 8' SR Tungsten speaker cables (silver UEF), 50' Mogami Gold (balanced, only need 30' really, affordable) pre-amp to monoblocks, 1m SR Tungsten (grey UEF) from TotalDAC D1-dual to Pass Aleph P.
the old SR bullets are far below UEF level performance and should be a no-brainer upgrade for those with older cables
a mix of 1 silver UEF and 1 grey UEF was critical to obtaining the right frequency balance (and imaging, surprisingly..........i expect freq impact, but not imaging............i guess synergy works in mysterious ways)

Hey congratulations.

They are fine speakers and have AMAZING capabilities that unfortunately few give a listen to in this Magico and Wilson dominated world. I have the Concert Grands after having moved from the Micro to the Baby and ultimately to the CGR and like you, love how accurate they are and just how seamless and transparent they are. They TRULY disappear like no other. Enjoy. I am not familiar with your amps but looked them up and have no doubt they must sound awesome.

Enjoy.

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
Thanks Priaptor.

I'm quite amazed at what I've ended up with, really beyond my expectations of what could be achieved in my house with speakers of that size (each between fireplace and window) and location (<1 ft from rear wall).
And of course, I promised my wife that they would be more attractive than my 20 year old speakers (b&w801) and I find them visually stunning as well.

It all started with the headphone system, Stax 009 and a BHSE amp (end game, check).
That was so resolving that I looked at upgrading my old Wadia DAC, a long search that end with the D1-dual from TotalDAC which forced me to change my system to fully balanced to capture the fully balanced DAC benefits.
That combo is scary good, creating dynamic shades that could stop me in my tracks with the subtleties captured, and running it single ended lost some of the mojo--so balanced it had to be.

When I got the Nola speakers, I had to run them single ended from the DAC since the my VTL monoblocks had no balanced inputs. I thought the speaker system sounded pretty good.
But with too much gain requiring too much digital attenuation at the DAC (20-35dB), I bought a used Pass Aleph P. Putting the attenuation in the analog stage and setting the DAC for -2dB further improved the sound.
The Ayons were recommended by Chris at EastEnd Hifi on Long Island, who I visited during lunch break of a Head-Fi meet in Babylon, NY, and they have proven to be a great match (with switch in triode mode).
Adding the Ayons required replacing my 30' runs of good old Audioquest with Mogami Gold (trying to stay sane with my $ at this point), but in triode mode they further improved the sound, even with my good old 8' runs of Tara Time & Phase II speaker cables.

Last, I went after cables and spent a few months comparing recommendations, with various cables having pros and cons, before hearing the Tungsten/UEF combination which was head and shoulders above the others.
AlanK came by for multiple cable listening sessions and we were almost always in agreement on what we heard. When the Tungsten/UEF went in with the right set of UEF (one silver, one grey), we stared at each other with dropped jaws.
I think his words were "this is it, you're done" or something like that. The other thing we found during the cable listening sessions was that streaming WAV was much superior to streaming FLAC (it was a no-brainer level of obvious).
I had a directory of 10-20 FLAC tracks (most 16/44 but some hi-rez) that we used for evaluation (to which Alan added a few that he was particularly familiar with) and I immediately went to my computer and created a similar directory of WAV files and never looked back.

So, I still have a few things to play with and if there is still something to be squeezed out of the streaming/digital source I'll continue there (currently stream music from NAS to Sonore running a Squeezelite client, the 6TB NAS was one directory with FLAC, another with WAV. As a non-obsessive obsessive type (I don't change equipment a lot, but I do change lots of equipment--if you get what I mean), I'll focus small tweaks going forward like stone under the speakers (bouncy wooden floor), reducing digital noise sources, etc) but my main focus will be listening (woo-hoo!)

What a long strange trip this has been..............

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Thanks Priaptor.

I'm quite amazed at what I've ended up with, really beyond my expectations of what could be achieved in my house with speakers of that size (each between fireplace and window) and location (<1 ft from rear wall).
And of course, I promised my wife that they would be more attractive than my 20 year old speakers (b&w801) and I find them visually stunning as well.

It all started with the headphone system, Stax 009 and a BHSE amp (end game, check).
That was so resolving that I looked at upgrading my old Wadia DAC, a long search that end with the D1-dual from TotalDAC which forced me to change my system to fully balanced to capture the fully balanced DAC benefits.
That combo is scary good, creating dynamic shades that could stop me in my tracks with the subtleties captured, and running it single ended lost some of the mojo--so balanced it had to be.

When I got the Nola speakers, I had to run them single ended from the DAC since the my VTL monoblocks had no balanced inputs. I thought the speaker system sounded pretty good.
But with too much gain requiring too much digital attenuation at the DAC (20-35dB), I bought a used Pass Aleph P. Putting the attenuation in the analog stage and setting the DAC for -2dB further improved the sound.
The Ayons were recommended by Chris at EastEnd Hifi on Long Island, who I visited during lunch break of a Head-Fi meet in Babylon, NY, and they have proven to be a great match (with switch in triode mode).
Adding the Ayons required replacing my 30' runs of good old Audioquest with Mogami Gold (trying to stay sane with my $ at this point), but in triode mode they further improved the sound, even with my good old 8' runs of Tara Time & Phase II speaker cables.

Last, I went after cables and spent a few months comparing recommendations, with various cables having pros and cons, before hearing the Tungsten/UEF combination which was head and shoulders above the others.
AlanK came by for multiple cable listening sessions and we were almost always in agreement on what we heard. When the Tungsten/UEF went in with the right set of UEF (one silver, one grey), we stared at each other with dropped jaws.
I think his words were "this is it, you're done" or something like that. The other thing we found during the cable listening sessions was that streaming WAV was much superior to streaming FLAC (it was a no-brainer level of obvious).
I had a directory of 10-20 FLAC tracks (most 16/44 but some hi-rez) that we used for evaluation (to which Alan added a few that he was particularly familiar with) and I immediately went to my computer and created a similar directory of WAV files and never looked back.

So, I still have a few things to play with and if there is still something to be squeezed out of the streaming/digital source I'll continue there (currently stream music from NAS to Sonore running a Squeezelite client, the 6TB NAS was one directory with FLAC, another with WAV. As a non-obsessive obsessive type (I don't change equipment a lot, but I do change lots of equipment--if you get what I mean), I'll focus small tweaks going forward like stone under the speakers (bouncy wooden floor), reducing digital noise sources, etc) but my main focus will be listening (woo-hoo!)

What a long strange trip this has been..............

It is interesting you started with Stax 009 and ended with Nola. I think the NOLA set up properly (actually relatively easy to do) and the right synergy of cables and electronics produces one of the most (at least IMO) open and transparent sounds around and incredibly neutral to boot. I too had a hard time in finding what was right for the CGRs but when I did, it was mind boggling. The few who have heard my system (and I don't let many into my lair) have been absolutely flabbergasted.

With a few tweeks here and there my system has been pretty stable for over a year and half and every listen is a treat. When you can just sit and enjoy the music and not want or need to tweek you reached your goal.

Enjoy.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I heard his Nola's great speakers. Great setup,too. Glad he found end game with dac .
The stax at far from the Nola's that's true but headphones do have there place some times you just want to hear thugs different or closeup much more than speakers can give you. Although I do prefere my hifiman HE6 more than my stax 009.
Al

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
I heard his Nola's great speakers. Great setup,too. Glad he found end game with dac .
The stax at far from the Nola's that's true but headphones do have there place some times you just want to hear thugs different or closeup much more than speakers can give you. Although I do prefere my hifiman HE6 more than my stax 009.
Al

Actually I was implying the Stax do somethings similar to NOLAs so a natural gravitation to the Nola made sense if that is where he started.

I am sure it is an excellent system. While I went from the Micros to the Baby Grands to the Concert Grands the Metros are probably the sweet spot in his line in terms of performance per dollar. I went nuts. I admit it. But WTF.

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
Hi Al,

Long time Al!

Since you heard my speakers much has happened, things sound (IMHO) an order of magnitude better sounding than before.
The TotalDAC D1-Dual (and your MSB stack) are the two best I've heard, but your MSB in my system was the first inkling I had of how good digital could sound,
and really what kept me searching the DAC universe until I hit paydirt (instantaneously clear to me when I heard the fully balanced totaldac with balanced cables to BHSE/009 headphone setup)............. I only heard your MSB stack single ended :) but its superiority to everything else we compared it with was obvious.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Hello and I am glad your happy. In audio it's hard to be lol. I am building a new room for my infinity irs V. When it's done your welcome to come buy . I have a few good dacs for you to hear. I still own the msb , but also have a lampi B7. And couple of others.
Regarding preraptor fine guy knows what he likes and has great taste too as you can see Nola's are something to want and keep when you aquire them. Your speakers were very good. We all,learn as we go
Al

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing