AlsyVox Caravaggio plus subwoofers @ Taiko Audio

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
I'd like to start sharing my experience over the past year with Alsyvox full range planar loudspeakers culminating in the purchase of the Caravaggio 4-way + the optional additional subwoofers 6 months ago.

I have always been a ribbon fan, starting with having owned Stage Accompany loudspeaker with their famed high efficiency Ribbon tweeter decades ago, to Apogee Full Ranges which unfortunately did restrict amplification choices. Just over a year ago we visited @Rhapsody Bob in his "mad audio scientist lab" in New York where I first heard Alsyvox's smallest model, the Tintoretto:

IMG_0416.jpg

With Bob's help we managed to sign a distribution agreement with Alsyvox for The Netherlands and we acquired their next model up, the Botticelli:

DSCF2981.jpg

About 2 months after their arrival Daniele Coen visited us to install the optional External crossovers, upgrading them to Botticelli X status. From left to right: Daniele (Alsyvox), @EuroDriver (Edward), me, Ton, Ted (Taiko Audio):

DSCF3025-bewerkt.jpg

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
nice to see "Stern" and "Heisenberg" at your place :)

Reactions: Taiko Audio

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
What is that big curved panel behind the listening seat? Acoustic or decorative/room divider?
I know it's been recommended to put a diffuser/absorber 1-2m behind my seat, since my rear wall is all of 7m behind me.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Around 6 months ago we started planning relocating to a new larger facility. That facility could accommodate a much larger 8x14 meter listening room which would be a better fit for Alsyvox's largest model, the Caravaggio. The Carvaggio can be extended with additional subwoofer panels to fill larger spaces. You can add 1 pair of subwoofers to drive rooms larger then 80m2, and 2 pairs to drive rooms of over 100m2 in size (the 6 panel system is named "Michelangelo"). Each set of additional subwoofers also boosts overall system efficiency from 94 to 95 to 96dB.

Daniele once again visited us to aid in setting them up, a few photos:

DSCF3120.jpg

DSCF3122.jpg

DSCF3124.jpg

From left to right: Daniele, @tsaett (Christoph) and me:

DSCF3090.jpg

Daniele:

DSCF3138.jpg

And a IMHO pretty cool drone video one of the guys made:

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
What is that big curved panel behind the listening seat? Acoustic or decorative/room divider?
I know it's been recommended to put a diffuser/absorber 1-2m behind my seat, since my rear wall is all of 7m behind me.

That's a pretty effective multipurpose mock up we did. It does indeed provide very mild absorption / diffusion / scattering (the slope is to large to be really effective at that), but it's main purpose is to act as an adjustable "bass trap", it provides a reduction of low frequency waves bouncing back from the rear wall (it has about 10" of absorptive material behind the curved thin walled wooden front) which you can tune or adjust by moving it closer or further away from the wall.

Reactions: shakti

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
It's something I might investigate...in a maybe less extravagant way Lol.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Running out of time today, but tomorrow I'll share some of my experiences with the various models of the Alsyvox line-up. These photos were taken in our old 66m2 listening room, I can already share that the subwoofers are abundant in that room size. I was only using the main panels there as the subwoofers are really only additive in much larger rooms then our old room. What those add to the equation will have to wait for a while as our new large room is not entirely finished yet.

Reactions: Rhapsody

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Emile, could I send you a PM on this, I'm already derailing your lovely thread Lol.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Continuing where I left off a week ago:

It all started with our visit to @Rhapsody last year October where we spend a few days of listening and sightseeing, thank you Bob for showing us around! We flew from Seattle to Boston first (to visit a customer there) where we rented a car to drive down to New York. Some photos I took back then:

This car size might be a regular occurrence on US streets, it is not normal where we come from :) :

0677aaef-e4e0-4318-8255-0d78171a0b8e.JPG

Our drive from Boston to New York, light traffic:

IMG_0341.jpg

IMG_0361.jpg

Not so light traffic:

IMG_0366.jpg

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
As is obvious on the photos Bob has a significant amount of gear stashed into his 80m2 New York business apartment. He tells me he is looking to relocate to a bigger place as his portfolio keeps expanding and at some point in time his creative mind is not going to run out of ideas on how to keep everything in there, and yes it is as crowded as the photos suggest! That does not take anything away from it being a very nice environment to audition gear in and he does manage to have very good sound in there. We did spend a considerable amount of time in there just "chilling", enjoying some good tunes:

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Hi Emile,

You captured your visit splendidly. It was a wonderful time that we had and it was pre-Covid so it all seems like a dream now. A VERY nice dream:)

Hopefully in the not too distant future you will making another excursion to the US.

Stay safe over there and Happy Holidays!

Bob

Reactions: ALF and Taiko Audio

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
Reactions: ALF and Taiko Audio

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Great photos! some very nice gear.. What are those small speakers on the rear and side wall used for ?
NYC traffic is never a pleasant experience..
There is a 200" projection system that drops down in the middle of all of the gear and the six active speakers on the wall are the surround/rear speakers for home theater. I run a Theta Casablanca and use whatever speakers I have set up as the fronts with a phantom center along with the surrounds/rears.

Reactions: Mikem53 and ALF

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Hi Emile,

You captured your visit splendidly. It was a wonderful time that we had and it was pre-Covid so it all seems like a dream now. A VERY nice dream:)

Hopefully in the not too distant future you will making another excursion to the US.

Stay safe over there and Happy Holidays!

Bob

Indeed no social distancing measures back then:

IMG_3642.jpg

Bob seated in front of the fountain:

IMG_3645.jpg

Bob feeding his pet squirrels:

IMG_0397.jpg

I took over 150 photos, to not stray from the topic to much I will restrain myself from posting them all :) We did have a great time indeed, looking forward to return, hopefully in 2021!

Reactions: ALF and Mikem53

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
There is a 200" projection system that drops down in the middle of all of the gear and the six active speakers on the wall are the surround/rear speakers for home theater. I run a Theta Casablanca and use whatever speakers I have set up as the fronts with a phantom center along with the surrounds/rears.
Very Nice, 200” must be true cinematic experience, with sound to match. Thanks !

Reactions: ALF

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Very Nice, 200” must be true cinematic experience, with sound to match. Thanks !
For sports, concerts etc it's pretty much like being at the events. The sound gives it that feel even more than the video. Especially the "fake fan noise" they pump in for the current sporting events:)

Reactions: Bbock and ALF

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing