Allnic H3000 naked z-foil vishay tweak

This is for those Allnic owners that are handy with a soldering iron or know someone that is. I've owned the H3000 for about a year before I decided to try this and I'm glad I did. I bought some 68k naked z-foil resistors. I bypassed the input resistor switch and soldered them straight to the input block. This of course will mean you can not change the resistance without soldering in a different resistor but I found no need to do so in my setup. I also have a friend that tried it on his unit with good results as well. On the Allnic you can still adjust the loading somewhat by adjusting the step up transformers.

This results in a sound that is more pure. It does not change the tonality that I noticed. At least in my system and that of my friends there was no down side short of less loading options.

H3000.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Did the mod this afternoon. The best way to describe the change is similar to swapping to Telefunken tubes. Lots of detail, slightly etched, maybe on the slightly bright side of neutral. After a few hours I put in Slage Silver SUTs that I have on demo. All together, sounds good.
Dare I say, the resistors need to break-in?
I would be curious how an Audio Note Silver Resistor would sound.
If you like Telefunken tubes, stick with the Vishay, if you like Mullard, maybe try a different resistor.
For the ease of the mod, it is worth doing. I have other mods in mind for the H3000 that Ill be doing this summer.

Last edited:
Did the mod this afternoon. The best way to describe the change is similar to swapping to Telefunken tubes. Lots of detail, slightly etched, maybe on the slightly bright side of neutral. After a few hours I put in Slage Silver SUTs that I have on demo. All together, sounds good.
Dare I say, the resistors need to break-in?
I would be curious how an Audio Note Silver Resistor would sound.
If you like Telefunken tubes, stick with the Vishay, if you like Mullard, maybe try a different resistor.
For the ease of the mod, it is worth doing. I have other mods in mind for the H3000 that Ill be doing this summer.
Thanks for sharing, any pics?

Next mods will be to:
- Remove XLR output, just have RCA
- Bypass input section and have an RCA input that goes straight to the tube, with a 47K resistor in parallel. Will likely try an Audio Note Silver Resistor for this. I will be purchasing the Slage Ag SUT and do not need the built in SUT anymore.
- After that, maybe Slage Silver wound inductor?

Reactions: matakana
Next mods will be to:
- Remove XLR output, just have RCA
- Bypass input section and have an RCA input that goes straight to the tube, with a 47K resistor in parallel. Will likely try an Audio Note Silver Resistor for this. I will be purchasing the Slage Ag SUT and do not need the built in SUT anymore.
- After that, maybe Slage Silver wound inductor?
So what value are the resistors you soldered in ?

Next mods will be to:
- Bypass input section and have an RCA input that goes straight to the tube, with a 47K resistor in parallel. Will likely try an Audio Note Silver Resistor for this.
If you are going this far, make the input resistor 200k or 300k. The 47k is a value only has relevance to MM carts and if using a SUT that value can become a liability.

Reactions: advanced101
If you are going this far, make the input resistor 200k or 300k. The 47k is a value only has relevance to MM carts and if using a SUT that value can become a liability.
I was of course going to get your input on some of these mods, I can certainly go higher in value.

Ended up doing a few more mods:
- Removed internal input board
- Removed stock SUTs
- Removed impedance switch
- Installed Intact Audio Silver SUTs
- Installed 220k 2W Audio Note Tantalum Silver resistors
- Removed XLR outputs, now it goes straight to the RCA outputs rather than the XLR and a switch
- Input and Output RCAs are now WBT Silver
- Removed stock grounding post, installed a Cardas ground post.
- Used all Neotech Ag/Au 24ga Hook up Wire, Mundorf SG Supreme Solder
- Tried to shield as much of the signal paths with Mumetal
- Ordered a copper plate for the bottom of the chassis, for fun, don't have it yet.

All-in-all a fun job. Sound wise, as you would imagine, more detail and much better tonal colors. Everything is better. The unit is about as quiet as the stock version. I will likely experiment with further shielding of the SUTs and start thinking about the power supply.
sLAGE sut1.jpg

It is unbeleavable that a "High End" product even needs tweeking !
If it is a "box" i have made for as little money as possible then i would agree to tweek it.

Yes , i agree. But that should be standard. Or should be offered as a different model (MK2 or SE etc.) not something the “end user” should be concerned about. Is this the “entry level” model ?

Ended up doing a few more mods:
- Removed internal input board
- Removed stock SUTs
- Removed impedance switch
- Installed Intact Audio Silver SUTs
- Installed 220k 2W Audio Note Tantalum Silver resistors
- Removed XLR outputs, now it goes straight to the RCA outputs rather than the XLR and a switch
- Input and Output RCAs are now WBT Silver
- Removed stock grounding post, installed a Cardas ground post.
- Used all Neotech Ag/Au 24ga Hook up Wire, Mundorf SG Supreme Solder
- Tried to shield as much of the signal paths with Mumetal
- Ordered a copper plate for the bottom of the chassis, for fun, don't have it yet.

All-in-all a fun job. Sound wise, as you would imagine, more detail and much better tonal colors. Everything is better. The unit is about as quiet as the stock version. I will likely experiment with further shielding of the SUTs and start thinking about the power supply.
View attachment 78800
I guess you cant comment on the audio note resistors versus z foil, as you have no reference now with the other changes?

I guess you cant comment on the audio note resistors versus z foil, as you have no reference now with the other changes?
That is correct, I apologize.
All changes so far been very positive. Since the last post, I wired the RCA Outputs directly to the Output Transformers, eliminating the Mute & Phase switches and associated headers. I also replaced the bottom panel with copper. For feet I compared Stillpoint SS and Herbie's Tenderfeet. I preferred the Herbies.
I see this as a fruitful project. The base H3000 is fantastic, especially with the KR RK Recti. If you are looking at having some fun, and don't need all the flexibility of the unit you can essentially turn it into a MM one input, RCA only out and it takes the unit up another notch. With the above mods, the tone is gorgeous and the new detail coming through is mesmerizing.
Next up, I have plans for the Power Supply and a new/ special Rectifier.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing