All American Credit Cards Will Disappear In 2015 And Be Replaced With This New Tech

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
By Jim Edwards | Business Insider

These credit cards are dinosaurs.
Every credit card in the U.S. will be replaced by October 2015 with new cards that contain the chip-and-PIN technology that the rest of the world has had for years, according to the Wall Street Journal.

Both Visa and MasterCard are committed to the switch, which will render extinct the plastic in your wallets and purses right now.
No more black magnetic stripes; no more signing on the dotted line.

Americans who have traveled to Europe in recent years will know that the U.S.'s credit card system is embarrassingly old-fashioned by comparison. It's often difficult to use American credit cards abroad because the Europeans abandoned magnetic stripes and signatures years ago — they were too easily hacked. Credit and debit cards in the U.S. are about 10 years behind the rest of the world.

The new cards contain a microchip and require the owner to enter a PIN into a payment machine at checkout.
They are more secure for a couple of reasons.

First, requiring the PIN prevents checkout staff from handling your card — they will simply hand you the point-of-sale device and customers will insert their cards and verify payment themselves. Currently, when a checkout staffer takes your card, they can surreptitiously swipe it through a card-copying machine, or simply copy the number on it. A version of this hack was used to steal 70 million credit card numbers from Target customers between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Hackers altered the point-of-sale machines to copy the info on the magnetic stripe as it was swiped. With chip-and-PIN, the number on the chip alone is useless — you need the PIN too, and that can be changed any time.

Second, the chip replaces the magnetic stripe, which is easily copied and therefore vulnerable to hackers, as the Target sting proved. In France, chip-and-PIN allegedly reduced credit-card fraud by 80% (although the sourcing for this number is vague).
In fact, the reason the U.S. is being forced into making the chip-and-PIN change now is that the fraud industry migrated from Europe to America simply because U.S. cards were easier to hack than the European ones, according to MasterCard’s Carolyn Balfany, the company’s expert on the change.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Thanks Steve interesting especially as one whose account was recently emptied by crooks in Eastern Europe.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Sh***t; what happened? Did you recover?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Sh***t; what happened? Did you recover?

Yes they made good. Sure I wasn't the only victim.

Hysterical thing was - at least now - was that Chase's fraud protection system had an epic fail.

A while back made a paypal payment for $750 and immediately got a call from the fraud dept. These crooks transferred all the money in savings to my checking account and then made something like 30 wire transfers, each slightly under $1000, to a bank in Poland that had never done business with. And the system failed to pick that up. WTF?

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
given the stakes I'm still surprised it has taken our banks so long to do this. A couple of card issuers (not banks) proposed this change several years ago, but the banks said it was more trouble than it was worth. Hindsight is 20/20, but there can be value in foresight as well.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I have had serious problem using my cards in europe especially in London. Multiple times I have had to pay cash because they did not even know what a card without the secure ID was!

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Even Downunder we have the credit cards with the chips and pin/or sign.

At a lot of stores now , for purchases of $100 or less just require you scan the chip and payment is taken. No sign or pin.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
The US banking system is seriously behind, and not only in cards.

Brazil has had PINs for the longest time now, and yes, some machines won't even accept non-chip cards.

As a byproduct of the move to chip-and-PIN, hopefully the US will also be rid of the incredibly insecure (and annoying) method of tipping via credit card slips!

alexandre

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I had an experience in London a few years ago now. I was at the Niketown shop making a purchase using my card. The kid behind the counter looked at it and said "How quaint, a slider" and called his buddies over to have a look at it. I felt like I was from a 3rd world county or something, having such a thing. A real issue for me is buying gas in Europe. The pumps do not support a slider only the chip cards, so you have to park at the pump, go in the shop, wait in line and use the slider. When you need to fill up the rental car on the way to the airport, this can be a real PITA. I have asked our credit card company to issue us a chip card and they have refused saying they are too expensive to make and have even claimed in the pass that they are not as secure as the sliders the latter of which is complete BS. Perhaps now with the issues at Target and the like, they will actually bite the bullet and issue these cards in the US. I for one will continue to demand that they do.

Portugal

Jan 13, 2013
What happens is that as Europe, Brazil and many other countries migrate to chip and pin cards, fraudsters migrate to the countries that keep on using unsafe technologies, like the USA.

Fraud is dynamic as fraudsters can travel and abandon "safe" territories to focus on "exposed" geographies.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
What happens is that as Europe, Brazil and many other countries migrate to chip and pin cards, fraudsters migrate to the countries that keep on using unsafe technologies, like the USA.

Fraud is dynamic as fraudsters can travel and abandon "safe" territories to focus on "exposed" geographies.

Not to mention don't hear about alternate technologies in the US press, only the banks moaning about how much they lose. Maybe they want another bailout? Certainly with banks losing billions to fraud, implementing this technology would have been a drop in the bucket. Their success rate catching these crooks is basically nil.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Recently got a replacement Mastercard, the first one with a chip. It has both a mag strip and a chip. Issued by B of A. I'll try it in May in my annual London trip. I know that I can't use my old style CC's to top up my Oyster card (used for the bus and tube) on the machines in London. A pain to have to stand in line to do the top up manually with my old slider cards!

Larry

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Besides the chip technology used in Europe, it is also comforting that they your card doesn't leave your table and go behind the counter when you are paying for dinner. Even with our magnetic cards they bring the handheld device to the table and swipe it in front of you then hand it right back.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing