AF3P pump / power supply unit

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
I will take delivery of an AF3P in the new year. Would like to seek advice from fellow enthusiasts on where to place / locate the power supply / pump unit ? Is it ok to have on on the same rack as the table itself ? Or is it more logical to have the unit on a separate rack ? I worry about the vibration from the pump unit. Am I being too anal about this ? Any advice or pictures are welcome. Much appreciated.

AF3P-NL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
I will take delivery of an AF3P in the new year. Would like to seek advice from fellow enthusiasts on where to place / locate the power supply / pump unit ? Is it ok to have on on the same rack as the table itself ? Or is it more logical to have the unit on a separate rack ? I worry about the vibration from the pump unit. Am I being too anal about this ? Any advice or pictures are welcome. Much appreciated.
don't worry about vibration you can put it on the same rack with turntable and it will work perfectly, but if you put it on a separate rack or directly on the floor it may sound better. you need to try which works best for you. I have friends using AF3 either on the same rack or on the floor without any complaints of vibration or noise. where you put power supply/compressor effects the sound, also the powercord. I know it does not sound logical but that's what it is.

Reactions: joeling

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Another question related to AF tt power supply units. Do you guys worry about power failure while listening? This is a quote from the instruction manual:
1644317644637.png
Shall I worry about damaging the platter? Maybe some sort of UPS device is needed to be on the safe side. Hopefully it won’t have any adverse effect on the sound quality. Any ideas?

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Another question related to AF tt power supply units. Do you guys worry about power failure while listening? This is a quote from the instruction manual:
View attachment 89010
Shall I worry about damaging the platter? Maybe some sort of UPS device is needed to be on the safe side. Hopefully it won’t have any adverse effect on the sound quality. Any ideas?

Yikes! In FL we have a lot of brown outs. Lightning is our State Bird.

Is this platter situation the same for the AF1P?

Last edited:

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Yikes! In FL we have a lot of brown outs. Lightning in our State Bird.

Is this platter situation the same true for the AF1P?
Should be the same for all Techdas models.

Reactions: Audire

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Thank you, found it, the thread is located in the manufactures section, but it is only accessible through the search function, not sure why.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Thank you, found it, the thread is located in the manufactures section, but it is only accessible through the search function, not sure why.
can you please copy a link in this thread?

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Reactions: shakti

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
In the linked thread above one reply in it stated,

The platter is rotating at a very small height from the floating glass (30??) and it is actually not so likely that the platter or the glass would be damaged by a power failure unless it happens often and repeatedly. So we do not suggest using an UPS in particular, but it will be of course good to use an UPS if you want to make double sure.

The phrase, “unless it happens often and repeatedly” bothers me as our State Bird in FL is lightning. I think we will have to reconsider whether or not we get a TechDAS as our next TT.

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
silly imo, should be some sort of reverse valve to keep pressure in place, at least for a while
I’m sure there is a check calve on feeding line but that’s not the point cause air is running out under the platter and there is no way to prevent it. keeping platter in place without air supply is impossible regarding the design of air bearing.
air goes inside main bearing through a feeding line and makes a thin film between bearing and platter on all dimensions. and exhausts under the platter. that way air lifts the 29kg platter and keeps it on the air without touching anything. that’s why main bearing uses no oil.
whenever a power failure occurs it’s necessary but easy to stop the platter by hand. using a ups will be the worst thing to do in terms of sound quality. every turntable has a drawback and this is the one for AF turntables.

Last edited:

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Also some other gear, like music servers, do not like power failures.
The high end solution is a STROMTANK
I already know one AF3P user in Germany with a Stromtank :)
(not me)

scot

Jan 4, 2018
Hi joeling

Congratulations on buying the AF3P, I recently went with a friend to one of our local high end brick & mortar shops and listened to that exact table, all I can say is..... WOW! That was, in imho, one of, if not the best tables I have ever heard. I’m sure the tonearm & cartridge had a lot to do with what we both were so blown away with. The arm was the Acoustical Systems Axiom & the cartridge was from the same company, it was their top of the line Palladian. Holy shit, it just was spectacular. The system was also pretty great. The tonearm cable was the Stealth Helios, the phono stage was the entry level Zander, the preamp was the big MBL, mono amps were the smaller MBL’s, and the speakers were the Vivid Giya (last years versions) G1’s. The cables were all Stealth (not sure which ones). The bass was incredible & the dynamics were off the charts. It was open, delicate and had amazing slam.

I don’t know it you’re aware, since your post, TechDAS has upgraded the feet with new ones that are air suspension that are said to improve isolation. The price increase for the AF3PS (the new model #) is pretty reasonable, it adds another $3000.00 US. I would imagine you would want the new feet. I know I would.

Back to your original question. A table of that quality is worthy of squeezing every last bit of performance out of it. If you have the luxury of putting the pump on a separate stand, that is what I would do. The demo we heard had the air pump on the bottom shelf of the same stand (Artisania) The little differences do add up. In a perfect world, I think putting it on a separate rack could only sound better.

You asked if you were being too anal about this? Isn’t being a serious audiophile at that level all about being too anal? I think most audiophiles would agree. I hope you enjoy your new table, truly a fantastic buy!

Best regards
Scot

Last edited:

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
TechDAS has upgraded the feet with new ones that are air suspension that are said to improve isolation.
no they don't have air suspension but basic type elastomers similar to the ones on the pump/power supply unit. IME they do little to improve isolation but sound better compared to solid feet.

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
The Table has been delivered and I installed it into my main system on CNY eve.

Attachments

• IMG-7683.jpg
    IMG-7683.jpg
    726.6 KB · Views: 36
Reactions: dan31 and djsina2

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
I have this air reservoir fitted to the Bergmann to accumulate pressure and maintain / smooth out any fluctuations. Seems to work. May consider to adapt this to the AF3P. Do u think it will help in case of power failure ? At least to maintain some pressure while the platter slows.

Bottles bought by my friend from Taobao :p

Attachments

• IMG-8344.jpg
    IMG-8344.jpg
    692.8 KB · Views: 22

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I have this air reservoir fitted to the Bergmann to accumulate pressure and maintain / smooth out any fluctuations. Seems to work. May consider to adapt this to the AF3P. Do u think it will help in case of power failure ? At least to maintain some pressure while the platter slows.

@gian60 owned both so ask him

jazzdude99

Jul 10, 2021

Please make sure your glass bottles and connectors are rated for pressure use - you don’t want an accident with glass flying around. In a chemistry lab, glass ware is often used under vacuum, but only specialized glassware under pressure, and only then with safety shields.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing