Advice needed - Hifi dual purposed with home cinema sound

Multiway

Feb 3, 2024
New Forest
My daughters want me to dual purpose 'our' listening room to include cinema!

I like getting away from the screen, but a large screen would fit nicely on the front wall between the SH50s I made.

They seem to do voice etc just fine centred nicely, so centre speaker not really necessary?
Couple of smaller rears and we'd be there..

The 2 tapped horn subs and the 2 SH50s, provide all the dynamics I could wish for..

The above is configured in a 4/5 way 2 channel hifi.
I stream Qobuz with Sonore Ultrarendu into a high quality DIYaudio project offering that does the 4 way DSP / X/O / preamp, outputting to be 5 power amps.
This does all the timing, PEQs and X/Os needed for the 2 channel.

Question is how to get the DSP'd / PEQs / crossovered SH50s and subs integrated with the rears in an AV cinema setup?

Is there a DSP capable preamp / 5.1 unit or something that could split off the 5.1 to my existing DSP 2 channel system as left and right, and allow rear speakers and subs to get what they need?

Would also need to work as a hifi 2 channel 4 / 5 way set up.

That's my conundrum.

Whilst I'm very into 2 channel, I haven't used a 5.1 amp Yamaha surround receiver in 15 years!
We have Sonos system with rears in the lounge for cosy TV watching.

The cinema room would the hifi room but with a 6 to 8 seater in 2 rows with full Danley dynamics for family movie only watching.

All help and advice gratefully received.

Attachments

• 1713185934028.gif
    1713185934028.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 2

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing