AC Cable is there a difference in brands?

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
So is all 12/2, 10/2, etc. AC cable the same sonically?
Anyone ever compare brands?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Are you asking about the wire in your building or the removable kind hooked up to your gear?

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
AC wire, not PC's
Wire in the building....

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
The differences will be in the installation!
Many electricians & audiophiles don't follow best engineering practices.
In N. America, Romex® will be better than the common way that 3 wire and conduit is done.

AC power conductors don't have a given sound. The differences in sound that you hear are in how your equipment handles the challenges that the AC power gives them.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
What about JPS Labs ac cable? Does it really sound better?

I think Bruce has his studio wired with it...

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada

The important thing here is what you believe.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area

Pretty hard to do an A/B comparison of them unless you wire your room with both and listen.

Since power cords can make your system sound different, I would imagine different A/C lines can as well. Just never done a comparison of A/C lines.

Last edited:

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
The main thing I like about the JPS Aluminata is the shielding. You can take a voltage detector and go up and down the length of the cable and get nothing. Of course I have JPS everywhere, including in-wall out to the Equi=tech.
Equi=tech actually recommended JPS. You don't see that often!

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
The main thing I like about the JPS Aluminata is the shielding. You can take a voltage detector and go up and down the length of the cable and get nothing. Of course I have JPS everywhere, including in-wall out to the Equi=tech.
Equi=tech actually recommended JPS. You don't see that often!

Fyi..you can take a voltage detector to a $5 stock Chinese sourced PC and still get nothing.

Last edited:

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
I don't think that a NCVT (Non Contact Voltage Tester) is very sensitive to RFI.

True. If it was it would not be doing it's job. They are designed to detect the changing magnetic field around AC energized objects. I have not had good luck with those testers anyway. I prefer to use a volt meter to be sure the power is off.

Never the less a shielded cable will block RFI better than a non shielded cable. Which could be a problem with long runs like we find in house wiring.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
I installed #12 stranded 2/C with grd..shielded, terminating the shield wire on panel grd. At the front wall I terminated it on two Hubbell hospital grade duplexes. Does it sound better? Of course it does! ;) The cable is out there but sort of hard to find. Good luck with your search for the audio golden fleece!

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
True. If it was it would not be doing it's job. They are designed to detect the changing magnetic field around AC energized objects. I have not had good luck with those testers anyway. I prefer to use a volt meter to be sure the power is off.

Never the less a shielded cable will block RFI better than a non shielded cable. Which could be a problem with long runs like we find in house wiring.

Yeah and this becomes even more of a consideration when one considers that it has been proven house wiring acts as both an antenna and transmitter with regards to WLAN and other wireless broadcast technologies-wireless landlines-mobiles/wireless doorbells and similar products/etc.
The BBC (their technology research team-dept that are very knowledgeable and experienced) did a pretty in-depth analysis-study-report on this awhile back.
Not saying what is transmitted by house wiring is legible, but it adds to the complexity of interference considerations.

Cheers
Orb

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
I installed #12 stranded 2/C with grd..shielded, terminating the shield wire on panel grd. At the front wall I terminated it on two Hubbell hospital grade duplexes. Does it sound better? Of course it does! ;) The cable is out there but sort of hard to find. Good luck with your search for the audio golden fleece!

These two Hubbell HBL-8200HR receptacles have been in my systems since 1984 the grip is still as good as new, price paid back then $113.10 for a box of 10 installed many for friends, today the king is Furutech GTX D BUT back then the Hubbell HBL-8200 HR was a winner.

Hubbell     HBL-8200HR.JPG Furutech GTX D.Rodium. 3pc Kit $434.00.jpg Furutech GTX Duo = $345.00.jpg

Last edited:

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
Ham radio operatiors sometimes use these radio receivers when searching for RFI interference.
Notes from Ham forums:

If all you want is a noise sniffer, look at the Tecsun PL380. About $45 from amazon, and it's a very nice portable AM/FM RX.
For general purpose RFI DFing I like the Tecsun PL660SLV

I assume that the reason some prefer the Tecsun PL-380 is COST. That's
unfortunate because for $60 more (based on current Amazon.com prices) the
Tecsun PL-660SLV is a MUCH better choice for all around RFI hunting.

I have been using the TECSUN PL660SLV for over a year now and it has helped
me tremendously in locating low frequency RFI sources. The Tecsun receiver
is one tool in my arsenal.

Chuck Lee

Feb 5, 2015
The first time I ran dedicated lines I used Carol stranded copper water proof 10 gauge.

An electrician/audio friend said that 10gauge solid core romex would be better.

Was it?

Just trade offs as usual.

The Carol was darker sounding,the Romex was a bit more revealing.

I could live with either.

No real winner.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Thanks Chuck

That's the kind of feedback I am looking for

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing