A new star in 2019 : Innuos Statement Server

luca.pelliccioli

Aug 20, 2022
I already have a ZENith MK 3 and a PhoenixNET and was wondering (price a part) which better improvement may have between:

A) Adding a Pulsar to the actual ZENith MK 3 + PhoenixNET

B) Replacing the ZENith with a Statement (old one not next gen) + PhoenixNET

My system is all PS Audio, including a DAC DS (soon DS DAC MK II) which prefer I2S input that actually I provide with a Matrix SPDIF 2.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
My system is all PS Audio, including a DAC DS (soon DS DAC MK II) which prefer I2S input that actually I provide with a Matrix SPDIF 2.
My guess is that you’d gain a lot by making sure your DDC is on par with everything else. The clock and the power supply matter a lot there. When using a synchronous interface like I2S the clock in the DDC governs the digital conversion process. Your Matrix is playing a big role in what you hear.

Have a look at the photos of the insides of the various DDCs on the Denafrips website. I don’t know whether these can support PS Audio’s flavor or I2S but these seem to be more on par with the rest of your digital gear.

Reactions: luca.pelliccioli

luca.pelliccioli

Aug 20, 2022
My guess is that you’d gain a lot by making sure your DDC is on par with everything else. The clock and the power supply matter a lot there. When using a synchronous interface like I2S the clock in the DDC governs the digital conversion process. Your Matrix is playing a big role in what you hear.

Have a look at the photos of the insides of the various DDCs on the Denafrips website. I don’t know whether these can support PS Audio’s flavor or I2S but these seem to be more on par with the rest of your digital gear.
Inside PS Audio community there is a general consensus about Matrix ability to work better with DS DAC, especially using an AQ Dragon 48 HDMI cable.
I soon may abandon the Matrix or whatever DDC when PS Audio will launch the AirLens, its end point proprietary able to act as a galvanic isolator from a server/streamer (RJ45 input) to the DS DAC I - and upcoming MK II - (I2S output).
This is the reason why I’m focusing more on the server/streamer components at the moment.
Anyhow thank you for your advice.

Reactions: kennyb123

luca.pelliccioli

Aug 20, 2022
Just added the PhoenixUSB to my system. Wow! It really works!
PhoenixNET > ZENith MK 3 > PhoenixUSB > Matrix > DS DAC
Qobuz streaming via Sense App only.
After less than 2 hours of listening the most important thing I’m clearly noticing is engagement, I’m feeling in contact with the music.
It’s able to elevate the ZENith-DAC performance to a higher level.

I might describe some sonic improvements, but musicality and the way it makes me totally lost in music song after song is the surprising prevalent result now.

Soundstage is wider, very wider. Details, air and separation yes they are remarkably noticeable but delicacy and a never heard before decay are impressive improvements that make music so pleasant this night in my room. All seem so sweet, at the right place and sharp and soft at the same time. No effort in voices to knock the strings of my soul, treble and bass perfectly balanced and a very different presence, realism, naturalness. Simply wonderful.

Sometimes we expect improvements that unfortunately do not happen or are subtle, this time I was a bit skeptical keeping as low as possible my expectations and “wow” I’m really impressed! Highly recommended to all ZENith owners.

I’ve read about burning in time needed due to Mundorf caps in this unit, can’t imagine how this little toy can sound next days if just out of the box is bringing so much!

Too late here to play with different cables and testing the path with or without the Matrix in the chain. Tomorrow evening and during weekend time I will do some test, as soon as the Phoenix is better settled in.

I’m wondering how different the Statement might be, enjoying where I am now but dreaming about future next steps…

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Just added the PhoenixUSB to my system. Wow! It really works!
PhoenixNET > ZENith MK 3 > PhoenixUSB > Matrix > DS DAC
Qobuz streaming via Sense App only.
After less than 2 hours of listening the most important thing I’m clearly noticing is engagement, I’m feeling in contact with the music.
It’s able to elevate the ZENith-DAC performance to a higher level.

I might describe some sonic improvements, but musicality and the way it makes me totally lost in music song after song is the surprising prevalent result now.

Soundstage is wider, very wider. Details, air and separation yes they are remarkably noticeable but delicacy and a never heard before decay are impressive improvements that make music so pleasant this night in my room. All seem so sweet, at the right place and sharp and soft at the same time. No effort in voices to knock the strings of my soul, treble and bass perfectly balanced and a very different presence, realism, naturalness. Simply wonderful.

Sometimes we expect improvements that unfortunately do not happen or are subtle, this time I was a bit skeptical keeping as low as possible my expectations and “wow” I’m really impressed! Highly recommended to all ZENith owners.

I’ve read about burning in time needed due to Mundorf caps in this unit, can’t imagine how this little toy can sound next days if just out of the box is bringing so much!

Too late here to play with different cables and testing the path with or without the Matrix in the chain. Tomorrow evening and during weekend time I will do some test, as soon as the Phoenix is better settled in.

I’m wondering how different the Statement might be, enjoying where I am now but dreaming about future next steps…
Congrats! Please keep us informed of how the DAC improves over the next few weeks. What other DACs have you heard and how does this one compare to it?

luca.pelliccioli

Aug 20, 2022
Congrats! Please keep us informed of how the DAC improves over the next few weeks. What other DACs have you heard and how does this one compare to it?
Thank you Joe.

I‘m using the PS Audio DirectStream DAC since 2 years (my very first hi end DAC ever) and I will upgrade to upcoming MK II model as soon as it will be launched (october-november in US; later here in Italy I suppose).

The Innuos PhoenixUSB I’ve just bought and is now burning in, seems to work very well connected to my DAC‘s I2S input through the Matrix X SPDIF 2 (converting USB to I2S), curious to hear how it sounds without the Matrix (connecting it via USB directly to DAC).

My purpose is understanding how the 3 units PhoenixNET-ZENith MK 3-PhoenixUSB can bring to my system during next weeks. And if the Statement upgrade would be a big leap or just a step up.

Reactions: matthias and Audire

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Innuos support have come back to me. They have identified an issue with the update and the advice is not to update until they bring out a fix. Powering down and switching on again returns things to the normal 2.0.2 state.

Have you found the Innuos Sense app to be intuitive and easy to use?

Using Sense means that you do not need Roon, correct?

luca.pelliccioli

Aug 20, 2022
Hi Ron,

I was using Roon, that I find unbeatable for UI and search features. Now I prefer Sense App simply because it outperforms Roon in my system (Innuos+PS Audio) just considering SQ.
Sense is easy to use like Roon, very stable IME and basic features I need (I stream from Qobuz and rarely play files). Roon is better for searching music, so far. Sense is better to listen to music.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I wrote a review of Statement Nextgen and compared it to a non-Nextgen on a Hong Kong audiophile forum a few weeks ago.

Will try to translate it into English and share with WBF members in one or two days' time.
;)
Hi CKK, just checking in on this. Given that you own the Taiko Extreme, would you say even with the latest Statement Next-Gen, that Taiko Extreme remains your personal preference? Or might the new Innuos Statement have changed your ranking? Thanks for any insight.

I remain focused on CD playback given how well the entire Zanden 4-box goes together...but I originally bought the Zanden for its ability to receive multiple inputs into the DAC...and so nearly 14 years or so later, am only now starting to scratch the surface of a replacement. Given that the clock of the Zanden is in the Transport, it probably means the Innuos makes more sense (given its internal clocking)...unless we go Taiko plus a 3rd party clock as well.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hi CKK, just checking in on this. Given that you own the Taiko Extreme, would you say even with the latest Statement Next-Gen, that Taiko Extreme remains your personal preference? Or might the new Innuos Statement have changed your ranking? Thanks for any insight.

I remain focused on CD playback given how well the entire Zanden 4-box goes together...but I originally bought the Zanden for its ability to receive multiple inputs into the DAC...and so nearly 14 years or so later, am only now starting to scratch the surface of a replacement. Given that the clock of the Zanden is in the Transport, it probably means the Innuos makes more sense (given its internal clocking)...unless we go Taiko plus a 3rd party clock as well.
Hi LL21,
Similarly to you, I focus on sacd/cd playback until very recently, because my MSB Select combo is so good.
I don't think the Extreme Server can fully replace my MSB, they are complementary.
However, with the launch of the Extreme ethernet card & switch, it's too obvious that Extreme has great potential.
Emile is building a "Total Taiko/Extreme Habitat"!

Yes, the Extreme Server even without the coming ethernet card & switch, is my favorite CAS server.
Among all the second tier serves/streamers, I personally rate the Innuos Statement Nextgen the runner-up.

Cheers,
CK

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi LL21,
Similarly to you, I focus on sacd/cd playback until very recently, because my MSB Select combo is so good.
I don't think the Extreme Server can fully replace my MSB, they are complementary.
However, with the launch of the Extreme ethernet card & switch, it's too obvious that Extreme has great potential.

Yes, the Extreme Server even without the coming ethernet card & switch, is my favorite CAS server.
Among all the second tier serves/streamers, I personally rate the Innuos Statement Nextgen the runner-up.

Cheers,
CK
Thank you and noted! Seems like the Zanden's Transport is here to stay!

luca.pelliccioli

Aug 20, 2022
The Statement is in place!
image1920×1440 187 KB
After having already posted it on PS Audio forum, I’m reporting here below my first thoughts on the Statement Next Gen less than 250 hours since I introduced it in the chain. I know that this “creature” needs a long burning in process and even after 3 months can provide a final step up. Sorry I’m not so patient!

I prefer describing what I’m able to perceive by numbers more than by words.

The main comparison is between

BEFORE = PhoenixNET > ZENith MK 3 > PhoenixUSB > PS Audio DS MK I
and

NOW = PhoenixNET > Statement > PS Audio DS MK I
  • First (1) I went through the Matrix via I2S (Input #1) where I found the major improvements.
  • Secondly (2) I tried without the Matrix, directly connected via USB, where the improvements IME are subtle.
In both cases “+” stays for more or less improvements than Before, “=“ is for same as Before and “-“ is intuitively for more or less degradation than Before.

Statement1 (I2S)2 (USB)
White noise/Hum+=
Background+++++
Neutralness++=
Image precision+=
Soundstage depth==
Soundstage width+=
Separation++=
Voice+=
Highs==
Basses==
Presence++++
Transient==
Clarity+=
Airy++=
Detail+-1
Unveil++=
Realism++++
Calm++=
Control++++
Engagement++++

My system is shown on profile member, cables used are AQ Diamond USB and PinkFaun USB (all at once the Matrix didn’t like the PF so I continued only with the AQ) + AQ Dragon 48 HDMI. No fuses or tweaks added on the Statement, to create the better scenario to compare similarly the system Now vs Before.

To summarize and finding the main characteristics to share with you:

• sonically the black background is really impressive and able to radically change the sound
  • without any technical or audiophile words (I’m not qualified to use anyhow) the realism and the engagement that the Statement is able to bring is jaw dropping! I find myself crying literally, it means teardrops not figurative, more than one time. The ability to enter in deep contact with music and rising emotions from my soul is maybe the most important thing I want to report to better describe the Statement and this particular quality is the confirmation I spent well my money. Always IMHO.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Congrats! Sounds like a great improvement! In the medium-term consideration of digital servers, I have found the Innuos Statement Next Gen and the Taiko Extreme appear to be consistent players in the top end.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
After having already posted it on PS Audio forum, I’m reporting here below my first thoughts on the Statement Next Gen less than 250 hours since I introduced it in the chain. I know that this “creature” needs a long burning in process and even after 3 months can provide a final step up. Sorry I’m not so patient!

I prefer describing what I’m able to perceive by numbers more than by words.

The main comparison is between

and

• First (1) I went through the Matrix via I2S (Input #1) where I found the major improvements.
  • Secondly (2) I tried without the Matrix, directly connected via USB, where the improvements IME are subtle.
In both cases “+” stays for more or less improvements than Before, “=“ is for same as Before and “-“ is intuitively for more or less degradation than Before.

Statement1 (I2S)2 (USB)
White noise/Hum+=
Background+++++
Neutralness++=
Image precision+=
Soundstage depth==
Soundstage width+=
Separation++=
Voice+=
Highs==
Basses==
Presence++++
Transient==
Clarity+=
Airy++=
Detail+-1
Unveil++=
Realism++++
Calm++=
Control++++
Engagement++++

My system is shown on profile member, cables used are AQ Diamond USB and PinkFaun USB (all at once the Matrix didn’t like the PF so I continued only with the AQ) + AQ Dragon 48 HDMI. No fuses or tweaks added on the Statement, to create the better scenario to compare similarly the system Now vs Before.

To summarize and finding the main characteristics to share with you:

• sonically the black background is really impressive and able to radically change the sound
  • without any technical or audiophile words (I’m not qualified to use anyhow) the realism and the engagement that the Statement is able to bring is jaw dropping! I find myself crying literally, it means teardrops not figurative, more than one time. The ability to enter in deep contact with music and rising emotions from my soul is maybe the most important thing I want to report to better describe the Statement and this particular quality is the confirmation I spent well my money. Always IMHO.
Hi Luca,
Is your Matrix the X-spdif2 or X-spdif3 ?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi LL21,

Cheers,
CK
Do you have any views on the Wadax Reference Server by any chance? I imagine it is best suited for its own matching Reference DAC...but I am curious if it is a true reference with respect to other DACs in the way the Taiko and Innuos are.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
T
Do you have any views on the Wadax Reference Server by any chance? I imagine it is best suited for its own matching Reference DAC...but I am curious if it is a true reference with respect to other DACs in the way the Taiko and Innuos are.
The Wadax Ref Server is a few times more expensive than the Extreme or Statement Nextgen, and even more so if adding their optional external Reference PSU.

However I listened to it only twice and both were not a detailed evaluation audition.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
T

The Wadax Ref Server is a few times more expensive than the Extreme or Statement Nextgen, and even more so if adding their optional external Reference PSU.

However I listened to it only twice and both were not a detailed evaluation audition.
Thank you! Yes, without doubt. Its both a question about REPLACING a Zanden Transport AND also removing 3,000 CDs of storage in the house...but ALSO perhaps a medium-term prelude to going 'up' to the Reference DAC some day.

luca.pelliccioli

Aug 20, 2022
Hi Luca,
Is your Matrix the X-spdif2 or X-spdif3 ?
Hi, it is the Matrix 2 and I had some trouble because feeding the Statement it seems that the Matrix all at once doesn’t like the Pink Faun USB anymore. I used it for 5 days without problems (and I found the SQ excellent), now the Matrix doesn’t work with it, the light on the Matrix is off even if I turn off the Statement, the DAC or if I plug and unplug the USB cable.

it happened after I switched (to do the comparisons above) from Matrix I2S to DS DAC USB and wanted to come back to Matrix I2S path.

it’s very odd because:
- the Pink Faun USB cable works instantly if I exclude the Matrix, it means from Statement to PS DAC directly
- the Matrix instantly turns on if I connect another USB cable, like the AQ Diamond

The Matrix has no linear power supply, and never wanted one, so it works just with 5V USB.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hi, it is the Matrix 2 and I had some trouble because feeding the Statement it seems that the Matrix all at once doesn’t like the Pink Faun USB anymore. I used it for 5 days without problems (and I found the SQ excellent), now the Matrix doesn’t work with it, the light on the Matrix is off even if I turn off the Statement, the DAC or if I plug and unplug the USB cable.

it happened after I switched (to do the comparisons above) from Matrix I2S to DS DAC USB and wanted to come back to Matrix I2S path.

it’s very odd because:
- the Pink Faun USB cable works instantly if I exclude the Matrix, it means from Statement to PS DAC directly
- the Matrix instantly turns on if I connect another USB cable, like the AQ Diamond

The Matrix has no linear power supply, and never wanted one, so it works just with 5V USB.
This can be due to the Pink Faun usb cable doesn't follow the usb cable impedance standard of 90ohm.

I entered similar cases before. Many of the audiophile usb cables have their own tunings and don't follow the standard.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing