A double basses recording tape relesased

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Hi
To who has very good low frequency reproduce system and can play 15ips tape, we just released a double basses with cello and double basses with piano recording. Jeffrey Beecher is the principal double basses of TSO, also play with YO YO Ma in Silkroad Ensemble, the cello in this recording was Stradivari ( wonderful sounding ) in this tape that you can enjoy those detail from your sub of strings' sound in their weekly ending (hi fi sub is not working for earth quake effect like in AV system, it is for a clean and detail sound in a very extented low and week frequency signal). more info from ultraanaloguerecordings.com
tony ma

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
Sounds great Tony!

Bruce

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Hi Tony, just ordered it! Larry

Joe Galbraith

Senior Member/Sponsor
Apr 22, 2010
www.arsetmusica.com
Thanks! Just placed my order for it.

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Hi Joe
Tank you very much too, we would like to hear how it sound in your system after , because wo do believe good system can get more informations from a master dud so different system will have a different resuite
enjoy
tony ma

Joe Galbraith

Senior Member/Sponsor
Apr 22, 2010
www.arsetmusica.com
I got the tape yesterday. OH MY!! I listened to it three times last night, and thought I should stand up and wipe the bow rosin from my clothes. A palpable 3D sound stage that feels like you could walk around and behind each of the musicians. I am a Tape Project charter member, and this was my first UltraAnalogue purchase, but it was not my last! If you are on the fence about this release, and are a fan of chamber music, buy this one today!

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Hi Joe
Thank you again, it is nice that you like it, so far in our recordings my favor is still Xiang & Eldon's violin encores. they played Meditation compared to the famous Micheal Rabin's Magic Bow by Capital's vinyl (worth more than $400 today), master dud still has the advantage of emotional and for Shindler's list, I can't find any others can play better than this in emotion, even Xiang listened to the master tape again after one year later of recording, he also wondered he can play so well at that time, so many conditions will effect to the quality of recording like temperature, weather,instrument, system's tubes condition, player's emotion etc. also by some little luck too. Xiang had another record of Meditation with Evan few months later with different violin, Ed like this one better but I still like the the first one more, you can judge by yourself with those two tapes to see which one you like better ( am I doing the sells ?)
ton ma

Joe Galbraith

Senior Member/Sponsor
Apr 22, 2010
www.arsetmusica.com
Hi Joe
Thank you again, it is nice that you like it, so far in our recordings my favor is still Xiang & Eldon's violin encores. they played Meditation compared to the famous Micheal Rabin's Magic Bow by Capital's vinyl (worth more than $400 today), master dud still has the advantage of emotional and for Shindler's list, I can't find any others can play better than this in emotion, even Xiang listened to the master tape again after one year later of recording, he also wondered he can play so well at that time, so many conditions will effect to the quality of recording like temperature, weather,instrument, system's tubes condition, player's emotion etc. also by some little luck too. Xiang had another record of Meditation with Evan few months later with different violin, Ed like this one better but I still like the the first one more, you can judge by yourself with those two tapes to see which one you like better ( am I doing the sells ?)
ton ma

Hi Tony -

you are doing just fine with sales! What better recommendation could I ask for? I'll be placing my order for those soon. Last night, I sat in the audience for a session recorded by Naxos of the Paul Moravec Violin Concerto with Symphony in C, soloist was Maria Bachmann. It was multimiked, but the initial raw playback really captured what I heard from the center of the hall. Of course I am a little biased toward that orchestra as I am a member of the Board of Directors.

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Thanks Tony, I just ordered this one as well.
Cheers
Graham
Hi Graham
Thank you for ordering, you replied five posts in one shot ! I keep most of my tape in face out because now I use the Telefunkun most , beside Telefunkun in working condition deck have Studer A810 (early modified with tube mu stage output) and Revox PR99 (replaced coupling only), all the A80 machine are in Ed's house for recording and copying . I am working on a new idea of all tube preamp for tape head and RIAA with new type transformer call Tri C core for coupling and in passive EQ. M15A has speed control fast F/R that is quite safe for tape but I did most of them just twisted after the supply reel in playing and keep it in there till to twist again for other machine use.
By the way which output level of tape are you order ? if your machine can adjust the output level ( no problem of A80 or M15A) you should pick the 396nWb/m, just tune to 0db with our 1K test tone in tape (4db down) better noise level and dynamic range you will have, also we would like to have some feed back how they sound in your system too or about the performance and the timbre of instruments (they are all antique with name and year, detail in our website)
enjoy
tony ma

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I got a chance to listen to the tape this weekend (as well as three others that I had ordered and one short selection that Ed sent as a bonus). Besides having the sense of total realism of the double bass and cello (and piano in the Gliere), the pieces are a lot of fun and not to be found in the standard or even unusual repertoire. We had the pleasure to hear a double bass live in our home last fall. Members of the San Francisco Symphony played the Schubert Trout Quintet which is one of the only popular chamber pieces (maybe the only one) that has a double bass. Ed has also recently (more recently than the double bass recording) released a recording of the Bach Cello Suite 6, with the very talented Sieste-Jan Weijenberg. I also got a magnificent recording of the Brahms Cello Sonata 1 with Sieste-Jan in this most recent order. I have not found a bad tape in the 10 or so that I have ordered from UltraAnalogue.

If your system can handle it, I would second Tony's comments about ordering the high output recordings. Ed and Tony also prefer NAB EQ to CCIR which most folks are using for their 15ips 2 track releases (like Tape Project and Opus 3). Since my tape preamp does both NAB and CCIR, I did the NAB. I just have to remember to switch the EQ!

Larry

gamve

Feb 9, 2013
Launceston, Tasmania, Australia
Received my 3 tapes this afternoon from Edward. All I can say this is the very start of my collection from Ultra Analogue. All three tapes are stunning in both content and production. Sound quality was beyond my expectation with beautiful natural sounding timbers that had goosebumps and the hair on the back of my neck doing weird things :)
Emotional content in the performances was transferred with breathtaking clarity and dynamics that IMHO only comes from quality tape playback. Was thrilled to see these delivered to Australia in under two weeks from placing my order. Now to scrounge up some more cash for some more titles.

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Received my 3 tapes this afternoon from Edward. All I can say this is the very start of my collection from Ultra Analogue. All three tapes are stunning in both content and production. Sound quality was beyond my expectation with beautiful natural sounding timbers that had goosebumps and the hair on the back of my neck doing weird things :)
Emotional content in the performances was transferred with breathtaking clarity and dynamics that IMHO only comes from quality tape playback. Was thrilled to see these delivered to Australia in under two weeks from placing my order. Now to scrounge up some more cash for some more titles.
The two Meditations by Xiang Yu, which one do you like better ?
tony ma

gamve

Feb 9, 2013
Launceston, Tasmania, Australia
The two Meditations by Xiang Yu, which one do you like better ?
tony ma

Hi Tony,
I was pretty in awe with both versions to be honest but I only listened to each tape once so far.
I think I will need a bit of time with each before deciding the version of Meditations I like best.
Thanks for the recommendations. I will have another good listen next week as I am away for a while
interstate then I will email Edward with my impressions. Edward sent me a couple of CD's which I am
listening to right now, Lee Yun-Yang & Sietse-Jan Weijenberg. Only heard the beethoven so far but
this also sounds very pleasing
Cheers
Graham

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Hello tony /ed just ordered 4 of your tapes , if i like them i ll order the double basses as well , i ordered them in NAB , which you prefer i read , i have studer with both cards

Greetings H -J

Last edited:

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Thank you very much for ordering and hope you will enjoy them,your record card is set for SM900, that is the bias of recording means you are using 396 nWb/m (high output) for recording, in play back card, the setting will depend on the test tape's output level, ( no special kind of tape even SM900 can record in 250nWb/m level) if the signal of the test tape is in 250 nWb/m (1K hz) then meter will show at 0db on 250nWb/m setting, if you turn it down to -4db from 0db in the same signal, that setting is good for high output repro, or using our test tone in the beginning of each our tape and adjust the meter to 0db will be in a same result
regard
tony ma

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing