A Day at Chez Williams

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I spent Sunday afternoon at our esteemed Dr. Williams house and he had a good 4 hour listening session.

Let me say that Steve and his wife are amazingly hospitable, and amazing hosts. They have a beautiful
home.

Steve started out by giving the basic tour, then he played me a few of his favorite cuts. Immediately, I knew
his Lamm/Wilson/PBD/Studer/Nordost/Supra system was something very special.

We then put on a CD-R of tracks we prepared specifically to listen to on the system.

I won't leave you in suspense: the sound I experienced was one of the most balanced, engaging, life
like, realistic, and musical presentations I have ever heard since being involved in the hobby.

After four solid hours. at very realistic SPL's, there was not a hint of listener fatigue. In fact I could have
gone another 3 hours.

I also brought several SACDs, including the Moody Blues: In Search of the Lost Chord, a native DSD recording
of Symphonic Dances, and Shelby Lynne's Just A Little Lovin'. The sounded the best I have ever heard them.
Steve also put on the SACD of Cat Stevens Tea For The Tillerman.

I found my self amazed at the tube magic the Lamms were producing, and how the X-2's were capable of such delicacy,
AND power.These are world class transducers folks. I felt emotionally and physically connected to the music.

We also switched the subs on and off, and I felt without the subs there was a bit more precision, BUT..with the subs,
there was that last degree of OOOMPH in the gut. Mind you, the subs, are still not perfectly dialed in.

Last but not least, I brought a laptop with Jriver, the MyTek DAC, a DH Labs USB cable, and the Eagles 192 Khz remasters.
Steve heard some cuts from Hotel California.

Then Steve pulled out his secret weapon, a Tape Project reel of a violin concerto that just blew us away. Period.

Having a full day to reflect, I don't see any where you can improve the system to any large degree. MAYBE, just MAYBE, if
Steve decided to run single ended IC's from preamp to amp, instead of pseudo balanced, that might give a 1 or 2 percent improvement. Lastly, MAYBE, just MAYBE a world class active power conditioner might again bring that last 2%.

The system will appeal to those who treasure, body, holographic imaging, and lifelike weight. It might not appeal to those who prefer a clinical, razor sharp, and unrelenting presentation.

I will repeat, the work Steve has done is awe inspiring, and no stone was left unturned.

For reference, the CD-R contents were:
Salif Keita: Bolon
Salif Keita: La Difference
Salif Keita: Madan
Rokia Traore: J'taime
Peter Gabriel: San Jacinto (New Blood version)
Peter Gabriel: Red Rain (New Blood Version)
Seal: Bring It On Acoustic Version
Seal: Crazy Acoustic Version
Ray Lamontagne: Beg, Steal or Borrow
Ray Lamontagne: This Love Is Over
Ray Lamontagne: You Can Bring Me Flowers
Lisa Hannigan: What'll I Do
Loreena McKennit: Mummers Dance
Robert Plant: If I Were A Carpenter
Tim Buckley: Dream Letter (Works In Progress Version)
Tom Jones: A Taste Of Honey

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Bravo Steve and Andre :D
Look forward to experiencing Steve's system...first-hand ;)

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Nice review , and what about the image height you were weiry off ???

I was not weary of large image height. Larger than life imaging is par for the course for very big speakers, just as
the miniaturization of images is generally what you get with mini monitors.

Imaging size is a preference, it is neither right or wrong either way you go. Although one could
argue that a sonic image that does not reflect the real dimensions of the instrument or voice at hand
then it deviates from realism.

All that being said, this was NOT an issue at Steve's. I believe this is because of the magnificent room.
You really have to see it for you self to understand just how much attention to detail there is!:D

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Once again, I am thrilled that you did not listen to me at Christmas. It sounds like you got what you set out to do. Still curious about what some Shunyata power conditioning would do?

Congratulations.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Once again, I am thrilled that you did not listen to me at Christmas. It sounds like you got what you set out to do. Still curious about what some Shunyata power conditioning would do?

Congratulations.

Personally, I am partial the Audience aDeptResponse series. Simply the most transparent conditioner I have personally heard.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
So how did your digital rig you brought to Steve's house sound compared to his rig?

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
So how did your digital rig you brought to Steve's house sound compared to his rig?

It really not possible to compare. We only listened to a few 192 Khz Eagles tracks via the lapto/MyTek. Not for any other reason
that Steve has so many great CDs and SACDs, and my very favorite reference tracks are on SACD and CD as well. We ran out of time.

Unfortunately, the Playback Designs unit requires an optional external device for USB connection which Steve does not own so
no comparison was possible there either.

I can tell you the PBD unit as a CD/SACD player is absolutely SOTA. Remarkable sounding component.

I can tell you from my personal experience, the MyTek sounds far superior via its USB input then through its SPDIF inputs. It sounds
rather excellent via USB actually.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I spent Sunday afternoon at our esteemed Dr. Williams house and he had a good 4 hour listening session. (...)

Very nice post, many thanks for these first impressions on Steve room, Andre. The Hindemith tape is really fantastic!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Very nice post, many thanks for these first impressions on Steve room, Andre. The Hindemith tape is really fantastic!

And so is the original LP if you're willing to pay $700+ :) Makes the tape seem cheap by comparison.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
And so is the original LP if you're willing to pay $700+ :) Makes the tape seem cheap by comparison.

Do you know how it compares with the 180g reissue?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Never compared it. I only have the later Decca Ace of Diamonds that is a reasonable facsmile but really loses the sense of space and harmonics. Only person I know who had and whose copy I heard was Sid Marks. :)

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010

funny you should ask that question.

a few years ago we were having a local audio club meeting at my room and we played the Speaker's Corner 180 gram reissue of that Hindsmith piece on the Rockport tt as well as the Tape Project 15ips tape thru the Studer A820-King Cello. most of the listeners preferred the Lp in that specific case. we played other combo's of Tape Project tapes and Lps and the Tapes were preferred.

it's a case where the Lp reissue is exceptional, not that the tape is not really good.

i've had the Lp for maybe 12-13 years and always enjoyed it.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com

a few years ago we were having a local audio club meeting at my room and we played the Speaker's Corner 180 gram reissue of that Hindsmith piece on the Rockport tt as well as the Tape Project 15ips tape thru the Studer A820-King Cello. most of the listeners preferred the Lp in that specific case. we played other combo's of Tape Project tapes and Lps and the Tapes were preferred.

it's a case where the Lp reissue is exceptional, not that the tape is not really good.

Interesting. I find it odd when some listeners assume that one format will be superior to another based on
some inherent mystical quality.

The recording and mastering trump formats in my opinion. :D

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Are we talking about this album? Product_SXL6035.jpg

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing