9N silver by acapella

dzdzdzln

Oct 14, 2017
235933tkbbvvkubnnccu2x.jpg

Chinese agent claims the Acapella cable is 9N Silver cable?then I asked the Acapella.

Hermann Winters replied me that 9N silver it is true.The cable is processed by Degussa Germany.

I'm surprised by this ‘truth’

dzdzdzln

Oct 14, 2017
Few metallurgists would acknowledge the existence of silver purer than 4N in oxygenated air.

I can trust some factory can use 5N (japan oyaide) or 7N(Neotech ) mathod to make silver cable?maybe the cable is 4N last.
But I can't trust 9N

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
The wire must be processed in an inert gas atmosphere to achieve anything over 4N.

There is a BIG difference is sound going from 4N to 5N to UPOCC silver. I don't consider 4N silver a good conductor for audio use, UPOCC copper is better.

9N probably isn't measurable, but a theoretical... and unless it's continuous cast it'll have grain boundaries that will impact it's performance.

Reactions: dzdzdzln

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I think Mitsubishi is one of the major companies touting 6N or better, Acrolink has posted exact content of impurities, etc. The Ohno Continuous Casting Process patents describe the casting of 6N purity metals in inert gas atmosphere, etc. so I think that's proven, but once exposed to oxygen it will immediately corrode where exposed, but the rest of the insulated wire should be sealed from the atmosphere. This is also why I question cables made with textile dielectrics that allow exposure to air, it's a cable that will corrode over time and probably sounds worse and worse as time goes by... But imo purity makes a big difference, and 6N UPOCC metals are several percent more conductive on the IACS scale, this is an easily measurable difference and the difference in sound quality when used in audio systems is very obvious.

I think where high purity is often thought of as impossible is in the context of traditionally drawn wire, where the metal is repeatedly drawn through dies without necessarily being protected from oxygen by an inert gas shield.

High purity, 6N+, has also been impossible to confirm with conventional measurements but I believe the latest mass spectronomy techniques can indeed measure past 6N now.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
This is also why I question cables made with textile dielectrics that allow exposure to air, it's a cable that will corrode over time and probably sounds worse and worse as time goes by...

Why do you limit the concern to textile dielectrics? Teflon isn't air tight either.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Why do you limit the concern to textile dielectrics? Teflon isn't air tight either.

It is. You can remove teflon from wire after years and it's not oxidized.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Hmm, that is surprising. Either way, I would think silver oxide conducts well and may not have an effect on sonics like copper oxide likely would, being a semiconductor of sorts.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Hmm, that is surprising. Either way, I would think silver oxide conducts well and may not have an effect on sonics like copper oxide likely would, being a semiconductor of sorts.

Not sure why it's surprising, that's exactly what electrical insulation is supposed to do, besides preventing the electrons from leaking I guess... :)

Silver doesn't just form silver oxide, there is also silver sulfide and it creates a black coating on silver.

It's possible to hear the difference between teflon and PE and PVC insulation, having a corrosive layer over your 6N+ UPOCC silver seems like a bad idea, and it's only going to get worse over time.

analogsa, you posted a few seconds before me. ;)

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
99.9% and 99.9999 to infinity is still only 99.9%:)! This is all marketing nonsense by the metal producers, they're buying what Degussa is currently manufacturing. Infinitesimal amounts of supposed purity has no effect on sound either nor can anyone guarantee that 99.9% pure will sound superior to a conductor of even 95% purity. Sadly this irrelevant data has become high-end lore.

david

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing