90% of Reproduced Sound Quality Comes From . . .

mmakshak

May 1, 2011
S.F. Bay Area
The source

I know this is probably the wrong place to post this, but you wouldn't believe how the speakers sound changed between 3 different battery packs to power my pre/dac(which is meant to be plugged into the wall). That is one reason why I believe in the source first. The sound from the speakers changed tremendously.

Paul Spencer

Oct 4, 2010
The problem is that modest electronics can’t be “correctly and fully sorted out” because:

A. No one knows what the hell that really means.
B. Modest electronics will sound modest becaused they were designed to sound modest.

Taking a cheap amp and soldering the power cord to the wall socket and well as soldering the speaker cables directly to the output devices won’t change the intrinsic quality of the amplifier.

A. I think it's much more likely that you don't know what that means, not that no one does. If we consider the complete body of knowledge in the audio field, then a very good system could be put together with a relatively modest investment in electronics and a not quite so modest investment in speakers and the room. The problem is not so much that our knowledge is flawed, but that most of what is known is often not used, or not well used. There is also a great deal that does not filter down into the understanding of the average enthusiast.

B. I can't agree. I think it's fair to say that modest electronics are designed to be as good as possible for the price. Do they deliberately dumb things down where they could make the modest electronics better? I doubt it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing