8-Year-Old Never Ages, Could Reveal 'Biological Immortality'

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Anyone ever see the movie Benjamin Button with Brad Pitt....

By SUSAN DONALDSON JAMES | Good Morning America

Gabby Williams has the facial features and skin of a newborn, and she is just as dependent. Her mother feeds, diapers and cradles her tiny frame as she did the day she was born.
The little girl from Billings, Mont., is 8 years old, but weighs only 11 pounds. Gabby has a mysterious condition, shared by only a handful of others in the world, that slows her rate of aging.
For the past two years, a doctor who has been trying to find the genetic off-switch to stop the aging process has been studying Gabby, as well as two other people who have striking similarities.........

http://gma.yahoo.com/8-old-11-pounds-never-ages-040317717--abc-news-health.html

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
The case of the "supertelomers"

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
So I have a question Steve :) Why do these researchers think this example will reveal the fountain of youth any more than a disease such as progeria?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progeria

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Actually it's accelerated aging :) It's not unlike cancer: there are genes for cell growth and cell death. If one can figure out what causes the aging, shouldn't that be a master key to the system?

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
Actually it's accelerated aging :) It's not unlike cancer: there are genes for cell growth and cell death. If one can figure out what causes the aging, shouldn't that be a master key to the system?

If they can figure out why my mind is still nineteen, but my body is sixty-two, that should go a long way toward finding the key! :D

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
If they can figure out why my mind is still nineteen, but my body is sixty-two, that should go a long way toward finding the key! :D

You and me both :)

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

I know exactly what progeria is Myles. I treated a kid with progeria way back as an intern doing a Pediatric rotation

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I know exactly what progeria is Myles. I treated a kid with progeria way back as an intern doing a Pediatric rotation

Steve that's interesting and rare to have seen but that wasn't the question? I expected that being a doctor you would know; however it's still not clear what additional info is to be gained or is this simply an advertorial to get a research grant? Or is it a look at positive and negative feedback control on aging?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing