50 years of Hip Hop

Don_Camillo

Jun 26, 2022
Vienna
tempo333.blogspot.com
I want to remember the end of summer vacation five decades ago and Clive Campbell. It was August 11, 1973 when Clive's sister threw a party in the Bronx at the end of their summer vacation there; Clive aka Kool DJ Herc DJed there all evening. In the Bronx they called it a block party back than.

What was different from other parties? Kool DJ Herc played funk songs, but kept repeating the breaks on two turntables and thus made a continuous loop out of the short sequences - in American it's called Merry Go Round and in German the translation Karussell is probably the best. Kool DJ Herc and his friend Coke La Rock, who had fueled the party with rhymes, greetings and announcements spoken into the mic, had made a name for themselves after that first party and were soon playing block parties in the park with big speakers, the amps running from the tapped street lamps and hip hop was born. The day after tomorrow marks the 50th anniversary of this event. Hallelujah :afro:

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Thank you for this!

Between this movement and the masters of tape manipulation in the dub movement you define a lot. ')

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
interesting stuff. historical even. not a hip hop fan but like it occasionally and respect it as an art form.

only negative on the graffiti tagging component. if i never see another one i'm good with that.

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
only negative on the graffiti tagging component. if i never see another one i'm good with that.
...amen to that. They are freakin tagging old trees in the park up here. I call bullsh*t on that. Buy a pen-knife for chrissakes. But really, not everyone is Bansky.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
It's dubious to be into any graffiti, but at least some cities have actual artistic work. Here in Seattle it's all lame tags...

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I want to remember the end of summer vacation five decades ago and Clive Campbell. It was August 11, 1973 when Clive's sister threw a party in the Bronx at the end of their summer vacation there; Clive aka Kool DJ Herc DJed there all evening. In the Bronx they called it a block party back than.

What was different from other parties? Kool DJ Herc played funk songs, but kept repeating the breaks on two turntables and thus made a continuous loop out of the short sequences - in American it's called Merry Go Round and in German the translation Karussell is probably the best. Kool DJ Herc and his friend Coke La Rock, who had fueled the party with rhymes, greetings and announcements spoken into the mic, had made a name for themselves after that first party and were soon playing block parties in the park with big speakers, the amps running from the tapped street lamps and hip hop was born. The day after tomorrow marks the 50th anniversary of this event. Hallelujah :afro:

Thank you for posting this. Very interesting!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing