50 Hz Solid-State Amplifiers Powered By 60 Hz AC?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I have been researching AC line frequency and high-end audio solid-state amplifiers.

The question is: is there any problem or issue (electrical, sonic, thermal, safety, etc.) whatsoever with feeding a 60 Hz AC line frequency to a solid-state amplifier designed to operate at an AC line frequency of 50 Hz? (Obviously the amplifier designed for 50 Hz must be fed the AC voltage for which it was designed.)

The answer seems to be that the steel core of a transformer designed for 60 Hz AC which is powered by 50 Hz AC can be saturated and draw excessive current and the transformer can overheat. However, a transformer designed for 50Hz AC which is powered by 60Hz AC experiences reduced idle current and actually runs a littler cooler when powered by 60 Hz AC.

So, my tentative conclusion is that there is no problem whatsoever powering a solid-state amplifier designed for 50 Hz mains with 60 Hz AC.

Do you agree?

Thank you.

spazmatron

Banned
Dec 4, 2015
Somerset, uk
you should be in profit here so to speak, problems come the other way..

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
One unfortunate frequent issue when using power transformers designed for 60 Hz with 50 Hz is mechanical hum, that can be very disagreeable. When operated at the higher magnetic flux due to the 50 Hz transformers heat more and can exhibit resonances that could not be detected at the manufacturer tests. I have inquired several US high-end manufacturers who told me that they were not able to test their gear at 50 Hz.

Unfortunately the recent PS Audio power regenerators (P10 and P5) do not have the capability of generating 230V 60Hz - the older ones could and were very useful.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hi Microstrip,

So do you agree there is no problem whatsoever powering with 60 Hz AC a solid-state amplifier designed for 50 Hz mains?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Yes; I would be powering the European equipment designed for 50 Hz with 240 VAC.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hi Microstrip,

So do you agree there is no problem whatsoever powering with 60 Hz AC a solid-state amplifier designed for 50 Hz mains?

Yes, you should have no problems - in principle you will have the best of both power conditions - higher voltage, reducing current in the primaries and power lines, and an higher frequency, that reduces maximum flux in transformers, making them more efficient. Also ripple voltage in the power supplies is a little lower at 60 Hz, a good thing, although I doubt this has any effect in sound quality.

BTW, AFAIK the US 240V is intrinsically balanced - another positive aspect.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Yes, almost all US homes have 240V available for appliances.

I'm curious and a little puzzled as I had assumed that it was almost exclusively 110 volt supply in the USA.
Would you mind describing the position in the US more fully please if only to satisfy my curiosity, though I am sure others would be interested.

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
It hasn't been 110V in over a half century. Then the typical line voltage moved to 115V then quickly to 117V and on to 120V. But now it's heading towards 125V. All new parts and pieces have a 125V rating.
But almost all homes have a 240V (for now) center tapped single phase supply. The center tap provides two 120V legs or poles. Which are often mislabeled phases just to add to the confusion. The 240V is for the major appliances, heating & cooling, hot water and clothes drying. Most everything else is on 120V.

Note that legacy hi-fi equipment designed for 110V may have unhappy power transformers when connected to 240V.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Thanks Speedskater.
I guess it would be something of an upheaval to move to 240 volts like the rest of the world (or most of it) but it would be good to have a common global voltage.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, gentlemen.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing