2024 Academy Awards Nominations

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Still have yet to see American Fiction, should be on Prime soon. Trailer looks great.

I really hope this is Nolan’s year. He so deserves the recognition.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Still have yet to see American Fiction, should be on Prime soon. Trailer looks great.

even though I cannot cozy up to the movie I believe it will be the big winner this year.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
After watching “Killers Of The Flower Moon” I am surprised that DeNiro received a nomination and DiCaprio did not. I realize they were up for different categories but I didn’t think DeNiro’s performance was anything special. I thought DiCaprio was great.

Lily Gladstone was also very good but Sandra Huller was much better in her role.

Reactions: adamaley

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan

We saw American Fiction last wee. Must say I was a bit disappointed. Seems it was having a hard time figuring out how serious or comedic it was going to be. The overall theme was great but probably could have better executed. Jeffery Wright was excellent.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
After watching “Killers Of The Flower Moon” I am surprised that DeNiro received a nomination and DiCaprio did not. I realize they were up for different categories but I didn’t think DeNiro’s performance was anything special. I thought DiCaprio was great.

Lily Gladstone was also very good but Sandra Huller was much better in her role.
Funny how subjective things are. The only performance I thought was interesting was DeNiros. The movie was interesting, but like all of his movies lately, he needs an editor.

Reactions: KeithR

Kenc

Jan 3, 2019
Toronto, Canada
I thought American Fiction was clever, entertaining and thought provoking but not best picture material.
I saw all of the nominees this year except for the Zone of Interest. My nod would go to Maestro but I
am usually at odds with the powers that be....

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Funny how subjective things are. The only performance I thought was interesting was DeNiros. The movie was interesting, but like all of his movies lately, he needs an editor.
Agree on an editor. It was honestly a simple murder mystery.

Republicoftexas69

I feel Martin missed on this one, The book was fantastic and for the most part Scorsese's film adaptations relate the stories well in cellulose. This was a swing and a miss. IMHO, Yes DeNiros performance was good as was Leo's. Truly the hero and most overlooked character was Tom White in this film.

Reactions: jazdoc and jeff1225

Republicoftexas69

Agree on an editor. It was honestly a simple murder mystery.
One would think but it involved the entire community....not that simple.

Republicoftexas69

Simple? Native American women being swindled by whites marrying them, having kids with them, and then killing them for the money? It’s so fantastical that if you presented it as a fictional story I’d call it too far fetched.
Was not only the women plenty of men and taking life insurance policies on them and then poisoning or shooting them. Truly a story of the white mans greed and depraved indifference to human life. The Osage Indians were smart but powerless.

Reactions: Leekg and jeff1225

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Simple? Native American women being swindled by whites marrying them, having kids with them, and then killing them for the money? It’s so fantastical that if you presented it as a fictional story I’d call it too far fetched.
That still doesn’t need 3.5 hours. I read the book before seeing the movie - didn’t take much longer. It’s ~270 pages as the third part wasn’t used. And Hale wasn’t the only villain either.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
That still doesn’t need 3.5 hours. I read the book before seeing the movie - didn’t take much longer. It’s ~270 pages as the third part wasn’t used. And Hale wasn’t the only villain either.
The book is 416 pages, I have it. Where are you getting the 270 number from?

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
It's been a slow thread considering the Oscars are 4 days away. Maybe its because the outcomes appear pre-determined at this point.

I saw Poor Things last night and although it is a sumptuously visual, well-directed movie, with a ton of talent, it couldn't end fast enough for me. I'll say this, however. Emma Stone's acting makes Lily Gladstone's fine effort look like she was acting in a high school play by comparison. I can't imagine why Gladstone is the favorite although one has to wonder if DEI-oriented Hollywood is the reason why? Not only was Stone incredible, but it took the balls of Godzilla do perform some of those nude scenes. (I hope her parents weren't watching). Mark Ruffalo was also superb but let's get real. He has no chance going up against Robt. Downey Jr. Nor does anyone else in this outstanding group (except for Gosling, who should never have been nominated IMHO.). But if anybody else other than Gosling won, I wouldn't be disappointed. My guess is it's Oppenheimer and Nolan's year.

Reactions: jazdoc

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
It's been a slow thread considering the Oscars are 4 days away. Maybe its because the outcomes appear pre-determined at this point.

I saw Poor Things last night and although it is a sumptuously visual, well-directed movie, with a ton of talent, it couldn't end fast enough for me. I'll say this, however. Emma Stone's acting makes Lily Gladstone's fine effort look like she was acting in a high school play by comparison. I can't imagine why Gladstone is the favorite although one has to wonder if DEI-oriented Hollywood is the reason why? Not only was Stone incredible, but it took the balls of Godzilla do perform some of those nude scenes. (I hope her parents weren't watching). Mark Ruffalo was also superb but let's get real. He has no chance going up against Robt. Downey Jr. Nor does anyone else in this outstanding group (except for Gosling, who should never have been nominated IMHO.). But if anybody else other than Gosling won, I wouldn't be disappointed. My guess is it's Oppenheimer and Nolan's year.
Agree with your take on "Poor Things"...well directed, great acting, superb sets and choreography but the story is pure decadence.

I've seen all the best picture nominees and agree it's going to be a sweep by Oppenheimer, but I'd be happy if "Past LIves" and Colman Domingo got some love.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I hope both Past Lives and Anatomy of a Fall get recognition.

Reactions: Steve Williams

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
We watched a bunch of Oscar nominated shorts. This outstanding documentary was our favorite:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing