2018 Oscar Nominations-And the Oscar Goes To..........

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
After seeing most of the nominees,

Best Picture- Shape of Water; 3 Billboards is too controversial now

Controversial in what way and why would that disqualify it for being best picture?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I liked Shape if Water but in the end it just wasn’t best picture. For me Best Picture was I Tonya. Failing that I am going with Three Billboards as Best Picture

Steve, I would put Shape of Water behind I, Tonya and 3 Billboards as well. I enjoyed it but I didn’t think it had any depth other than it being an unusual love story. Shannon stole the show.

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
We watched Blade Runner 2049 tonight.

There was, however, a reason I’ve put off seeing it until now. And that reason was I could not for the life of me think of a reason for this film to exist.

The idea that perhaps the original film had a spiritual successor worthy of being made is not an invalid one. But an idea in itself is not a story, and a story in itself does not necessarily justify the existence of characters who fill in as cyphers for characters who were much more compelling the first time around.

Yes, it’s beautiful, but in a curiously contrived way that suffers terribly in comparison with the shadow left by Ridley Scott and Syd Mead’s visionary idealisation of dystopia. I am a huge fan of the work of Roger Deakins and his attempt to shoot as much in-camera as possible, and I guess if one can ever “deserve” an Oscar, then I see no reason to not award it to him this year.

But this film is all aesthetics. Despite an attempt by the screenwriters to reinvent the real/spectral free/slave dialectic for a woke audience, Blade Runner 2049 is all surface pleasures (and synthetically sterile ones at that), lacking both the previous film’s sense of morality and a symbolic web to strengthen our connection with the characters (the horse is doing waaay too much of the heavy lifting). I just didn’t care about the fate of anyone. When Harrison Ford’s character comes equal to the dog in terms of emotional investment, you have problems with a story that no amount of eye candy can fix, no matter how visually inventive (or distracting).

Perhaps the most disappointing thing from a director whose work I have liked, and actors whom I believe are capable of better work, is that there’s nothing in the premise to give legitimacy to the images. If ever there was a case of style over substance, this is it.

Oh yeah, and it is just too. Damn. Long.

Best,

853guy

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Of the nominated films, Lady Bird was my favorite.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a big upset on Best Picture. None of the films have taken a huge lead.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Lady Bird was enjoyable but not my favorite. Having said that I believe if anyone can beat Francis McDormand it’s Saoirse Ronan

I really liked Lady Bird and Saorise is excellent but I wasn’t my favorite coming-of-age movie. I think I liked The Edge of Seventeen more. I thought Lady Bird had too many odd elements including a crazy mom, a first boyfriend who turned out to be gay, a childhood best friend who was dumped for cool kids and then a “first time” with the deep, cool HS kid. It just seemed a bit forced. But, I still liked it mainly due to Saorise’s performance.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
The Florida Project

No one is talking about this film
[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WwQ-NH1rRT4[/video]

Over 96% positive on Rotten Tomatoes ??

Difficult to ever find in the theaters

We watched it On Demand and really enjoyed it.

What really made this film special was the role of Moonee played by the young Brooklyn Prince. We watched her throughout the movie and this kid is a natural. She never seemed to be acting as her facial expressions and gesticulations were so very real

The film runs 1 hour 55 minutes and is worth the watch if for no other reason than to watch the kids in this movie.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
The Florida Project

No one is talking about this film
[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WwQ-NH1rRT4[/video]

Over 96% positive on Rotten Tomatoes ??

Difficult to ever find in the theaters

We watched it On Demand and really enjoyed it.

What really made this film special was the role of Moonee played by the young Brooklyn Prince. We watched her throughout the movie and this kid is a natural. She never seemed to be acting as her facial expressions and gesticulations were so very real

The film runs 1 hour 55 minutes and is worth the watch if for no other reason than to watch the kids in this movie.

I have to respectfully disagree. I couldn't wait for the movie to be over. Ridiculous ending. The kid actors were all quite good but snooze alert.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I have to respectfully disagree. I couldn't wait for the movie to be over. Ridiculous ending. The kid actors were all quite good but snooze alert.

Marty
You were snoozing no doubt as the kids were the movie and Brooklyn Prince was amazing in the role.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Movies they can do all sort of things to all of us. My best friend and I we agree 50% of the time on some movies and 95% on others. Occasionally one of us doesn't see what the other saw, less than 5%

The Florida Project is not your typical film, the main star is very young and the movie itself is simplicity in itself, just like watching kids, our grandchildren playing in our own backyards and frontyards.

There was a mention earlier about the movie 'Brooklyn', it's a love story, a beautiful love story and beautifully and romantically acted, I love that flick.

I understand 'The Florida Project' is very different, more raw, natural, not so much set with decors and mises-en-scènes, not projecting on a grander scale. That's the charm of this film, it's own aura. We are not used to watch simple life vignettes with young kids in such simple setting like a Florida motel.
I exited the film like I entered it, living it as an onscreen project of simple interaction between actors in their environment. I humbly accepted its premises and promises of real life.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I've read this fun interesting article earlier this morning, it's free for anyone having an interest in movies to read, but I thought it was worth it to share, so here it is:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...name-is-wrong-post-got-spielberg-ized-1088406
___

Bonus: http://www.goldderby.com/article/2018/dunkirk-jordan-peele-secret-oscar-voter-ballot-news/
___

Only four days to go before Oscars night. I admit, I'm looking forward to it; not with high heels and tuxedo but for cinema curiosity, for the love of filmmakers and their cinematic arts. For the moving pictures and music accompaniment, for the accomplishments of movie entertainment. ...For the messages, for the culture, for what it can do in us emotionally and as a cultural and developed society, the magic power of film's art.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing