2013 RMAF must see/hear Products and your Fab Five?

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
You should consider the Allnic H1500. LCR phono, I traded up to that from Manley Steelhead, should be able to find it used for a good price.

Also, some of the older CAT preamps with phono are excellent deals for sound quality, but I would prefer the Allnic unit.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
You should consider the Allnic H1500. LCR phono, I traded up to that from Manley Steelhead, should be able to find it used for a good price.

I've eyed that one and will look for it. So far (in Canada) I've not seen any for sale.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
John-You may have already done this before, but what is your reasonable price? The Manley Chinnook phono stage is tube based and it retails for $2500 I believe. I have heard it and it put a smile on my face.

I know several people who believe the Manley Steelhead was easily bettered by a Jasmine phono stage that costs less than $600 on ebay. YMMV.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
the jasmine lp2.0se is really good considering price, i gave a short review somewher on wbf. johnny, if you like tubes check out the rogue ares, you can find one for ~1400 used. i owned a zesto andros at the same time along with the whest ps30rdt, pass ono, aqvox 2ci and krell kpe ref and the ares is what i ended up keeping. jerry siegel loves his http://www.10audio.com/rogue_ares.htm

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com
If there is anyone who is familiar with the Usher 6311 or MD2 and is going to the show, I would to get a report on how they compare to the Magico S1 (if they appear at the show). I'm looking at this possibly being my next speaker in 3-4 years, but don't know when I'll get the opportunity to hear it.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Thanks guys for the options you presented. I've listed them down and will try to get more info about each of them.

How's the show so far?

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
The High Water Sound room was the highlight for me today. Also impressed by DeVore, dc10audio/Elliot Studio Sound and Kanso Audio Furniture.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I'm very curious about the sound in the GR Research / Dodd room; $40k line source speakers with tube amps (and possibly battery powered tube preamp?)

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
P1010551.JPG P1010552.JPG

Anyway, made it through the ground floor, second, and floors 11, 10 and 9. Many great sounding systems IMHO, but the Border Patrol/Volti really blew me away, favorite so far, massive power supply with two 300b's per channel and the corner loaded Klipsch like horns. Imaging was too large, but I suppose I could get used to that.

Got a picture of Fremer's bald spot, if he doesn't give me free Ypsilon stuff, I'm going to publish it.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
RMAF_crowd_600.jpg
"RMAF's opening day—lines stretching through the lobby, out the doors, and around the parking lot"

Looks like an AARP meeting.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Here's my flash of the night before I go to bed.

IMHO the one room that stands head and shoulders above the rest is Nick Doshi/Paragon Sight And Sound.

I have been back there at least 6-8 times since yesterday and nothing even comes close. All of Nick's new models were on display. What's even more amazing is all of the gear Nick was showing has already been sold.

I might change my mind tomorrow when I hear the Wilson XLF/twin Thor subs.

Stay tuned.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
The tapes in the Doshi room clearly create their own unassailable standard. However, the bad juju between me and the smaller Wilson speakers seems to continue, I don't know what it is.

All I could think was, Wow, I would really like to hear this with some Apogee ribbons.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
View attachment 12144 View attachment 12145

Anyway, made it through the ground floor, second, and floors 11, 10 and 9. Many great sounding systems IMHO, but the Border Patrol/Volti really blew me away, favorite so far, massive power supply with two 300b's per channel and the corner loaded Klipsch like horns. Imaging was too large, but I suppose I could get used to that.

Got a picture of Fremer's bald spot, if he doesn't give me free Ypsilon stuff, I'm going to publish it.

+1. Border Patrol sounded great with the Volti.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I'll give one more nod to the "so far", the bargain system of the show was Zu Audio system powered by a single Peachtree integrated and a separate subwoofer. Sound punched way up there, utilizing some digital vinyl rip files from a new company called "Sweet Vinyl" who are ripping tens of thousands of premium vinyl records to hi rez digital and have purchased the license to sell them.

The Zu vendors are also very cool, young guys with real audio passion.

P1010530.jpg

ozarktom

Jun 23, 2013
For those at the RMAF show, do not miss the Vaughn Loudspeaker room. This is a must if you have never listened to plasma drivers. Jim says the system is very well dialed in.

This is just a pic from his website.
83b4507ea6485442edde82d3bda52141.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing