1917 | Official Trailer [HD]

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Wow Ked

truly one of the Best if not THE best movie of the year. This was more than a war movie. It was a story of heroism. You must have seen a different movie than the rest of us. Good thing you’re not a movie critic cuz I think you’re totally mistaken

Superman, Batman, and Spider-Man are much better hero movies. This was not a war movie. This was a wannabe war movie.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
No doubt. The visual effects are impressive too. The trenches, the rats, the bodies and so much more.

They look very fakes and forced to me. See the tranches in good the bad the ugly in the war scene towards the end. That feels real

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
Just back from local Imax & excellent film

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
? https://news.abs-cbn.com/entertainm...s-top-hollywood-director-prize-for-sam-mendes

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
When you follow the camera you don't see any cut; it's one long shoot without interruption for the entire film except for around mid-way when a black screen appears for roughly 10 seconds.
You wonder how they did it, where the cameraman is positioned, without shaking, etc.
It's a tour-de-force, it's simply fully immersing and the music score and lightning and acting ... everything is top notch. The film crew did a majestic achievement.

We don't see movies of this high caliber; it's not your usual routine in the art of filmmaking.
It's a simple film, with tones of brown and grey, dead trees, often without vegetation, nude, desolate land, depressing, lonely, ... but this is WWI in the trenches and its surroundings; no man's land between.

For a good while The Irishman was my favorite flick.
1917 is in my opinion underrated; it deserves the very best.
I don't watch films @ the theaters twice; here I did...I had to see both screen aspect ratios (regular widescreen standard and IMAX) and make my own vision (feel).
I won't say which I prefer; I'll let you guess instead ...

This year for the film Oscars 2020 is an easy year (to me anyway).

The films I like I buy them for home on UHD, and those I revisit once in a while.
I do this with music recordings too.
But, there are so many more films and music recordings (unknown) and so little time left ...

Overall 1917 from Sam Mendes is the best film, period, of the year 2019. Everything I see, hear, feel ... rings right. There is simply no comparison in 2019.
* I still have to see A Hidden Life from Terrence Malick ...

The photo of the guy from the above post is the photo of the winner @ the Oscar coming up in less than two weeks. You don't need to be an Academy voter to get this.

Reactions: Steve Williams

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
After ten years I learned to know the people I hang with, their taste in films ...
I like Joker too for Joaquin's performance (he's one of a kind actor), and to me the Best Music Score.

But Joker is not the movie that turns the mojo of most people in normal ways.
It's a very twisted film and violent. This is not peaceful cinema art, this is psychological dysfunctional illusive social behavior. It's a supervillain movie, not Cinderella.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is another type of twisted movie with an ending to please the public with an illusive outcome, a feeling of justice through revenge, very vengeful violent outcome. This too is not the type of peaceful art cinema that turns the mojo of your average Academy Award voter. Many people don't dare to even go there.

Parasite, Jojo Rabbit, ... the themes are not the Cinderella type.

I could write few books, not today. Only few words to say that it is an ensemble of almost 9,000 Academy voters (with approximately an age average of 63) in the film industry who decide what's best ... film, actors, director, sound, picture, music, makeup, costumes, decors, setups, etc.

Putting myself in my own shoes 1917 is the much superior film on many levels.
I also like The Irishman, putting asides who is the real hitman. But mob flicks are not the type to turn the mojo of Academy voters towards Cinderella.

Reactions: Steve Williams

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
I wanna how a guy in the first week of April in Belgium can fall into a river and after spending how long in there ??, goes over a water fall(he did his Harrison Ford impersonation quiet well) yet comes out without any signs of hypothermia ? Not to mention the all important letter he is to deliver to the front line is dry and perfect, WTF ????

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
It's a movie; you are allowed to take some liberties when making Hollywood movies...it's in the rules. :)

It's the journey, starting by sitting your back against a tree and ending your back up against another tree in another field ... it's the mission, the purpose of the mission, the message delivery, the meaning of life, between life and death, war and peace ... brotherhood, teamwork, no man's land, pure sheer willpower.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Plus in extraordinary circumstances, during war events, people do extraordinary acts of commitment and sacrifices.

If real events are what we're looking for, war reporters in the field are it. ...Real time documentaries.
With movies based on accounts and books and history it varies all over the places; but the main tag line is to entertain, attract the attention, give emotions. It's like going to the circus, buy your ticket, have a seat, pay for the clowns, the trapezists (stuntmen), the entertainers (actors), the circus management (theater's operators, movie studios, etc.)

Music is entertainment, for the brain, the balance of the senses, the pleasure, the relaxation, etc.
Films the same, and what we like is not necessarily what others like. No way some gentle people I know would enjoy a film like Joker. And War movies are not for many of them either.

I feel that sometimes if your opinion on films is different than other people they (some) tend to judge you under the wrong light...that would be a mistake; we all have different affinities and sensibilities. It's immature to wrongly judge.

There are many aspects in movies, from technical to emotional. And the way they/we pick the best, award them with trophies, Oscars, ... is an overall vote from many people affiliated in the art and science of filmmaking.

Last year was a good example...between Green Book and Roma. They both won, with a heart.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing