1917 | Official Trailer [HD]

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
This one is starting to generate some Oscar buzz,. Looking forward to seeing it.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Had the opportunity to 1917 this afternoon and enjoyed the movie. Though far from perfect this may be my favorite movie of the year. The camera work is impressive. As most of you have probably heard it is meant to look almost like one continuous shot. It feels that way for a good portion of the movie. How they have the camera tracking the scene and actors especially in the first third of the movie is very creative.

I found a few head scratchers and a couple of "that's crazy" scenes but overall they didn't mess up the movie. I won't give away any of what happens.

Reactions: NorthStar

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
It’s the cinematography of this movie that makes it so speciall

No doubt. The visual effects are impressive too. The trenches, the rats, the bodies and so much more.

Reactions: Steve Williams

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I found this boring. Sam Mendes Skyfall parkour type direction, where he thinks it is nailbiting, but in reality it is just boring. Once you see the trenches and the weary people In The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly war scene, these from 1917 look so fake and made up. Not even a true story, at least that would have made it interesting. Of war movies in recent years Hacksaw Ridge was much better.

Knives Out and Irishman are worth watching, this and Little Women are not, just directors pretending to be arty

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Ked, 1917 just keeps winning awards over awards. Yesterday again (PGA, Best Picture).
It's on the top list of many film experts to win the top Oscar(s) in three weeks.
It's about filming techniques, moving cinematograhy, music score, direction, war and peace.

“1917” continued its string of major awards season wins on Saturday night, earning the Producers Guild of America award for best picture. Coupled with its win for best picture, drama at the Golden Globes, the WWI movie is officially the front runner for Oscar’s top prize.

“It’s a film that is a tribute to all those who stood to protect the values that we all hold dear, and fought in the First World War and many other conflicts,” producer Pippa Harris’s said while accepting the award. “In these times of division and conflict all over the world, it’s just a reminder to never take for granted the peace that we all inherited.”

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I have yet to go to this... but I did see Midway at the bargain theater one night. No one talks about it. It wasn't bad, just too much story for too short of a movie. Some of the visuals were damn good. 1917 is next on my list.

But I have to ask how is 1917 boring? For example I really enjoyed Downton Abbey the movie. I thought it was superb. I may be different to please than others.

gds7368

VIP/Donor
Jan 9, 2015
Just got home from watching 1917 and it was excellent. So many movies are derivative, and the continuous camera shot look definitely creates a unique perspective. I do think that the inability to pause a scene and then see it from different angles/cameras took away a certain element of potential storytelling. Too movies build up a good story only to wither at the end, but 1917 succeeds as it hit the ending out of the park, both visually and dramatically. Definitely worth seeing.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
I have yet to go to this... but I did see Midway at the bargain theater one night. No one talks about it. It wasn't bad, just too much story for too short of a movie. Some of the visuals were damn good. 1917 is next on my list.

But I have to ask how is 1917 boring? For example I really enjoyed Downton Abbey the movie. I thought it was superb. I may be different to please than others.

1917 and Midway are very different movies.

Midway is an action/war movie on a grandiose scale. Lots of CGI in the battle scenes.

1917 is a war movie but more focused on a few individuals and their experiences in WWI. The first half of 1917 has more action than the second half.

Both were good (in my opinion) but in very different ways. I preferred 1917. YMMV

Reactions: jeff1225

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I enjoyed getting into the strategy some of Midway. To me that made it interesting in a way a lot of movies don't. You don't get much perspective from the high ups in war movies. The actors are usually like, "we have to stop them here, it's important" and that's it.

1917 seems more interpersonal, which also sounds nice.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I found this boring. Sam Mendes Skyfall parkour type direction, where he thinks it is nailbiting, but in reality it is just boring. Once you see the trenches and the weary people In The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly war scene, these from 1917 look so fake and made up. Not even a true story, at least that would have made it interesting. Of war movies in recent years Hacksaw Ridge was much better.

Knives Out and Irishman are worth watching, this and Little Women are not, just directors pretending to be arty
Wow Ked

truly one of the Best if not THE best movie of the year. This was more than a war movie. It was a story of heroism. You must have seen a different movie than the rest of us. Good thing you’re not a movie critic cuz I think you’re totally mistaken

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I dunno, Ked agreed with me on Once Upon a Time in Hollywood... 1917 could be bad. I too tire of some not artsy, arsty movies. And I have long been sick of Nolan’s mumble level dialogue, which has a feeling a bit like the preview.

I’ll know soon...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing