100 dollar tube tester by VHT

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
unnamed.jpg my browser sent this to me. I have not tried it. I am thinking about it. May buy it for a review.https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-and-supplies/tools-by-job/tools-for-electronics/vht-tube-tester--amp-bias-meter/?

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Lowrider75

Dec 4, 2019
View attachment 99468 my browser sent this to me. I have not tried it. I am thinking about it. May buy it for a review.https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-and-supplies/tools-by-job/tools-for-electronics/vht-tube-tester--amp-bias-meter/?
There are other testers like this available. They test tube bias when in circuit. They dont measure Gm or emissions.

Reactions: mtemur

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Great can you share some of them with the members? This one has an attractive price and bias.

Lowrider75

Dec 4, 2019
Great can you share some of them with the members? This one has an attractive price and bias.
Are you looking for a bias tester or a tube tester that measures tube parameters and tube strength? I've been looking for a simple tester that isn't 50 years old.

Yours looks really nice.
On Amazon and Ebay, use key words "vacuum tube bias tester."

new2Krell

Feb 9, 2020
A tad late maybe, I use something similar
View attachment 99468 my browser sent this to me. I have not tried it. I am thinking about it. May buy it for a review.https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-and-supplies/tools-by-job/tools-for-electronics/vht-tube-tester--amp-bias-meter/?
A tad late maybe, but I bought something similar a few years ago (not sure if they are still available!). No built in dials, you need to plug into a normal digital volt meter, preferably autoranging. Two toggle switches on the unit, one to select the tube, the second to choose between Ik and Vp (an autoranging voltmeter saves resetting the DVM voltage selector between tests).

Attachments

• 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    766.1 KB · Views: 16
Reactions: Gregadd

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
I have 1 custom made for my selection of tubes used in system
Becks from Germany

That looks like a rather nicely built tester at a very reasonable price Leif … I wonder if they would consider ( Be Mad Enough) building me a unit to specifically test full parameters for Transmitting valves specifically 813 and 814.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
sure he would.......contact Helmut...tell Leif in Norway sent you
mine went up in smoke due to a Takatsuki 300B, and the support to fix it was outstanding, so I did it myself

Reactions: Argonaut

new2Krell

Feb 9, 2020
Becks from Germany

Looks great! I have always fancied a device to check /match my EL34s. Would this really replace a traditional emission tester / matcher?
I was curious how it worked - found this:
(text in German, lived there for 12 years, not a problem) I think most (non German speaking) will get the gist of it.
For the record, I have a little "Tube Imp" for matching my ECC82's and 83's.

Attachments

• Tube Imp.JPG
    Tube Imp.JPG
    668.9 KB · Views: 3

alevaudio

Mar 9, 2023
Becks from Germany

Found interesting DIY here: https://valveheaven.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/An-inexpensive-easy-to-build-diy-valve-tester.pdf
I just built this project with some modifications for under $100USD. It does not look aesthetically pleasing but it is budget friendly and works great.

Attachments

• diy tester.jpg
    diy tester.jpg
    482.7 KB · Views: 8

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing