10 Cloverfield Lane

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Appears Cloverfield is becoming a bit of a cult series - I had not seen the original, but saw the next installment yesterday. It's really quite a good movie - John Goodman does a stunning job playing a creepy conspiracy theorist who perhaps has a hidden agenda. Its a JJ Abrams produced affair, so the supernatural is definitely in play.

For those not familiar with the setting, Earth has been attacked presumably by aliens. I have heard each Cloverfield movie deals with different plots occurring at the same time of the attack. In this installment, a woman is in a car crash and taken to a bunker by John Goodman due to chemical warfare. There are some VERY squirmy/tense moments of dialog and the psychological warfare is much more interesting than this genre of movie typically produces. There is also some excellent humor even woven through the script.

10 Cloverfield Lane has a 76 on Metacritic and I think that is a fair rating. Highly recommended for something off the beaten path and different.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yeah totally enjoyed it

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Just recently obtained a Blu-Ray of it and looking forward to it. Read that it can function on its own and doesn't need to be linked to 'Cloverfield' to be enjoyable.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I wrote few comments back in June, from the Blu-ray:

"I took a chance:

Different, like a theater play. ...Strange, strange, ...it's a one-girl show. ...The two guys are mainly her supporters.
And us? Lol, us we want to know. So we have no choice but to go along for the ride; and that is exactly where the attraction is with that flick...our desire to know, to find out.
It's a very simple film, like a play. ...And unfortunately full of holes; with no attention to small details that are important for the suspense of "I believe". But I guess it's secondary here; what counts is the suspense, without making sense. :b
I saw more of what it could have been than what was onscreen...equal. It still keeps you wanting to know, to discover what's going on, more so with an actress like Mary Elizabeth Winstead, ...some' about her that is "arresting" ... her eyes expressing perfectly our own...wanting to know too.

Yes, there are some small details where no effort were made to make them more believable, and that's my main criticism.
But overall it's worth a watch, recommended. My own rating score (film & technical aspects): 70.5

Lol, some of the critics...did they overrate that one or what! I was going to insert a trailer, but I decided not to.
It's best to have zero idea. That's the best value this flick has going on for it, IMO.

Yeah, give it a shot. I took a chance and I survived well because I was interested to know...about what was coming up."

Last word: Desire of the unknown.
_____
_____

* The first original (prequel); Cloverfield (2008):

was/is a cool film on its own right. The only flaw was that it was shot with a handheld camera, and that is constantly shaking. It will give you a headache if you are remotely sensitive to that kind of shoot like I am. And if you can handle that style then you will like it, I think.
If I would rate the first one on Blu-ray, 'Cloverfield', I would score it overall (film entertainment and technical picture and sound aspects): 71
Film fun and audio are great...about 86; but the camera style dropped it to 71 for me. Recommended, if your balance remains in check.
_____

Info: 1) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloverfield
2) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10_Cloverfield_Lane

Last edited:

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
It was our Sunday Night movie, watched upscaled to 4K.

It is a thrilling huis-clos with both Goodman and Winstead providing great performances, the latter as a very strong character, beautiful figure and has a lot of fight in her.

She starts by leaving her boyfriend and goes on a road trip, stops at a gas station where things start to get a little uncomfortable as a truck stops behind her car, then she hits the road again...

It is better not to say more than that, but if you have seen Cloverfield, you know what to expect for part of the plot although it often leaves you at the edge of uncertainty.

There isn't a moment where the movie appears too long or too slow, it's very well paced.

The Director did beautifully here. I hope too see Winstead in other good movies as well.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Yeah I like her too; she's pleasant to watch for our eyes...Mary Elizabeth Winstead. I can see a great future from this young actress (she's 31, and pretty).
I want to see her in more "expanded" films; classy, not B movies...which of course she excels @.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Elizabeth_Winstead

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I liked 10 cloverfield and a similar thriller is Don't breathe. 10 C probably had more finesse but this was quite enjoyable

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
I liked the first 90 percent of the film.

Quite understandable, really: there's a little disconnect somewhere. The original story was a standalone one not in the Cloverfield mythos, this was added later.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing