"Raised" edge vinyl- do you find it changes the sound?

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
I have a few RTI and Classic Records pressings that are raising up around 1-1.5 mm on the edges for about a 1/4 of the way into the record. So not quite a massive bowl warp, but still not flat. The cartridge can track them fine and there isn't an audible warp sound like thumps. I'm not sure this is considered enough of a warp that a flattening device would do any good. Unfortunately the few records that exhibit this are long out of print.

However it does change the VTA of the cartridge. I've noticed for some vinyl this changes the sound of them (relative to the non-raised side). Others not as much.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Did you try an outer ring clamp?
this is the sort of situation where they excel, where the warp is not severe but still there.
In the absence of a vacuum clamp, the outer ring works beautifully, and improves the sound even in regular, not warped records.

alexandre

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Did you try an outer ring clamp?
this is the sort of situation where they excel, where the warp is not severe but still there.
In the absence of a vacuum clamp, the outer ring works beautifully, and improves the sound even in regular, not warped records.

alexandre

An outer ring clamp is not possible with my Nottingham. It would add too much weight for the low powered motor. I have been considering a clamp when my Lenco is finished.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
An outer ring clamp is not possible with my Nottingham. It would add too much weight for the low powered motor. I have been considering a clamp when my Lenco is finished.

I checked into the outer ring from TT Weights and yes, it's too heavy for the Nottingham due to the motor. I use the Pro-ject Puck, but wouldn't mind finding a lighter weight clamp that provides enough force to secure it to the TT properly. Any suggestions?

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
They have 3 or 4 different models, did you check them all?
I've got the one without the extra weights on the rim, and while not exactly lightweight, it's not that heavy... A friend is currently using it on a vintage Thorens.

alexandre

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing