You are NOT dedicated enough to the hobby!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Yes, you read that right. I don't care what you say. You are not dedicated enough to audio hobby.

Watching a TV reality show called "Buying Alaska." It follows people who are shopping for homes in Alaska.

They show this couple where the guy is into racing sled dogs. He calls it "mushing." (???). The episode is: Buying Alaska : A Dog Musher's Dream

The first home they show him is owned by another sled dog racer. But get this: there is no running water. There is no electricity (other than some generator). It is a tiny home where half if it is settling so it is getting separated from the other. But this is NOT the worst part! The worst parts are:

1. There is no toilet or bathroom in the house. The out house is a completely open structure where you sit on a piece of wood and the whole world is in front of you. It is some 100 feet away from the house in a place that gets many feet of snow. But wait, that is not the worst part yet! :) They see two such holes you sit on to do your business. The reason? There are bears there. So when you go, you go with someone else just in case one decides to attack you!

2. Oh it gets better. The kitchen is another open structure some 100 feet away. It has no walls. It is the kind of thing you see in Hawaii. Except as I said, this place gets boat load of snow.

Now get this: during the whole tour, the male constantly says this is perfect! It is his idea of the ideal home. The wife keeps saying in the saddest voice you can imagine (from what I recall), "we don't have situations like this in New Jersey." Yet he repeats, "this would be so perfect. The dogs will love it here. This is what I want." He shows zero care for what she is saying.

Sadly the show is not available online. Here is a youtube intro:

So no, you have nothing over this guy and his hobby! :D :D :D

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
That house is sort of like a trashed out Western Electric theater amp with a chassis that has rusted all the way through and maybe missing all of the transformers. It just need a little DIY attention, and it will be good as new! :D :D :D

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
Amir, I am in the process of buying the house next door to turn it into a coal fired power plant with a huge underground battery bank to power my system. Of course I realize that the delicate electronics in my CD player require a separate power source, but I can't afford to buy out my other neighbour just yet. People who come and visit me for a listen will have to take turns shovelling coal to keep the system powered.

How is that for dedication to the cause? :)

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
-- BTW Amir, that video, it ain't avail in my country: "The uploader has not made this video available in your country."

Use Firefox (maybe Google Chrome). Then, add the extension called anonymoX. With it, you can proxy on the fly without any technical know how. You will appear to YouTube's server to be originating in a different country. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing