I will be in Washington D.C. next week

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Any tips as for music stores or must-see places around?

Blues Alley gets some good acts- that's where some of those famous Eva Cassidy tracks were recorded. It's a nice, easily accessible club, but it's been years since I've been there. Kinkead's is excellent if you like seafood- it is basically a series of old townhouses that are all connected internally, and the chef makes a yummy de-constructed Cesear salad (forget what they call it, may just be a romaine, with extras); his specialties include some interesting takes on 'ethnic' dishes, a red snapper done as a jamaican style dish, etc. It is an easy, relaxed place without the heavy politico vibe. He is famous for his Ipswich clams.
The Willard Hotel is worth a visit- old time political hang-out, big, old fashioned hotel that is not far from the White House.
Air and Space Museum if you've got time- you could spend weeks at the museums there.
What else? Vietnam Memorial - it is powerful even if you have no strong viewpoint on that war;
They have these tours that they do on Segways. I didn't do one, but you see groups doing them and it looks like a good way to go.
Georgetown- it's been a long time, so I can't tell you what's happening there, or nightlife generally.
Unfortunately, most of my trips to DC are work-related, so I don't get much of a chance to hang out.

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
The Washington Post has a weekend section. You can get the one for this weekend. It will tell you the live music places.

It depends on what you like.

Daytime- Fall colors. The Mall and Tidal Basin. MLK, TJ,Lincoln Memorial and Vietnam war memorial all in one general area. The Metro subway is cheap, safe and accessible. Upper Mass Avenue, .National Cathedral, the Zoo are near woodley park metro. The suburbs require a car. The people are friendly and the area is relatively crime free.
If you want to visit a stereo store JS AUdio is in Bethesda Chevy Chase MD.
Downtown is revitalized. 7th St. NW, Chinatown. The newest is the 14th and U st. NW Corridor. Lots of clubs and free jazz.

Adams Morgan is the Quasi Latin corridor 18th and Columbia St NW. Ethnic restaurants. The Kennedy center may have some areas you like. tHE BIRCHMERE is Old Townes jazz club just across the Potomac.

If you tell me where you are staying. and what you like I can tell you more. If you are adventurous you might even make it to Baltimores' Inner Harbor (30 minute drive).
Sorry The record scene for me at least is pretty much gone. Blues Alley. They usually have two shows one at 8 and the other at 10. Food is good. But I suggest you eat elsewhere and take the ten o'clock show,

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Whart- G'town hasn't changed much. Still suffering from their decision to pass on a subway stop. The closest is Foggy Bottom GW.

Last edited:

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Thanks, Greg. As I've gotten older, I've come to appreciate DC more. It really is a beautiful city.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
WARNING! for everyone! Guns are not allowed. Zero tolerance. Your out of state license is a worthless piece of paper.
I know you all would like to meet gregadd. But not in a holding cell.:b

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Good you are close to downtown Washington,and Norther Va, You can take 495 to 295 and be right in the heart of downtown dc. that will take ypu right in the heart of monuments and clubs. if. I sggest you patk at a mero station. You can drive but paeking is expensive... metro station. Take the metro green line into dc. Your concierge can give you more specific details. The mall and tidal basin are good Sunday morning outing. The mall includes mostt oof the monuments i mentioned.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
WARNING! for everyone! Guns are not allowed. Zero tolerance. Your out of state license is a worthless piece of paper.
I know you all would like to meet gregadd. But not in a holding cell.:b
Looks like your metropolis/district is also considering a big soda ban. Dude, You're gettin' Bloomberg'd!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I am currently residing in Leesberg, VA.You can buy soda in bulk at Costco, Sams Club and Walmart. Diabetes and Obesity is a personal choice.

I can also get a permit to carry a concealed weapon. It's like the old west when I go to the sports bar. Everyone wants to show me there gun,

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I am currently residing in Leesberg, VA.You can buy soda in bulk at Costco, Sams Club and Walmart. Diabetes and Obesity is a personal choice.

I can also get a permit to carry a concealed weapon. It's like the old west when I go to the sports bar. Everyone wants to show me there gun,
So, I can see it now, in addition to running guns from other states, people are going to be smuggling big sodas in- sorta like prohibition. What are you in for? Ah, soda smuggling. Pepsi-bootleggers. Saw something that said at Chapel Hill, the school is now eliminating the term 'freshman' because it is not gender neutral. Don't get me started.
On guns and NY, there was this dude I used to see- he and his buddies had a scam- when I'd stand out in front of my office building in Times Sq, smoking a cig, they'd shake down tourists by handing the tourist a CD with the nastiest home-made hardcore rap music, ask the tourists' name, then quickly inscribe the CD case and demand 10 bucks or more. The tourists were often intimidated enough to fork over the money. Anyway, this dude was one of those guys, and he didn't hassle me- he wanted me to get him a deal with a 'label.' Whatever. He was a little intense, as in street thug, but we were cool.
So one day, this is probably 3 years ago, I'm reading the NY Post and see there was a shoot-out in Times Sq. A cop spotted some guy who was wanted on some warrants for something stupid, and chases him, the dude pulls out a Mac-10, which I think locked up, and the cop shot him dead. The dude's pic was in the paper. It was my man, the CD dude. When I saw his posse the next time I was in the city, having a smoke in front of my building in Times Sq, i said, "Yo, what happened with your friend? Why did he do that? That's crazy stupid. What's the best that could have happened- that he killed a cop in Times Sq.?" It's already a militarized zone, particularly after 911. They said one of his side-lines was bringing weapons up from the south, and that he knew if he got busted for whatever small beef the cop was chasing him for, he'd go down hard on a weapons charge. So, it starts small; break the soda law, next thing you know, they're wholesaling meth.
I quit smoking.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Strange. Shooting a cop is always a bad idea.
You can own a gun in DC but you can't buy one.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
We had a great dinner at The Oceanaire by the White House, visted the Smithsonian, Capitol Hill, Washington memorial and Lincoln park - I liked the city and climate was great this last days. Thanks!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
We had a great dinner at The Oceanaire by the White House, visted the Smithsonian, Capitol Hill, Washington memorial and Lincoln park - I liked the city and climate was great this last days. Thanks!

Great! Any good audio?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Great try to make it back in the Spring.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing