MSB Diamond DAC IV Reviewed By Stereophile

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Just for once, can't we all just agree on something and make my life easier :D

Trust me on this. It is a big step forward in the server world. This coming from a person who put the JPlay issue to rest last year. Version 5.1 is a whole new ballgame, when mated to JRiver with a ControlPC, AudioPC, in DL and Hibernation modes on the AudioPC, you have the purest "source" you can possibly have. How much of an improvement Pang's USB card, Fiber will bring, I can't say (at this point), but I only recommend what I have used and compared and I am loving the Diamond more than I ever thought possible.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Trust me on this. It is a big step forward in the server world. This coming from a person who put the JPlay issue to rest last year. Version 5.1 is a whole new ballgame, when mated to JRiver with a ControlPC, AudioPC, in DL and Hibernation modes on the AudioPC, you have the purest "source" you can possibly have. How much of an improvement Pang's USB card, Fiber will bring, I can't say (at this point), but I only recommend what I have used and compared and I am loving the Diamond more than I ever thought possible.

I don't understand the controlPC and audioPC architecture. You actually need two physical machines? Can you elaborate?

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA

Thanks for the input guys, I've thought about it and will probably end up hedging my bet and get a CAPS 3.0 Zuma build in a (still fanless) chassis that has two expansion slots, and install the SotM card in one slot, and the AES16e card in the other. I need the AES16e card anyway for my MCH configuration, so worse case I end up not using the USB card if I prefer the AES/EBU signal path for 2 channel. In this scenario I could even rip it out and resell the card.

I was thinking of getting an HDMI video card installed as well, but this would preclude me from using the Red Wine Audio PS (video card draws too much power), and since importance of audio performance trumps video performace any day of the week, this is not in the cards (pun intended).

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Thanks for the input guys, I've thought about it and will probably end up hedging my bet and get a CAPS 3.0 Zuma build in a (still fanless) chassis that has two expansion slots, and install the SotM card in one slot, and the AES16e card in the other. I need the AES16e card anyway for my MCH configuration, so worse case I end up not using the USB card if I prefer the AES/EBU signal path for 2 channel. In this scenario I could even rip it out and resell the card.

I was thinking of getting an HDMI video card installed as well, but this would preclude me from using the Red Wine Audio PS (video card draws too much power), and since importance of audio performance trumps video performace any day of the week, this is not in the cards (pun intended).

Pulled the trigger and ordered the CAPS 3.0 Zuma Multi Channel version, with SotM USB card and Lynx AES16e side by side. Fanless chassis accomodating two cards had to be ordered from the UK. Threw in Pang's SATA cable for good measure. When all is said and done $5K worth of server (incl. Powersupply), largely cost of parts and assembled and designed in garage. This better be good.....

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
OK. Took me a little while to get the unit over here (courtesy of bank of america taking 5 days to complete a next day transfer), but the Ref 5Se is up and running. Spend 5 minutes listening and the verdict is simple. Major step up. Not subtle. The way I see a preamp is as a device that can breath life into the signal (as opposed to doing VC in the DAC), but that sucks life out of the signal (by inserting an active circuit in the signal path). With the preamps I tried to dat, the "sucking out" effect always trumped the "breathing in". Not so anymore.

Congratulation!

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Pulled the trigger and ordered the CAPS 3.0 Zuma Multi Channel version, with SotM USB card and Lynx AES16e side by side. Fanless chassis accomodating two cards had to be ordered from the UK. Threw in Pang's SATA cable for good measure. When all is said and done $5K worth of server (incl. Powersupply), largely cost of parts and assembled and designed in garage. This better be good.....

Hi edorr,

Will you adopt all the mod & tweaks suggested by Pang?
http://ppastudio.blogspot.hk/2013/02/optimize-computer-audiophile-pocket.html

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I discussed the suggested mods with the guy building this for me. We decided to just strip out the SotM SATA power filter, and add high grade internal power cabling and Pang's SATA cable. There is a limit to the insanity even for me.

You are not the only insane one.

Several friends & I are using Pang's Tz Yun II & Green Label SATA cable. The sonic improvement is quite obvious. :)

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA

Several friends & I are using Pang's Tz Yun II & Green Label SATA cable. The sonic improvement is quite obvious. :)

I know. By WBF forum standards I am only mildly insane. If I had more cash and time, I could graduate to certified totally insane.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL

His USB cable is amazing, especially given the price. Much better than AQ Diamond.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
PPA Studio USB cable

His USB cable is amazing, especially given the price. Much better than AQ Diamond.

Hi Priaptor,

I have PPA Studio Tz Yun II SATA cables but never tried his USB cables.

Are yours the Tz Yun II or the newest Tz Yun III USB cables?
Please tell us more on its performance/characteristics vs the well-known brands such as AQ Diamond...etc.

Thanks a lot!

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Hi Priaptor,

I have PPA Studio Tz Yun II SATA cables but never tried his USB cables.

Are yours the Tz Yun II or the newest Tz Yun III USB cables?
Please tell us more on its performance/characteristics vs the well-known brands such as AQ Diamond...etc.

Thanks a lot!

Using Pang's new III SATA and USB cables. Fantastic.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
You keep referering to the SATA cables in plural. Excuxse my ignorance, but how many SATA cables are in a server? Which components are connected through SATA interface. I ordered just one for my server, and leave it to the expert to decide where to put it.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
You keep referering to the SATA cables in plural. Excuxse my ignorance, but how many SATA cables are in a server? Which components are connected through SATA interface. I ordered just one for my server, and leave it to the expert to decide where to put it.

Sorry the pleural was referring to both USB and SATA. You need just one. You are correct. It connects to the motherboard and the SSD just like any other cable. I also highly recommend you purchase Acoustic Revive's Ethernet filter (http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/acousticrevive3/1.html). Another amazing product.

You have ordered all the right things. The Acoustic Revive is not something the builder needs. It gets connected to your AudioPC and the ethernet cable to it.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Sorry the pleural was referring to both USB and SATA. You need just one. You are correct. It connects to the motherboard and the SSD just like any other cable. I also highly recommend you purchase Acoustic Revive's Ethernet filter (http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/acousticrevive3/1.html). Another amazing product.

You have ordered all the right things. The Acoustic Revive is not something the builder needs. It gets connected to your AudioPC and the ethernet cable to it.

Thanks. For now, I am running my files from locally attached USB storage. I may go back to streaming from my NAS at some point and consider this filter.

Nyal Mellor

Industry Expert
Jul 14, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA, USA

catastrofe

Feb 17, 2012
Saint Louis
You guys are all crazy with these SATA cables, filters, etc!

Edorr you could have got this chassis: http://www.shop.perfecthometheater....file-HTPC-aluminum-chassis-HTPC-FC10-OD-B.htm. That's the one I'm using

Also I think my AudioPhilleo USB/SPDIF converter sounds better than the Lynx AES16e into my DEQX HDP4.

The Audiophilleo is a great piece. I had one early on, before I went to my MSB DAC IV with its 384K USB input. My next step is to eliminate the need for USB conversion altogether by moving from my server to a Sonore Rendu: http://sonore.us/index7.html

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL

Edorr you could have got this chassis: http://www.shop.perfecthometheater....file-HTPC-aluminum-chassis-HTPC-FC10-OD-B.htm. That's the one I'm using

Also I think my AudioPhilleo USB/SPDIF converter sounds better than the Lynx AES16e into my DEQX HDP4.

Anyone posting on these pages is crazy. Anyone involved in this absurd OCD hobby by definition is crazy. I know one guy who has a system worth 500K listening to CDs and he thinks I am crazy and I think he is crazy. Then of course my partner who has spent no more than 3k for his system thinks I am crazy.

By the way, I see you sell power strips, conditioners, sequencers, etc, so you are crazy, just in your own way:p

Last edited:

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA

Nyal, "crazy" is quite an apt description. In my experience, some of these tweaks do absolutely nothing, others do. Unfortunately, only way to find out is ask a few fellow crazies for their opinion, take the leap and hear for yourself.

The FC10 chassis is exactly what I am getting - based on you earlier mentioning it (I also just ordered some drapes from rosebrand - I do listen to you!). However, it is out of stock in the US, so I'm ordering it from the UK. The only fanless alternative that can accomodate 2 cards is a tower, which I don't want.

I will be using the Lynx card stictly for MCH. The Multi-channel AES/EBU outs from the lynx card will initially go into my Trinnov processor. Next, I will install Dirac Live on the server and try to take the Trinnov out of the chain.

For 2 channel I will use the SotM USB card into the USB input on my MSB. USB direct into my DAC sounded better than my offramp 5 converter, so I got all bases covered.

I believe you are doing the same thing (USB for 2 channel, Lynx for MCH), but use the USB from the motherboard instead of the SotM card. I am also getting the battery powersupply.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing