Sometimes You Do Get What You Pay For -- A Celebration of High Value Audio Products

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I'm hoping that WBF members will contribute their personal experiences with high end audio products that offer high value for the audiophile dollar. This thread is not meant to be limited to inexpensive products, rather products you have used that provide great value. As Warren Buffett has noted "price is what you pay, value is what you get". And yes, value will necessarily, in part be subjective. I want this thread to be positive, so no pot shots if you don't have experience with the equipment.

In that spirit...

Daedalus Audio Ulysses speakers.
Hand crafted full range floor standing speakers by Lou Hinkley who is absolutely one of the nicest people in audio. He is a professional caliber guitarist and initially started building speakers for musicians and recording studios. Cabinets are handmade from a choice of beautiful hardwoods finished with dovetail joints. The speakers are extremely efficient, rated at 98db. I've coaxed medium volumes in my small listening room from a 1< Watt 45 tube amp but would recommend a minimum of 3-5 Watts. The speakers are extremely dynamic. One of my horn afficianado friends remarked that these are dynamic speakers for people who like horns. One of the things I've grown to appreciate is how these speakers get out of the way and reveal what is happening upstream. Assessing component changes upstream is a breeze. In my system, the Ulysses are somewhat finicky with respect to positioning, but this may be a function of my relatively small room. Ultimately, I have been able to achieve very good soundstaging and image depth. Lou now includes an upgraded all-poly crossover.

More information at http://www.daedalusaudio.com/index.html. When I was shopping for a replacement for my WATT/Puppies, I auditioned several speakers, some of which cost much more. I think these would be a reasonable value at twice the price.

Last edited:

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
For a digital front end...trans and dac, the PS Audio PWT and the Mk 2 dac combo via I2S are hard to beat for $8k. There will be a full review in the upcoming TAS.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Moderator -- could you please fix the typo in the thread title. Thanks!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
HRS nimbus couplers & dampers, EAT tube dampers...things i probably will always leave in my system.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I think a lot of "boutique" speaker manufacturers (Tyler, GR Research, VMPS, even Legacy) make products which qualify as bargains. Daedalus certainly qualifies, and I think Sanders does as well. One thing i have noticed with this type of product, though (and it may partly have to do with the sheer size of many of these speakers) is that they have comparatively less value on the used market than some bigger names.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
*Magnepan Speakers,
Sanders ESL Speakers
*HiFIMan HE500 Headphones
*HFIMan EF5
M2Tech Young DAC
Antique Sound Lab Hurricane Monoblocks 200/Ch
*Denon DL-100 Cartridges
Seaton Submersive Subwoofers
*Sutherland Ph3D Phono Stage

I have had direct experience with all of these and own those with an asterisk ...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
On the second-hand market: SF Extrema, Celestion SL6si and SL600, Wilson X-1/Grand Slamms, TA Ref cables (pre-MM1), Forte 4 amp, CJ MV60 amp, Gryphon Antileon, Krell FPB Series, ARC Ref 3. For the money that these trade for in the 2nd hand market, these (to my ears) have produced magic that rivals many of today's latest models even if perhaps on some technical elements they may no longer be best-in-class. Depreciation has far outpaced the 'decline' in quality for these products which i find 'timeless' in some respects.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
The Well Tempered TT's and arm. Clever engineering brought to bear on problems that others just throw money at. Plus, IMHO, somewhat underrated.
If we're talking second- hand, then the ARC D series, can still be had for a song.

Last edited:

Roger Dressler

Industry Expert
Aug 4, 2011
Oregon
I use my MacBook Pro with AudioMulch to evaluate headphone processing algorithms for my client, and I needed to upgrade the audio with an external headphone amp I can take on the road. I found the Headstage Arrow 12HE 4G and could not be happier. Headroom galore and plenty of noiseless gain. It is especially useful as it has a bass boost that does not muddy up the sound for my HD-600s. A pure analog design. I also ordered the clever USB DAC cable which bypasses the MBP's internal DAC. Money well spent.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
The best I have encountered so far is the Dodd MLP tubed preamplifier from Dodd Audio. Great build quality, separate power supply, incredible sound. One of 72 ever made and the one I was lucky enough to acquire is one of a kind. It is the only one in existence with a remote control. Incredible sound, especially for the cost [$4200.00 USD new, discontinued]. Great thread, jazdoc. :)

Tom

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
HW 16.5 Record Cleaning Machine from VPI- not the latest, fanciest or necessarily the best, and certainly not the quietest, but relatively inexpensive, does the job well, making proper record cleaning accessible to vinyl users at virtually any stage of the hobby and reliable- mine is easily 22 years old, and with a fresh vacuum tube when needed, still does the job.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
During the last few days I have listened to several great systems of friends and shops - Dartzeel NHB458, Aida's, Alaxandria X2 and XLF, top Krell's, Metronome's Kalista's, etc. IMHO and considering my musical taste the big winner in high value was the Audio Research REF 610T fitted with KT120's. Paired with Anniversary REF40 or the REF5SE it lifted the performance of every system when it was inserted to another level of musicality. Can not imagine how a REF750 would sound!

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I use my MacBook Pro with AudioMulch to evaluate headphone processing algorithms for my client, and I needed to upgrade the audio with an external headphone amp I can take on the road. I found the Headstage Arrow 12HE 4G and could not be happier. Headroom galore and plenty of noiseless gain. It is especially useful as it has a bass boost that does not muddy up the sound for my HD-600s. A pure analog design. I also ordered the clever USB DAC cable which bypasses the MBP's internal DAC. Money well spent.

You slid right by what I think is one of the best bargains in the business -- the MacBook Pro. $1100 gets you a digital source and the software to run it. Installing your CDs onto it eliminates the overwhelming majority of skips, pops, snags and other problems in the process. Galvanic isolation and re-clocking outside of the MacBook itself (a well-design asynchronis USB DAC will do) addresses any jitter and/or nosie issues a busy computer may cause (though my MacBook, unisolated, is actually quieter than a lot of audiophile components). The fan hardly ever comes on and the HD is as quiet as a mouse, so if you want to argue with us, or surf to the greatest liner notes in the world while you're listening, it won't get in your way.

And they throw in a fully functional laptop for free. :)

Worried about noise? Get a Mac mini instead, put it in another room and control it remotely with your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch. That's even less money.

Tim

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I have swapped many IC cables over the years, but my Siltech FTM-4 Gold ($2,850 list) have stayed with me all this years . bought them pre-owned and keepers for sure.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
You slid right by what I think is one of the best bargains in the business -- the MacBook Pro...

Tim

The question here (of course) is whether it's really not such a great bargain compared to a much cheaper Windows laptop modified like Gary's (which certainly won't sound worse, and perhaps noticeably better). I'm reading and typing on an iMac BTW.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
You slid right by what I think is one of the best bargains in the business -- the MacBook Pro. $1100 gets you a digital source and the software to run it. Installing your CDs onto it eliminates the overwhelming majority of skips, pops, snags and other problems in the process. Galvanic isolation and re-clocking outside of the MacBook itself (a well-design asynchronis USB DAC will do) addresses any jitter and/or nosie issues a busy computer may cause (though my MacBook, unisolated, is actually quieter than a lot of audiophile components). The fan hardly ever comes on and the HD is as quiet as a mouse, so if you want to argue with us, or surf to the greatest liner notes in the world while you're listening, it won't get in your way.

And they throw in a fully functional laptop for free. :)

Worried about noise? Get a Mac mini instead, put it in another room and control it remotely with your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch. That's even less money.

Tim

Well if it comes t this Gary's "music server" is another Home Run... The recommended Toshiba laptop plus a few hours to read and enter the instructions (no need to understand much just stupidly follow them) and you have a stupendously good but inexpensive music server. Cost around $350 and about 3 hours to set up.
For those who are holding on music server this is IMHO the most benign, inexpensive and sure way to have an idea of how good and inexpensive digital can be ...Well you still need a good DAC.. There are many, asynch USB preferred.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Sometimes you get MUCH MORE than what you pay for

You get SOTA, or close to it: Spectral gear

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
You get SOTA, or close to it: Spectral gear

Ack

While in a debate we would discuss long and hard what is SOTA. Spectral gear are that in measurements and in sound: SOTA. There are brands with mystique and they make sure of selling their gear with the appropriate "mystical" price tag. in this context not only that Spectral gear are fully the equal of superior of many of those brands but their prices are (again in the context) sane... to remain in the spirit of the thread, a celebration of high value in High End

I know you own Spectral and you know they take a back seat to no other... In term of measurements (OK I know they mean nothing to many, still ) are always spectacular and often unsurpassed in all aspects one cares to point to ... Your post could qualify for the understatement of the decade :)

close to SOTA???? Spectral??? Come on Man!!

NO! Spectral is SOTA

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Ack

While in a debate we would discuss long and hard what is SOTA. Spectral gear are that in measurements and in sound: SOTA. There are brands with mystique and they make sure of selling their gear with the appropriate "mystical" price tag. in this context not only that Spectral gear are fully the equal of superior of many of those brands but their prices are (again in the context) sane... to remain in the spirit of the thread, a celebration of high value in High End

I know you own Spectral and you know they take a back seat to no other... In term of measurements (OK I know they mean nothing to many, still ) are always spectacular and often unsurpassed in all aspects one cares to point to ... Your post could qualify for the understatement of the decade :)

close to SOTA???? Spectral??? Come on Man!!

NO! Spectral is SOTA

Frankly, no disagreement from me here :D - I was just being a little humble in case there is something else that surpasses them and I haven't heard it. And more to the point: indeed, a celebration of high value in High End

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing