Great Jazz Pianists and Recording/Video/books articles about them you like.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
HI

There is another thread going about the best pianist who ever lived and the unwritten requirement is that the pianist be a Western Classical pianist. I am interested in great Jazz pianists in this thread. I don't mind people coming up with who they believed was the best who ever lived, it makes for a lively discussion. I am ultimately interested in learning about the pianists themselves, the great, the not well known but nonetheless noteworthy. I have my own "stable" of pianists I find myself listening to regularly. I evenhave one that I think is one of the greatest ever... but from time to time you meet a recording by another artists playing a different style that gives you pause and have you reflecting on your previous point of view.

I am for the record a big fan of Thelonious Monk, a true genius, an iconoclast with a style to match but there were less flamboyant character to whom the moniker genius could also be attached to their names.. The most obvious would be Duke Ellington, a gigantic musical genius .. There was Oscar Robertson a virtuoso with few peers (Oh yes people he was that good!), There is another virtuoso who is not that well known but would stroke a piano in an almost unmatched way, Eroll Garner there was Fats Wallers virtuoso of course too and with a way to express incredibly well what he felt, deep thoughts and feelings on the piano, ther was Art Tatum who's likely one of the 5 best pianists (regardless of genre) who ever lived.. he could probably play ANY genre to the Genius level. Drop in Western Classical and he would be at ease or whatever genre you choose. His technique was that good and so flawless as to leave most, including several on my list gasping for air ... And there is a those who ae still with us among these one looking like a 40 years old man that he is not (72 years old) Herbie Hancock and there was Ahmad Jahmal and there was the strange person who went by the name of Sun Ra an eclectic musician and an accomplished pianist ... And there is Martial Solal likely unknown in the USA but an accomplished and superior pianist , I don;t put him in the category of the Ellington, Peterson, Monk, Tatum etc but he was nonetheless a very good pianist .. Heard him live an oportunity I missed with Peterson and many others on my list
There are many others .. Waiting for your albums recommendations, video, books, articles, podcasts, spotify links, Pandora any media that is NOT annoying... an open ended definition: for some anything digital is... their loss :)

P.S.

A picture of Herbie Hancock at 70 years old (2010)

Herbie_Hancock_2010_by_Guillaume_Laurent.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Bill Evans, Bud Powell. I like the idea that you listed Errol Garner, he's sort of forgotten. I have some promo pressings of his from way back- he was from my hometown.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Last edited:

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
What

I like Erroll Garner.. A good introduction:

Concert By The Sea

51IO-VETZEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Last edited:

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
http://jazzicons.com/
This is the definitive series for live classic jazz. There is a great Monk set and so much more.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
What

I like Erroll Garner.. A good introduction to his playing his this album

Concert By The Sea

View attachment 4494
Yep, in fact, it might be an earlier recording of that which i have- i'll have to dig it out, it's a couple discs, unfortunately no cover, just sleeves, must have acquired 30 years ago. He had a very light touch. We used to have a vintage Bosendorfer here at home, thing never, ever stayed in tune, but when it was 'voiced' (and stayed ok for a day or three), the high registers literally sang. (His playing remined me a little of that piano, although I think O. Peterson actually used a Bosendorfer) I brought a pretty famous piano tech over to the house to get him to look at it (He used to do work on Leonard B's piano's)- and he looked, poked around, looked again and said: 'buy a Steinway.'

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
A few other great jazz pianists with a couple personal recommendations for each include:

Sonny Clark
"Cool Struttin'"
"Sonny's Crib"

Benny Green
"Source"
"Testifyin'"

Tommy Flanagan
"Overseas"
"The Cats"

Hank Jones
"For My Father"
"Direct From LA" (Great Jazz Trio)

A couple more recommendations for the more adventurous...

Cecil Taylor
"Conquistador!"
"Live In Bologna"

Ethan Iverson (The Bad Plus)
"These Are The Vistas"
"Suspicious Activity?"

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
A few other great jazz pianists with a couple personal recommendations for each include:

Sonny Clark
"Cool Struttin'"
"Sonny's Crib"

Benny Green
"Source"
"Testifyin'"

Tommy Flanagan
"Overseas"
"The Cats"

Hank Jones
"For My Father"
"Direct From LA" (Great Jazz Trio)

A couple more recommendations for the more adventurous...

Cecil Taylor
"Conquistador!"
"Live In Bologna"

Ethan Iverson (The Bad Plus)
"These Are The Vistas"
"Suspicious Activity?"
I've been digging Hank lately.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
This record is really a fitting elegy for Hank Jones. I'm lucky to have the LP but have heard the SACD which is excellent:

Has a killer version of Herbie Hancock's "Cantaloupe Island"

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
This record is really a fitting elegy for Hank Jones. I'm lucky to have the LP but have heard the SACD which is excellent:

Has a killer version of Herbie Hancock's "Cantaloupe Island"
Nice. Howz the vinyl, sonically?

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Definitely a hot pressing.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Although primarily know for his songwriting, including "Take the 'A' Train" and "Chelsea Bridge" (composed as a teenager!), Billy Strayhorn also released a few albums playing piano. His best known LP was "Johnny Hodges with Billy Strayhorn and Orchestra" (Verve, 1962).

David Hadju wrote a wonderful biography "Lush Life" that I would highly recommend. http://www.amazon.com/Lush-Life-Bio...=1343405054&sr=1-1&keywords=billy+strayhorn#_. Not only does it cover Strayhorn's and Ellington's musical genius but it explores American culture in the mid-20th century for a high profile African American who had the guts to live out of the closet. Despite this, Lena Horne desperately wanted to marry him!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing