The origin of arts according to Harvard

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Have it your way, opus. If a tree falls in the forest is a deep philosophical question about human perception and the nature of reality. Pondering it will lead to a firm grasp of Truth because there is a right and, evidently, at least a couple of wrong answers. Enjoy.

Tim

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
--- Thy who can 'feel' the Earth's rotation and with all the world's vibrations is becoming closer to man's awereness and understanding. And only then he can fine-tune his environment in a balanced and harmonious tomorrow.

Let the rivers run clean and pure so that our future children can enjoy fishing in them.

Who said that? ;)

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
At tims some postions taken by some members of this WBF are startling. I had thought that the anthropocentric view of the universe was so passse. Now it seems that we have come full circle and a sound don't seem to exist if no one is there to hear it ... Do we need to go there ... The existence ofthe Universe has to nothing to do with our ability to ponder it .. We are now seeing phenomenon that occurred when we were just trying to go upright (well this also may be attacked but hety!!) Some Stars whose light we are receiving may not even exist anymore .. Does anyone honestly believe that we have to be there for these to exist? That only our presence (and or observation) determine the existence or occurrence of a a phenomenon? Really? Really ????
Haven't read the article yet .. I will later, for now .. I find these positions childish and no matter how thick the veneer of language and innuendo one manages to put on these, they remain insincere shots at logic and they do fail as they should ...

Oh and before I forget If a tree falls in a Forrest it still makes noise that we be there to perceive the noise or not ...

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Oh and before I forget If a tree falls in a Forrest it still makes noise that we be there to perceive the noise or not ...

Frantz,

Ignoring the philosophical issues, the main objective question is not the nature of physical vibration, but the definition of sound and its relation to perception ...
BTW, the subject is not childish - the sentence comes form the book Physics by Charles Riborg Mann and George Ransom Twiss, and was debated in many scientific publications.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
There is no right answer here.

Agreed Tim. It's a Rorschack test. Whatever you see is correct.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Frantz,

Ignoring the philosophical issues, the main objective question is not the nature of physical vibration, but the definition of sound and its relation to perception ...
BTW, the subject is not childish - the sentence comes form the book Physics by Charles Riborg Mann and George Ransom Twiss, and was debated in many scientific publications.

It is a take of the anthropocentric view of the world. There was a strong Anthropocentric movement in philosophy at the beginning of the last century in Science .. Of course it din't last. although its tenets are ofen resurrected by some anti-environmentalist and indeed environmentalist factions. While some serious philosophers , one of the most famous being John Passmore have debated the issue, it is to me akin to the question of how many angels can dance on a pin ... In other words wasting good amount of intellectual energy (if such thing exist :) ). The absence of observation cannot negate the existence of a phenomenon this to me is a given: that I wasn't there during the WW2 doesn't mean it never happened. Tree falls ... there is noise (ok call it a sound) and you may not be there to hear it but it did disturb other things ... Now as for the nature of noise .. Rap is music to me and Noise to many of my friends and likely to many here on the WBF .. Point of view , opinions on what constitute arts or "music" debatable but hardly something one could come with a factual argumentation...

JasonI

Dec 3, 2010
Let's get pedantic and call the result a mechanical pressurization of matter in the immediate vicinity.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
It is a take of the anthropocentric view of the world. There was a strong Anthropocentric movement in philosophy at the beginning of the last century in Science .. Of course it din't last. although its tenets are ofen resurrected by some anti-environmentalist and indeed environmentalist factions. While some serious philosophers , one of the most famous being John Passmore have debated the issue, it is to me akin to the question of how many angels can dance on a pin ... In other words wasting good amount of intellectual energy (if such thing exist :) ). The absence of observation cannot negate the existence of a phenomenon this to me is a given: that I wasn't there during the WW2 doesn't mean it never happened. Tree falls ... there is noise (ok call it a sound) and you may not be there to hear it but it did disturb other things ... Now as for the nature of noise .. Rap is music to me and Noise to many of my friends and likely to many here on the WBF .. Point of view , opinions on what constitute arts or "music" debatable but hardly something one could come with a factual argumentation...

Exactly - this definition of sound is anthropocentric (love the word, much more serious SOUNDING than Galileo Galilei heliocentric) and it why it is valuable for audio. Any one having watched ET knows his sound priorities were different. ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing