"New" Mobile Fidelity Vinyl Pressings

Phil,

That's not one of the lowest #'s but should be still respectable. I have found that sub 500 is usually a little better. I do agree that the Getz/Gilberto 200 g Anadisc is definitely better, but then it is one of the VERY best pressings in the whole MFSL catalog, IMO. Same with the Muddy Waters MFSL 200 gram, etc. I do think that my Barber Cole Mix is a very good LP, not in the league of Getz/Gilberto, BUT you are setting a VERY high bar. How does your Premonitions copy sound in relation to your MFSl Getz/Gilberto?

The Mulligan meets Webster is very good, surpassed only by the new ORG release. Also the MFSL Oxygene, Equinoxe, and Fantasy World of Bernard Herrmann are quite good.

Phil,

That's not one of the lowest #'s but should be still respectable. I have found that sub 500 is usually a little better. I do agree that the Getz/Gilberto 200 g Anadisc is definitely better, but then it is one of the VERY best pressings in the whole MFSL catalog, IMO. Same with the Muddy Waters MFSL 200 gram, etc. I do think that my Barber Cole Mix is a very good LP, not in the league of Getz/Gilberto, BUT you are setting a VERY high bar. How does your Premonitions copy sound in relation to your MFSl Getz/Gilberto?
In an effort to avoid the madness associated with finding particular pressings of vintage records, the modern audiophile turns to modern reissues, only to find that the early pressings of modern reissues are demonstrably better.... :)

In an effort to avoid the madness associated with finding particular pressings of vintage records, the modern audiophile turns to modern reissues, only to find that the early pressings of modern reissues are demonstrably better.... :)

Sad but true as it happened to me a few years ago. A friend who had patience searching out the original titles brought some to A/B with my re-issues. We compared RCA's Belafonte Live at Carnegie Hall and Mancini's Hatari. Starting that time, I was convinced a lot of originals out there sounded more natural, although the caveat is to be patient in hunting for a NM copy of the originals. As the QRP Cat Stevens Tea for the Tillerman has taken a beating in another thread, I cling on dearly to my original Pink Island UK pressing. :)

Sad but true as it happened to me a few years ago. A friend who had patience searching out the original titles brought some to A/B with my re-issues. We compared RCA's Belafonte Live at Carnegie Hall and Mancini's Hatari. Starting that time, I was convinced a lot of originals out there sounded more natural, although the caveat is to be patient in hunting for a NM copy of the originals. As the QRP Cat Stevens Tea for the Tillerman has taken a beating in another thread, I cling on dearly to my original Pink Island UK pressing. :)
I have yet to sort through all my old copies of Harry at the Hall. I must have a dozen, picked up here and there at record stores back in the pre-Internet days, all of them cheaply. I should sit down someday and listen through each of them, and note which ones sound good. The ones I do remember listening to back in the day were all pretty noisy, but that may be part of the old RCA 'magic.'
I'm with you on the Tea thing. I have: UHQR, bought new when it came out, various reissues, a UK pink rim and a UK pink label with the litle white 'i.' Fact is, I got tired of the record because it got so overplayed at one point. Ditto on Look of Love- I don't know how many copies of that one i have either, betting at least 6 or 8. (At least with Look, that 45 rpm reissue works pretty nicely when I'm in the mood for it- that's another one that I had to quit listening to for a while because it got so overplayed back in the day).
I've been trying to find old copies of 60's-70's pop on normal pressings that sound good- mostly e-bay cheapies, where I can take the risk for low dollars. So far, I've found great sounding copies of B,S & T's second album, Chicago II (at least one side sounds fab), the old Janis Ian 'Between the Lines.' For kicks, I fired up a really old WB copy of Moondance the other day- I think it was the one I bought when it came out- I was surprised -it sounded better than I thought it would.
I also have at least dozen copies of RL Jones first album, from the MFSL reissue way back when, to a variety of different pressings from different countries. Ditto on multiples of 'Girl at her Volcano' which is an EP i really like- but as far as I remember, almost all of those are a little noisy (though that record can really come alive).
I really should not only to organize my records, but go through the various pressings and sort them sonically. That's work, and I don't think I could stand listening to, say, Dark Side of the Moon 10 times in a row, to determine which one sounds best. Despite my lament, I do appreciate forum postings that identify sonically good copies where it is possible to identify them by country of origin, stamper number, etc.
I probably bought most of the old HP list back in the day, but I can't say i have the best pressings of some of the Mercurys and RCAs. Ditto on the Lyrita's, the Bluebacks, various Deccas, London FFrs, etc.
And when I do go hunting in the stacks, I can never find the thing I'm looking for!

+1

Good one! Modern reissues have one major advantage over older pressings - they are usually quieter. But I find that I listen to the music and my brain tunes out the noise. Many others cannot.

Quality Vinyl

Christian, I am supposing that you are referring to the LP's Mythologies and The Cole Porter Mix. If this is the case, that is odd as my copies are pristine and very unlike some of the screwed up Classic Records that I own. Perhaps it's a luck of the draw these days with most any vinyl. Although, I have had very good luck with all of the newer MFSL's that i own, not so with the Classic's. BTW,not to be controversial, BUT my Quality records pressing of Tea for the Tillerman is a disaster; not so much in the sense that there is surface noise ( although there is some) BUT in the horrible recording that sounds to my ears as VERY digital and unmusical. I suspect that no one really listened to this recording prior to its release. Which is exactly what HP felt when he listened to the LP as well.

Agree 100% re: Quality Vinyl. Just bought Meat Loaf's one off "Bat Out of Hell". Absolute shiite. Thin, reedy, no bass, vocals lost in the mix. A real POS. Will avoid this label from here out.

One of the things that was apparent from the 'old' MoFi releases, of which I have quite a few - is their bumped up bass and treble. Comparing a MoFi from the early days to a good original pressing, the latter usually wins out. I don't own that many new MoFi LPs- I gather that they vary in SQ (now I'm not talking about pressing quality, but how the record has been mastered, perhaps what the source material is that it was taken from, and the EQ placed on it).
PS Pingu- I believe QRP does pressings for various labels, not just Chad's Analogue Productions.*
And what you are describing seems to have less to do with the pressing process and more with how the record was taken from source and mastered. See my comment above, re MoFi. I think the QRP of Tea was an Analog Productions record.

_______
*I may be mistaken here, for example the Verve reissues are licensed to AP. But the point about the mastering process and the source material is still valid; in other words, the complaint you describe may not be the pressing quality per se. FWIW, some of the records I have that were pressed by QRP sound outstanding.

Last edited:
i heard from a former classic records employee that RTI no longer would set aside a press for 200g only 180g and were too busy serving non-audiophile labels with bigger orders.

Chad's opening of QRP was a masterstroke, his timing is impeccable like everything else he's accomplised. imo, QRP has surpassed RTI in quality and they just keep getting better. hand pressed UHQRs from QRP are right around the corner, watch this space! :b

Agree 100% re: Quality Vinyl. Just bought Meat Loaf's one off "Bat Out of Hell". Absolute shiite. Thin, reedy, no bass, vocals lost in the mix. A real POS. Will avoid this label from here out.

Pingu, I have a question for you...have you heard the original pressing of that Meatloaf LP? I ask this, as it is very possible that the original recording was very poor to begin with. Nothing is going to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear ( neat little saying that, huh:D)

was there ever a decent release of Bat out of hell? lots of discussion on other forums re this particular meat loaf title, including some back story about the master being destroyed in a fire and inferior back up tapes were used ever since. its also unanimous the SACD is appalling.

Pingu, I have a question for you...have you heard the original pressing of that Meatloaf LP? I ask this, as it is very possible that the original recording was very poor to begin with. Nothing is going to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear ( neat little saying that, huh:D)

And the CD is a total mess! ...And both I and II.

Here's another question, perhaps one more to the point...why on earth would anyone make a re-issue of a very inferior recording onto an a'phile label in the first place? We all know the answer to that one:(.

Have you tried playing the albums a couple of times? Most audiophile labels don't dehorn the lacquers any more and the grooves sometimes need to be traced once or twice to get the noise out. PS, I also find dehorning screws up the upper octaves.

Excellent point/suggestion. When I received my 200g CR Tubular Bells it was noisier than a firecracker and I was totally bummed out. Someone said I should have purchased the 180g version, and that may be so, but I can't afford to buy doubles of audiophile pressings, so I had to live with my mistake. Fortunately, after a few playings the noise started to remove itself and now has become quite acceptable, although still not what I think it should have been from the outset.

Regarding Mofi - I've been very happy with the ones I've purchased in the last year, and that includes their Silver Series. I think they've upped their game.

Having read this by Scott Dorsey some time back (very appropriate post Myles) I find it strange that "someone" would think that vinyl pressing could be better than the tape it was made from.

How LPs Are Made
Understanding the art of cutting and pressing vinyl
By Scott Dorsey

One of the things that was apparent from the 'old' MoFi releases, of which I have quite a few - is their bumped up bass and treble. Comparing a MoFi from the early days to a good original pressing, the latter usually wins out. I don't own that many new MoFi LPs- I gather that they vary in SQ (now I'm not talking about pressing quality, but how the record has been mastered, perhaps what the source material is that it was taken from, and the EQ placed on it).
PS Pingu- I believe QRP does pressings for various labels, not just Chad's Analogue Productions.*
And what you are describing seems to have less to do with the pressing process and more with how the record was taken from source and mastered. See my comment above, re MoFi. I think the QRP of Tea was an Analog Productions record.

_______
*I may be mistaken here, for example the Verve reissues are licensed to AP. But the point about the mastering process and the source material is still valid; in other words, the complaint you describe may not be the pressing quality per se. FWIW, some of the records I have that were pressed by QRP sound outstanding.

Have you listened to some of the older MOFIs recently? I think they're better than we thought a decade or two ago.

+1

Good one! Modern reissues have one major advantage over older pressings - they are usually quieter. But I find that I listen to the music and my brain tunes out the noise. Many others cannot.

Again I think what one uses for playback (eg. Cartridge stylus profile as well as linear vs pivoted arm) and electronics (eg SS vs tubes), plays a HUGE role too.

i heard from a former classic records employee that RTI no longer would set aside a press for 200g only 180g and were too busy serving non-audiophile labels with bigger orders.

Chad's opening of QRP was a masterstroke, his timing is impeccable like everything else he's accomplised. imo, QRP has surpassed RTI in quality and they just keep getting better. hand pressed UHQRs from QRP are right around the corner, watch this space! :b

What then were those presses then that Chad bought from Classic Records?

Here's another question, perhaps one more to the point...why on earth would anyone make a re-issue of a very inferior recording onto an a'phile label in the first place? We all know the answer to that one:(.

Why?

Having read this by Scott Dorsey some time back (very appropriate post Myles) I find it strange that "someone" would think that vinyl pressing could be better than the tape it was made from.

How LPs Are Made
Understanding the art of cutting and pressing vinyl
By Scott Dorsey

Other people do too Greg and that logic escapes me also

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing