Could you live with my system?

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I could live with it, and I doubt it's the most modest system here. I have a pair of active monitors with built in DAC and Pre. A digital receiver I'm using as a headphone amp with another built-in DAC and a hard drive full of music files. It doesn't go deep; I'd need a sub or 2 to get there, but within it's range, in my small listening room, it sounds wonderful. Of course you must consider the source; to me, "wonderful" is precise, revealing, very quiet, with excellent imaging. It is not pressurizing a big room with a euphonic lower midrange.

Tim

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
Serenity comes not from what you have but knowing what you can live without. The choice is yours.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Serenity comes from various degrees of drug /alcohol induced altered reality.:b

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
John-It seems like your question was a loaded one. If someone says, "No, I can't live with your system" you have a rebuttal to tell them it's sad if they can't. Do you want honest answers or are you looking for some type of compliments on your system? It appears the latter to me. I'm not trying to pick on you, I just find the question a wee-bit odd along with your rebuttal to someone who gave you an honest answer and they said "No."

If you owned a much higher resolution system and became used to that sound and the quality of that sound, would you be happy if it was snatched away from you and you had to step back down on the ladder of high-fidelity to something you knew was less capable and was leaving a part of the sonic goods on the table that you used to enjoy?

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
I could probably "live" with any most music system since it's the music that's most important to me. But having been fortunate to be able to put together an audio system that allows me to hear deeply into every recording, I would be disappointed with anything short of what I have. Having said that I still enjoy listening to music many hours of each day on the radio.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
---Same here; I listened to a lot of r.a.d.i.o.
And when the timing is right, nothing else matters... :b ...but the music playing.

It ain't the system, it's the music first.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
John, IMHO a system is there for one thing and for one thing only....that's to provide the listener with as much musical pleasure as possible:). Too many 'so-called' a'philes don't realize this and seemingly only buy into the higher the price the better the gear and therefore sound:eek:. To me, IF a system costs $5 and can portray the sound of music and give me musical pleasure, well then I'm a happy man.
If you go on the A'gon site and look at the numerous systems that are posted utilizing mucho expensivo gear and then look to see how they have been set up, ( eg.with large glass windows behind them or with a HUGE TV between the speakers or...I can go on and on) one can just imagine the results:(. However, IF these systems are giving the owners pleasure, then so be it. BUT, I would be willing to bet, that there are numerous systems that are well constructed by knowledgable a'philes that cost a fraction of these same systems that we would all agree are far more spectacular sound wise...just IMHO.
BTW, I would also say your room is a BIG plus in your system ( It is a dedicated space, is it not?....a HUGE advantage, IMO):cool:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
In a word, yes.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
John-It seems like your question was a loaded one. If someone says, "No, I can't live with your system" you have a rebuttal to tell them it's sad if they can't. Do you want honest answers or are you looking for some type of compliments on your system? It appears the latter to me. I'm not trying to pick on you, I just find the question a wee-bit odd along with your rebuttal to someone who gave you an honest answer and they said "No."

If you owned a much higher resolution system and became used to that sound and the quality of that sound, would you be happy if it was snatched away from you and you had to step back down on the ladder of high-fidelity to something you knew was less capable and was leaving a part of the sonic goods on the table that you used to enjoy?

Hi Mark,

I suppose that's a fair observation to make, but not at all what I meant. My response to HJ was not a comment on the fact he couldn't, but only that he needed at least 15K to do so. I should have made that clearer in my reply. I can assure you I am not looking for compliments and have no desire to be stroked, that is just not my nature and never has been.

In reference to your second parapgraph, I have gone through this. I lost a very nice system (worth much more than the one I currently own) due to divorce, a failed business venture and subsequent bankruptcy, and yes.....I didn't like it. For a good decade afterwards I had nothing but a PC and a boombox to enjoy music. It's only been about 5 years since I've started to piece together something that resembled high-fidelity. I guess the question was posed as I enjoy music now as much as I ever have, and have come to conclude that owning higher end gear is not so much of a necessity for me.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
---Same here; I listened to a lot of r.a.d.i.o.
And when the timing is right, nothing else matters... :b ...but the music playing.

It ain't the system, it's the music first.

Y'ou're quote is very true, BUT if it does'nt sound good, i just can't get into the music, for BACKGROUND my computer is fine BUT for serious listening it's my main system in the living room, both give me music just not the same kind, the first one i listend to, the second i FEEL.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Y'ou're quote is very true, BUT if it does'nt sound good, i just can't get into the music, for BACKGROUND my computer is fine BUT for serious listening it's my main system in the living room, both give me music just not the same kind, the first one i listend to, the second i FEEL.

---- Hi Andre,

My r.a.d.i.o. listening is always for background music mostly (working on my desk, outside, etc.).
But sometimes when the music playing is right (Classical, Jazz, Blues, World, Folk, ...) I turn up the volume, and I can even switch systems (from the secondary one to the main one in just few seconds) and still have a very decent sound that will get me at a similar place (emotionally) to where/when I do some serious music listening, and nothing else.
Plus, even from very modest systems, the music playing on the r.a.d.i.o. (analog, digital, HD, etc.), can sound fabulous and propel you where you want to (or not necessary where you want). :b

Passive (r.a.d.i.o.) listening can be as rewarding as Active listening (emotionally);
and Passive gets a door open to a vast repertoire, from which you learn 'bout new artists too.

>>> There is no tool to measure the emotional music listening satisfaction. ...No level indicator.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
---- Hi Andre,

My r.a.d.i.o. listening is always for background music mostly (working on my desk, outside, etc.).
But sometimes when the music playing is right (Classical, Jazz, Blues, World, Folk, ...) I turn up the volume, and I can even switch systems (from the secondary one to the main one in just few seconds) and still have a very decent sound that will get me at a similar place (emotionally) to where/when I do some serious music listening, and nothing else.
Plus, even from very modest systems, the music playing on the r.a.d.i.o. (analog, digital, HD, etc.), can sound fabulous and propel you where you want to (or not necessary where you want). :b

Passive (r.a.d.i.o.) listening can be as rewarding as Active listening (emotionally);
and Passive gets a door open to a vast repertoire, from which you learn 'bout new artists too.

>>> There is no tool to measure the emotional music listening satisfaction. ...No level indicator.

No problem Bob i did mention for ME for others it may be different that i don't know but again for ME if it does'nt sound good i cannot get into the groove.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Hi Mark,

I suppose that's a fair observation to make, but not at all what I meant. My response to HJ was not a comment on the fact he couldn't, but only that he needed at least 15K to do so. I should have made that clearer in my reply. I can assure you I am not looking for compliments and have no desire to be stroked, that is just not my nature and never has been.

In reference to your second parapgraph, I have gone through this. I lost a very nice system (worth much more than the one I currently own) due to divorce, a failed business venture and subsequent bankruptcy, and yes.....I didn't like it. For a good decade afterwards I had nothing but a PC and a boombox to enjoy music. It's only been about 5 years since I've started to piece together something that resembled high-fidelity. I guess the question was posed as I enjoy music now as much as I ever have, and have come to conclude that owning higher end gear is not so much of a necessity for me.

John-Your answer makes sense and I get why you said that now.

Mark

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing