Pain Pills and Musical Revelations

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I’m trying to decide if this is a long story I am trying to make short or if it is a short story I am trying to make long. Well, it will be some kind of story of some length so bear with me.

Sunday night I went to bed and all was fine in my world. 3:00 AM in the morning rolls around and I find myself wide awake and in terrible pain due to one of my teeth. I get up and rummage around the medicine cabinet looking for a bottle of left over pain pills from my last disaster. I find them, take one, and go back to bed. Monday is Memorial Day so it is a holiday which means no doctors or dentists are going to be working. I suck it up, take some more pain pills as needed and plan on going to the dentist on Tuesday.

Before I head off to the dentist, I need to detour this story a little. Everybody who knows me knows that I am a died in the wool tube lover and I don’t like solid state. I have tried to cross back over a couple of times to solid state. The most recent time was when I tired of not being able to keep my Quicksilver MS-190 amps running and I sold them and bought a Pass Labs X-250 amp. This is a great big amp that weighs around 100 lbs and probably 50 of those pounds comes from the ridiculously thick audiophile-approved face plate with the Cyclops eyeball current meter. To make this portion of the story short, the X-250 sucked and it reinforced all of the reasons why I hate solid state so I sold it and bought a Jadis Defy 7MKII.

Now I need to get back to the beginning of the story about when I went to bed on Sunday night and all was fine in my world. That wasn’t quite true because on Saturday night when I was listening to my stereo I noticed some distortion coming from the left channel. I swapped leads from the preamp to the power amp and the distortion stayed in the left channel which told me the amp was the culprit. I then switched speaker leads from the amp to the speakers. Bingo. Now the distortion was in the right speaker so I know the left channel of the Jadis has a problem. I am hoping it is just needs a bias adjustment and not a new set of output tubes. I don’t feel like fooling it with it right now because setting the bias on the Jadis is a pain in the ass. You have to put the 100 lb amp on its side, remove the bottom cover, and fiddle-dick with 3 bias pots for each channel.

So now it’s Tuesday morning and I am ready to head to the dentist. I decide to pack up my broke-dick Teac A-7030 tape deck so I can drop it off at my local Greek repair shop. The A-7030 is cool because it can play back both 2 and 4 track tapes with the big reels and at 15 ips. Also, because the electronics are separate from the deck, the tape heads are brought out on the back to a pair of RCA jacks. As I drop off my tape deck, I eyeball up the inventory the guy has for sale which is mostly vintage receivers in really nice shape. I happen to spot a Phase Linear 400 series 2 amplifier and I kind of smiled because it reminded me of my friends Carver C-500 amp. The C-500 was one of the first amps Carver built after he left Phase Linear and started Carver and it was one of the last amps he built that used a real power supply as we know it. Shortly after, he went to the magnetic field amps. Anyway, I had many good memories of my friend’s C-500 as it really was a good sounding amp with outstanding bass.
So I leave the Greek electronic repair shop and I head to the dentist. I am really in pain and I am looking forward to my dentist fixing it. The dentist takes an X-Ray and gives me some real bad news. My number 31 molar that I previously had a root canal performed and oral surgery that cost me a fortune now had a fractured root. My dentist says that it can’t be fixed and the tooth has to come out. Bummer. He proceeds to give me 4 shots of Novocain which is always a fun time. Just as he was getting ready to pull it, I said, “Doc, you do remember I am on blood thinners right?” He replied, “Shit. No, I forgot.” So now he can’t pull my tooth until I have been off blood thinners for two days. So Doc writes me a prescription for pain pills and we set the appointment for Thursday to pull my tooth.

Fast forward to Thursday. I am on the way to the dentist and I call my Greek repair guy and he says my A-7030 is ready. I told him I was on my way to have a tooth pulled and I would stop by on my way back and pick it up unless my dentist killed me. So Doc shoots me full of Novocain, yanks out the tooth, sews it up, and I am on my way.

I arrive at the Greek electronics repair shop armed with both a 2 track 15 ips tape and a 4 track tape and I run the A-7030 through its paces and it is fine. I then go back and eyeball up the Phase Linear 400 Series 2 again. Knowing that I might need a back up amp for awhile if my Jadis needs new output tubes and I have to order them and wait for them to arrive, I decide to buy the Phase Linear 400. I arrived home and took both the amp and tape deck downstairs to my listening room and just left them. I was in pain and I just didn’t feel like messing with my stereo.

So Friday arrives (yesterday) and I am still in lots of pain and I have to take pain pills all day. I go to work and make it through the day somehow. After I get home, I went downstairs and hooked up the A-7030 and the Phase Linear 400 Series 2 amp and fired up the system. I put a CD on to let the system burn in for awhile. Honestly, I wasn’t expecting much of anything because remember, I don’t like solid state. The last SS amp I had in my system was the Pass Labs X-250 and it sucked so hard it was pulling a vacuum in my room. The other thing that surprised me about the X-250 was I didn’t think it sounded very powerful.

So now it is later on Friday night and I head downstairs to do some serious listening. I’m thinking it might not last more than 5 minutes if I can’t stand this amp. I sure couldn’t stand the X-250. I have a 4 track tape cued up (Blood Sweat and Tears which is awesome), I have a 15 ips 2 track tape cued up on my Otari (a jazz tape I made from LPs which will blow your socks off and make your amps clip more than likely because it is so dynamic). I also have Steely Dan Gaucho cued up on my VPI TNT. I put on Gaucho first not knowing what to expect. Son of a bitch, it sounds pretty damn good. No, it sounds real damn good. Next comes my 15 ips tape which I know like the back of my hand. To say I was surprised at how good this sounded would be an understatement. All of the areas I thought it would fall flat on its SS face it didn’t. It sounded live, the instruments all had air and detail (if you don’t hear air coming off the cymbals in Sonny Rollins Way Out West, there is something very wrong with your stereo). I started playing LP after LP and was just amazed at the speed and drive of this amp not to mention all of the detail it portrayed in a tube type way. And this baby has some balls too. I just kept feeling that I was hearing things that I just wasn’t hearing with my Jadis which is blasphemy in my world. So I went to bed wondering if the pain pills were coloring my perceptions. Today is Saturday and it is the first day since Monday that I haven’t had to take a pain pill. I am going to go down tonight to my listening room and try round 2. We will see. I sure had fun last night even though I couldn’t believe what I was hearing.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I’m trying to decide if this is a long story I am trying to make short or if it is a short story I am trying to make long. Well, it will be some kind of story of some length so bear with me.

Sunday night I went to bed and all was fine in my world. 3:00 AM in the morning rolls around and I find myself wide awake and in terrible pain due to one of my teeth. I get up and rummage around the medicine cabinet looking for a bottle of left over pain pills from my last disaster. I find them, take one, and go back to bed. Monday is Memorial Day so it is a holiday which means no doctors or dentists are going to be working. I suck it up, take some more pain pills as needed and plan on going to the dentist on Tuesday.

Before I head off to the dentist, I need to detour this story a little. Everybody who knows me knows that I am a died in the wool tube lover and I don’t like solid state. I have tried to cross back over a couple of times to solid state. The most recent time was when I tired of not being able to keep my Quicksilver MS-190 amps running and I sold them and bought a Pass Labs X-250 amp. This is a great big amp that weighs around 100 lbs and probably 50 of those pounds comes from the ridiculously thick audiophile-approved face plate with the Cyclops eyeball current meter. To make this portion of the story short, the X-250 sucked and it reinforced all of the reasons why I hate solid state so I sold it and bought a Jadis Defy 7MKII.

Now I need to get back to the beginning of the story about when I went to bed on Sunday night and all was fine in my world. That wasn’t quite true because on Saturday night when I was listening to my stereo I noticed some distortion coming from the left channel. I swapped leads from the preamp to the power amp and the distortion stayed in the left channel which told me the amp was the culprit. I then switched speaker leads from the amp to the speakers. Bingo. Now the distortion was in the right speaker so I know the left channel of the Jadis has a problem. I am hoping it is just needs a bias adjustment and not a new set of output tubes. I don’t feel like fooling it with it right now because setting the bias on the Jadis is a pain in the ass. You have to put the 100 lb amp on its side, remove the bottom cover, and fiddle-dick with 3 bias pots for each channel.

So now it’s Tuesday morning and I am ready to head to the dentist. I decide to pack up my broke-dick Teac A-7030 tape deck so I can drop it off at my local Greek repair shop. The A-7030 is cool because it can play back both 2 and 4 track tapes with the big reels and at 15 ips. Also, because the electronics are separate from the deck, the tape heads are brought out on the back to a pair of RCA jacks. As I drop off my tape deck, I eyeball up the inventory the guy has for sale which is mostly vintage receivers in really nice shape. I happen to spot a Phase Linear 400 series 2 amplifier and I kind of smiled because it reminded me of my friends Carver C-500 amp. The C-500 was one of the first amps Carver built after he left Phase Linear and started Carver and it was one of the last amps he built that used a real power supply as we know it. Shortly after, he went to the magnetic field amps. Anyway, I had many good memories of my friend’s C-500 as it really was a good sounding amp with outstanding bass.
So I leave the Greek electronic repair shop and I head to the dentist. I am really in pain and I am looking forward to my dentist fixing it. The dentist takes an X-Ray and gives me some real bad news. My number 31 molar that I previously had a root canal performed and oral surgery that cost me a fortune now had a fractured root. My dentist says that it can’t be fixed and the tooth has to come out. Bummer. He proceeds to give me 4 shots of Novocain which is always a fun time. Just as he was getting ready to pull it, I said, “Doc, you do remember I am on blood thinners right?” He replied, “Shit. No, I forgot.” So now he can’t pull my tooth until I have been off blood thinners for two days. So Doc writes me a prescription for pain pills and we set the appointment for Thursday to pull my tooth.

Fast forward to Thursday. I am on the way to the dentist and I call my Greek repair guy and he says my A-7030 is ready. I told him I was on my way to have a tooth pulled and I would stop by on my way back and pick it up unless my dentist killed me. So Doc shoots me full of Novocain, yanks out the tooth, sews it up, and I am on my way.

I arrive at the Greek electronics repair shop armed with both a 2 track 15 ips tape and a 4 track tape and I run the A-7030 through its paces and it is fine. I then go back and eyeball up the Phase Linear 400 Series 2 again. Knowing that I might need a back up amp for awhile if my Jadis needs new output tubes and I have to order them and wait for them to arrive, I decide to buy the Phase Linear 400. I arrived home and took both the amp and tape deck downstairs to my listening room and just left them. I was in pain and I just didn’t feel like messing with my stereo.

So Friday arrives (yesterday) and I am still in lots of pain and I have to take pain pills all day. I go to work and make it through the day somehow. After I get home, I went downstairs and hooked up the A-7030 and the Phase Linear 400 Series 2 amp and fired up the system. I put a CD on to let the system burn in for awhile. Honestly, I wasn’t expecting much of anything because remember, I don’t like solid state. The last SS amp I had in my system was the Pass Labs X-250 and it sucked so hard it was pulling a vacuum in my room. The other thing that surprised me about the X-250 was I didn’t think it sounded very powerful.

So now it is later on Friday night and I head downstairs to do some serious listening. I’m thinking it might not last more than 5 minutes if I can’t stand this amp. I sure couldn’t stand the X-250. I have a 4 track tape cued up (Blood Sweat and Tears which is awesome), I have a 15 ips 2 track tape cued up on my Otari (a jazz tape I made from LPs which will blow your socks off and make your amps clip more than likely because it is so dynamic). I also have Steely Dan Gaucho cued up on my VPI TNT. I put on Gaucho first not knowing what to expect. Son of a bitch, it sounds pretty damn good. No, it sounds real damn good. Next comes my 15 ips tape which I know like the back of my hand. To say I was surprised at how good this sounded would be an understatement. All of the areas I thought it would fall flat on its SS face it didn’t. It sounded live, the instruments all had air and detail (if you don’t hear air coming off the cymbals in Sonny Rollins Way Out West, there is something very wrong with your stereo). I started playing LP after LP and was just amazed at the speed and drive of this amp not to mention all of the detail it portrayed in a tube type way. And this baby has some balls too. I just kept feeling that I was hearing things that I just wasn’t hearing with my Jadis which is blasphemy in my world. So I went to bed wondering if the pain pills were coloring my perceptions. Today is Saturday and it is the first day since Monday that I haven’t had to take a pain pill. I am going to go down tonight to my listening room and try round 2. We will see. I sure had fun last night even though I couldn’t believe what I was hearing.

It's called being in la la land.... :) But glad to hear you finally got to see a dentist!

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Bruce-Actually I hate pain pills. They always tear up my stomach. The pain has to be pretty bad before I will even consider taking a pain pill. In the case of this tooth, there was no doubt. Do you have some horror stories?

Mark

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I was going to say "that was a fun story" to read but thought you probably didn't think it was "fun" going through all of that pain :). Anyway, can't wait for part 2! Don't keep us in suspense too long....

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Do you have some horror stories?
Mark

Don't know if you know or not, but I do anesthesia as my day job, though I'm slowly cutting back my hours and working more in the studio. Hopefully by the end of the year I can quit completely.
As an anesthetist, I hate taking meds just as much as the next guy, which is contrary to what the industry says!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Steve's neighbor in the Bay Area, Alexander Shulgin has a lot to say about pills and enjoying music. Hahahahaha. Be prepared for a visit from the DEA though!

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Myles was right. I must have been in La-La land. I went down to listen last night and the "magic" I heard on Friday night wasn't there. Don't get me wrong, it still sounded decent in a SS way, just not how it had when I was taking pain pills to kill off the incredible pain from my tooth problem. I still liked it better than the X-250 and an older Mac amp I used to own. Now I need to get serious with the Defy 7 and take some measurements and see if I just need to rebias the output tubes or replace them. I think Jadis is recommending using KT-88 tubes now instead of 6550s and I am sure Jadis has a specific KT-88 tube they want you to use, but I don't know which one it is.

Mark

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
mep

Very funny story and well told ... It however tells you how much our senses can be fooled ... A little dose of objectivity taken with moderation does bring much enjoyment .... ;)

Frantz

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles was right. I must have been in La-La land. I went down to listen last night and the "magic" I heard on Friday night wasn't there. Don't get me wrong, it still sounded decent in a SS way, just not how it had when I was taking pain pills to kill off the incredible pain from my tooth problem. I still liked it better than the X-250 and an older Mac amp I used to own. Now I need to get serious with the Defy 7 and take some measurements and see if I just need to rebias the output tubes or replace them. I think Jadis is recommending using KT-88 tubes now instead of 6550s and I am sure Jadis has a specific KT-88 tube they want you to use, but I don't know which one it is.

Mark

Reminds me of a joke someone made about Enid Lumley years ago. When this person was asked "do you really believe she hears what she writes about," my friend replied, "sure but not without having smoked a joint." :)

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Myles-Enid gets credit (or blame) for emphasizing the importance of proper grounding and I think she single-handily started the cable footer craze as she was hanging her speaker cables from threads so they wouldn't touch the floor long before that became the craze.

FrantzM-I am glad you enjoyed my story but it doesn't have a happy ending. As I just started a new thread to detail what I found when I opened up the Jadis. All 6 of the bias fuses are blown on the left channel and 2 bias fuses are blown on the right channel.

I am hoping there are some Jadis experts on this forum who can help me out.

Mark

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles-Enid gets credit (or blame) for emphasizing the importance of proper grounding and I think she single-handily started the cable footer craze as she was hanging her speaker cables from threads so they wouldn't touch the floor long before that became the craze.

FrantzM-I am glad you enjoyed my story but it doesn't have a happy ending. As I just started a new thread to detail what I found when I opened up the Jadis. All 6 of the bias fuses are blown on the left channel and 2 bias fuses are blown on the right channel.

I am hoping there are some Jadis experts on this forum who can help me out.

Mark

Enid also did, and a pretty good job at that, the first record cleaning solution survey and pointed out that they all have a "sound."

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Myles-Do you know any Jadis experts? I need some help.

Mark

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi mep,

I'm no expert but blown B+ fuses are almost always traced back to tubes gone bad.

I took the liberty of asking my tech about the Defy 7 for you. According to him, because you have a bias adjuster shared for every row of 3 tubes unlike fully manual biased amp which , in your case, should have one for each, he said that to get the bias right, you may have to switch your tubes around so you can get a good average per row. . Just one off tube in the row would make getting a good average of the three very difficult. Looks like your best bet is 4 matched quads to ensure 3 matched tubes per row, then sell the 4 "spares". Ouch.

I'd hook you up with him except he doesn't speak much english :(

I hope this helps even just a little bit.

Good Luck!

Jack

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles-Do you know any Jadis experts? I need some help.

Mark

Unfortunately, don't any more. Kinda lost track of Jadis after Frank Garbey took over distribution. Googling yielded the following possibilities: Ron Cox, former tech for Northstar Leading the Way, http://www.blackdahlia.com/samadhi/rontubes.htm; US distributor: technical: patrick@jadisinc.com; Da-Hong Seetoo who used to repair Jadis for Victor Goldstein (need to find a contact as he seems to be now concentrating on performing and recording nowadays-in fact winning to Grammys).

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Jack-Thanks for the quick response. I know how to bias the amp. What I don't know is why I blew 8 out of 12 fuses. Each tube has a fuse and if a fuse blows, does that mean the tube is bad or something else is going on? I don't what to buy 12 new tubes and 8 new fuses and just hope everything is going to be alright when I plug everything in.

Myles-I will check with Patrick and see what he has to say assuming he will respond. Thanks.

Mark

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Jack-Thanks for the quick response. I know how to bias the amp. What I don't know is why I blew 8 out of 12 fuses. Each tube has a fuse and if a fuse blows, does that mean the tube is bad or something else is going on? I don't what to buy 12 new tubes and 8 new fuses and just hope everything is going to be alright when I plug everything in.

Myles-I will check with Patrick and see what he has to say assuming he will respond. Thanks.

Mark

See other thread where gave Seetoo's contact info!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Normally it means the tube of that particular fuse has gone bad. I feel for you man. I remember having a stock of B+ fuses for my VK-150s. A change of tubes left me with well, an unused stock of fuses.

I sort of have mixed feelings about your situation. Changing tubes are costly but if something else is causing what amounts to be major failures (going from distortion on one channel to total meltdown on one and a fourth of the other) will likely be expensive and take longer to fix to boot. Besides, I can understand a row of 3 blowing but 2 rows? Looks like there might be something wrong with their common supply.

Still I hope you can get your hands on a tube tester so at least you can rule out one variable without spending much money upfront. I also hope you get your amps fixed. I've always like the Jadis sound. The JA30 being perhaps my favorite of them all. Reliability however was never really on the top of their list of positive attributes, at least not here in the Philippines.

Again, Good luck!

Jack

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing