Manley Chinook

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
I'm sure by now everyone has heard of the recent introduction of the new Chinook phonostage. I find it intriguing, particularly at its price point. Of course the Steelhead is legendary and I wonder if the Chinook keeps the some of the circuitry of its bigger brother sans the flexibility of the Steelhead.

Anybody get an advance look at one, or have one on order perhaps?

I had been toying with the idea of getting the Fosgate Signature, but with the Chinook's introduction right at the Fosgate's price range, it gives me something more to consider.

I'd welcome any comments or experiences that you may have with it.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm sure by now everyone has heard of the recent introduction of the new Chinook phonostage. I find it intriguing, particularly at its price point. Of course the Steelhead is legendary and I wonder if the Chinook keeps the some of the circuitry of its bigger brother sans the flexibility of the Steelhead.

Anybody get an advance look at one, or have one on order perhaps?

I had been toying with the idea of getting the Fosgate Signature, but with the Chinook's introduction right at the Fosgate's price range, it gives me something more to consider.

I'd welcome any comments or experiences that you may have with it.

I think that Wasatch has that unit. Also Mike (KahunaCanuck) over at Blu-ray.com just bought the Fosgate. I need to get him over here...he's got an amazing setup.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
The Chinook looks like the Steelhead active gain phono section without the input trannies or the preamp section. Since most users prefer the active gain part anyway, that makes it a pretty sweet deal for a phono preamp. Had the Steelhead for years and it was outstanding. I prefer the tranformer coupled solutions now, but the Steelhlead was no weakling.

Last edited:

Wasatch

Feb 17, 2012
Layton, UT
Don't have one yet, should be in Jun or Jul.

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
I was tlaking with EveAnna Manley at CES about the Chinook. It is essentially the same circuit as the Steelhead without some of the inputs and other flexibility (e.g., out of the way switches change the load etc.). Very intriguing...!

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
I was tlaking with EveAnna Manley at CES about the Chinook. It is essentially the same circuit as the Steelhead without some of the inputs and other flexibility (e.g., out of the way switches change the load etc.). Very intriguing...!

Any chance a review might be on the horizon?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing